Packer Vets - Keep or get rid of for 2019 salary cap reasons

coachbuns

29 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

All figures taken from Spotrac.  The Packers have older vets on the book who may have outlived their contracts.  We can increase our 2019 salary cap to spend on different players if some of these players are cut loose.   These figures reflect amounts the Packers GAIN in salary cap dollars if let go. Certainly there is dead cap money but again, these are gains on the 2019 cap. 

Nick Perry     3.6 million          Jimmy Graham  5.3 million      Mike Daniels    8.5 million     Brian Bulaga  6.75 million     Tramon Williams   4.75 million   Lane Taylor  2.975 million

Mason Crosby  3.6 million    Jason Spriggs  1.1 million

Total amount gained is over 36 million dollars.  Not realistic to let them all go but a couple surely could go.  Which ones would you let go?

Can you show the Post June 1st cut numbers?

Again, used Spotrac for these figures.  Mason Crosby is ranked 31st out of 32 NFL kickers so far this year value-wise when comparing production with what they are being paid.  Out of the top 1/2 of the kickers rated, 12 out of 16 where being paid under 2 million dollars and 10 out of the 16 were being paid a million dollars or less.  We need a major upgrade at a lot of positions due to poor performance and Teds crappy last few drafts.  Replacements in the draft and free agency has to be done to replenish this team.  We have 40 million plus to spend and we are going to need every cent and more to get this team up and running! 

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Again, what are you concerned about 4 million dollars for when we have 40 million?  What exactly do you expect out of this season?

Everybody's acting like it's their money we're spending.  "Eff that bastard, he ain't getting another nickel from me..." 

It's just ridiculous. 

It's like people who called McCarthy fat.  A professional football kicker making 4 million dollars is somehow offensive.  Who gives a ****?  Unless you have a better option ON your roster, you don't cut some guy to save 4 million dollars if you want to win games. 

This just gets so frustrating for me.  Kicker is naturally a streaky position.  It's ridiculously absurd to point to one bad season as a future projection.  Crosby has consistently been an above average kicker with a strong leg that has consistently hit big field goals in big games. 

In 2012 he hit under 65% of his kicks.  We didn't cut him because of a temper tantrum, and he followed that up with a season in which he made 89% of his field goals including 5/7 on 50+ yard field goals with a long of 57.

I'd rather use that money on a guard or 2nd safety, etc. Gute likes to draft ST players. Add kicker to the list. Letting Crosby go is probably an easiest cut for me out of the group being talked about in this thread. 

Interesting point about Bulaga, Cobb, Crosby, Matthews, and T. Williams all possibly departing.

Matthews and Cobb are as good as gone. 

Crosby & T. Williams are 50/50.

I think Bulaga will return.

But I think all 5 of them will be gone by 2020 and I think 2010 is when the Pack next has a legitimate shot of getting to another Super Bowl.

If the Pack does indeed get to another without these 5 on the roster, it will mean that AARON RODGERS AND ONLY AARON RODGERS would have played on the two most recent Super Bowl teams.

I'll handicap this

Perry 80%chance- He has been hurt his entire career and is overpaid. The argument for him staying is because we have cap room, he plays a premium position, and we have no depth, which is fair.

Williams/Grahm- 20-30% chance-Gute just signed them, they aren't bad, slightly overpaid. I could see them getting cut, not likely. 

Daneils 0%- Daniels isn't going anywhere. Still good

Bulaga 15%-  probably is safe. Good when healthy and no alternative

Crosby 70%- I think he takes a paycut or is gone. They'll bring in competition for sure. I'm just worried that we could get a lot worse at kicker 

Spriggs 10%- still on rookie deal. He's a backup

Taylor 10%- he's G 31 on PFF. Serviceable.

I'm also going to disclose, I'm cool moving on from players, I just think that cutting players for cap space so you can sign overrated guys in FA is historically not a winning strategy either. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'd rather use that money on a guard or 2nd safety, etc.

This makes sense if we don't have that 4 million dollars to do so.  We DO have that 4 million dollars.  We are not spending 30 million dollars in free agency, much less 40 million.  We are NOT strapped for cash.  We just aren't. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Can you check Over The Cap?

Dead/Cap Savings

Perry - 3.7M / 10.7M

Graham - 3.6M / 9M

Daniels - No. And the OP should feel bad for even suggesting it.

Bulaga - 1.6M / 6.75M

Williams - 1.625M / 4.75M

Taylor - 1.375M / 4.1M

Crosby - 1.25M / 3.6M

Spriggs - 459K / 1.1M

Without any cuts, the Packers are expected to have about 47M in cap room next season. There's no rush to cut any of the players listed.

If we were, I'd say Williams and maybe Perry go. There's no major harm in keeping the others around. Bulaga and Taylor are starters or depth at the absolute worst. Bring in competition for Crosby. Spriggs, whatever. Let him compete.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

And if we DO draft a kicker, and if that kicker is better than Crosby, and if there's confidence he can keep that up in games and under heavy pressure, THEN you cut Crosby.

Otherwise, anybody who suggests we cut Crosby and THEN find our kicker is out of their damn mind and fueled by petulant rage. 

Very much agree with the bolded part.  In fact, I think that has to happen.  

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

This makes sense if we don't have that 4 million dollars to do so.  We DO have that 4 million dollars.  We are not spending 30 million dollars in free agency, much less 40 million.  We are NOT strapped for cash.  We just aren't. 

And that is before they try to restructure a contract or two.

I could see doing that with a few guys...Perry, Graham, Bulaga.  

Archived