Week 15 Titans vs. Giants

KingTitan

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i don't care about the numbers. i just want him to catch it when he has the chance. he doesn't do that.

He has a 71.4% catch rate and a 4.8% drop rate.

Corey Davis has a 57.4% catch rate and a 9.7% drop rate.

Those stats aren't including today I don't believe.

I think his drops have just been magnified because they were on big plays down the field. I didn't perceive his drop issue to be as big of an issue as you do.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

He has a 71.4% catch rate and a 4.8% drop rate.

Corey Davis has a 57.4% catch rate and a 9.7% drop rate.

Those stats aren't including today I don't believe.

I think his drops have just been magnified because they were on big plays down the field. I didn't perceive his drop issue to be as big of an issue as you do.

that's the thing- literally the majority of his role in the offense is to be a deep threat. that's an important piece of the shanahan/lafleur offense, and he can't execute it consistently.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks Eli was better than Marcus today. A couple of "tight" spirals? OK! 

We haven't needed Mariota the past couple weeks. We've been able to establish the run game... And that's once again something opponents have to fear. It gives the play action dimension an extra boost. 

We probably won't need Marcus to do much this week either. Good defense, strong run game, and a qb that can lead and manage as needed. That's a winning football formula, especially outdoors in December. 

We'll need more Marcus if we make the playoffs, especially if we play in a dome. But i'm confident in Marcus and this team. 

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

that's the thing- literally the majority of his role in the offense is to be a deep threat. that's an important piece of the shanahan/lafleur offense, and he can't execute it consistently.

He definitely needs to do a better job tracking the deep ball, but I wouldn't throw him aside as a special teams player just because of his struggles earlier in the year. I think he's had one drop on a deep ball since the bye, and it was the underthrow last week where it hit him in the face. It should have been caught but he did have to stop and come back to it. Some of the ones earlier in the year, there was the one he got face-masked while trying to catch it and that one in the end zone where it was a really hard catch and isn't rule a drop.

Who have been the consistent speedy deep threats in Shanahan's offenses? Seriously asking. Julio, but he would be more in Corey Davis' role. Davis can go deep too, but it's going to be on route-running than speed.

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I don't know how anyone in their right mind thinks Eli was better than Marcus today. A couple of "tight" spirals? OK! 

We haven't needed Mariota the past couple weeks. We've been able to establish the run game... And that's once again something opponents have to fear. It gives the play action dimension an extra boost. 

We probably won't need Marcus to do much this week either. Good defense, strong run game, and a qb that can lead and manage as needed. That's a winning football formula, especially outdoors in December. 

We'll need more Marcus if we make the playoffs, especially if we play in a dome. But i'm confident in Marcus and this team. 

If Mariota was asked to do anything other than throw a 5 yard pass more than once you would have seen him make mistakes too, but we're fortunate that he didn't have to.

Eli was throwing better balls than Mariota the majority of the time. Neither of the QBs played well.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

He definitely needs to do a better job tracking the deep ball, but I wouldn't throw him aside as a special teams player just because of his struggles earlier in the year. I think he's had one drop on a deep ball since the bye, and it was the underthrow last week where it hit him in the face. It should have been caught but he did have to stop and come back to it. Some of the ones earlier in the year, there was the one he got face-masked while trying to catch it and that one in the end zone where it was a really hard catch and isn't rule a drop.

Who have been the consistent speedy deep threats in Shanahan's offenses? Seriously asking. Julio, but he would be more in Corey Davis' role. Davis can go deep too, but it's going to be on route-running than speed.

marquise goodwin in SF, brandin cooks/sammy watkins in LA (under mcvay of course). taylor gabriel to some extent in ATL but of course having a guy like julio changes things. corey’s good, but he’s obviously not julio, needless to say. 

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

marquise goodwin in SF, brandin cooks/sammy watkins in LA (under mcvay of course). taylor gabriel to some extent in ATL but of course having a guy like julio changes things. corey’s good, but he’s obviously not julio, needless to say. 

I don't really think Goodwin or Gabriel are that much better than Taylor. I think he can do similar things to both of them. Neither has vastly outperformed him with Shannahan.

I guess I just don't think some of the flaws we've seen are dooming down the road with him as a WR. I think he will get over some of the shortcomings, but maybe not.

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

If Mariota was asked to do anything other than throw a 5 yard pass more than once you would have seen him make mistakes too, but we're fortunate that he didn't have to.

Eli was throwing better balls than Mariota the majority of the time. Neither of the QBs played well.

He wasn't asked to do that. Well he das at least once... And Taylor dropped a 1st down inside the 10.

But regardless, the run game was dominating. The weather was bad... No need to try to force things. The Giants had to... And Eli ended up turning the ball over twice. He threw various freaking ducks... High, wobbly throws, prayers... At least 2 were caught... It was insane... That's not what I want from my qb... It's almost comical the shade Mariota gets. But whatever. He's definitely my qb... Has led us to a 5-2 record since the bye... Without much help prior to these last 2 games. 

5 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Fox credits Taylor with 1 drop all season... And that's obviously not correct. He has one last week, he had one against the Chargers, 2 against the Dolphins, and 1 (maybe 2) against the Eagles. Just what I remember. 

But it's at least 6...on what... 25 catches? 

30 catches. He's credited with 3 drops. I know at least one of the ones in Miami wasn't counted as a drop. It would have been a really difficult catch. I don't remember what the other one was against them. Probably the same with the Eagles "drop".

2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He wasn't asked to do that. Well he das at least once... And Taylor dropped a 1st down inside the 10.

But regardless, the run game was dominating. The weather was bad... No need to try to force things. The Giants had to... And Eli ended up turning the ball over twice. He threw various freaking ducks... High, wobbly throws, prayers... At least 2 were caught... It was insane... That's not what I want from my qb... It's almost comical the shade Mariota gets. But whatever. He's definitely my qb... Has led us to a 5-2 record since the bye... Without much help prior to these last 2 games. 

The Giants had at least 5 drops. 

No mention of the weather of affecting Taylor's drop, it's just his fault, but can't say anything about Mariota's left handed looking passes....

Archived