Who was better?

RBreezy

Who would you take?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you take?

• Reid’s Eagles
    • Harbaugh’s 49ers
    • Other (any other team who fits the criteria)

Who do you guys think had the better team(s)? Comparing two perennial contenders who never got over the hump but were consistently in position too. Feel free to add in any other teams who had similar runs. 

2001-2004 Eagles: Head Coach - Andy Reid. Notable players - Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Duce Staley, Tra Thomas, Jon Runyan, T.O., Corey Simon, Hugh Douglas, Jevon Kearse, Jeremiah Trotter, Troy Vincent, Lito Shepherd, Sheldon Brown, Brian Dawkins

4 straight NFC Championship game appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance 

2011-2014 49ers: Head Coach - Jim Harbaugh. Notable players - Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Joe Staley, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Donte Whitner (my bad if I missed anyone, going off the top of my head lol)

3 straight NFC Championship game appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance 

The Reid Eagles teams had a more dominant run, but the NFC was a lot weaker back then. Harbaugh’s Niners faced some really tough opponents in those years (Saints, Legion of Boom, Packers, etc.)

Who ya got?

28 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Edit: Nvm misread the question.

I would probably go with the Eagles.

I'm torn, but I think I'm leaning the Eagles as well, if only because I trust the quarterback more (particularly with Andy Reid), especially if you're doing the entire stretch. The Eagles get the nod in two of the most important matters of the game - Quarterback and Head coach. Frank Gore was also on the downswing at that point (which sounds ridiculous given he's still playing now and averaging 4.5 yards a clip), and honestly, toward the back end of that, so was VD. By 2014, Bowman was shattered (the knee injury that may as well have cratered his career was in 2013), and Willis was dealing with a toe injury that eventually forced him to retire. 

If it were the one year super bowl year against the one super bowl year, I think I'd lean toward the niners. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm torn, but I think I'm leaning the Eagles as well, if only because I trust the quarterback more (particularly with Andy Reid), especially if you're doing the entire stretch. The Eagles get the nod in two of the most important matters of the game - Quarterback and Head coach. Frank Gore was also on the downswing at that point (which sounds ridiculous given he's still playing now and averaging 4.5 yards a clip), and honestly, toward the back end of that, so was VD. By 2014, Bowman was shattered (the knee injury that may as well have cratered his career was in 2013), and Willis was dealing with a toe injury that eventually forced him to retire. 

If it were the one year super bowl year against the one super bowl year, I think I'd lean toward the niners. 

I do wonder how many SBs the 49ers would have won with Peyton at QB rather then Al Bundy. I'm convinced no team from the Ravens or Seahawks SB seasons would have beaten them. 

Both two of the greatest 3+ year window teams that never won a title. It’s close, quite close. I’d probably go with the Eagles by a hair overall, but the best team wasn’t the 2004 Eagles imo. It was the 2012 49ers. One of the greatest teams to never win a Super Bowl and that is coming from someone who dislikes the Niners. 

Archived