Week 15 Titans vs. Giants

KingTitan

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The source doesn't discredit the play. 
He said he can't. Showed he could. 

He can do everything a QB needs to do.

Making a throw into a window 4 times a year doesn't mean he's doing it on the consistent level of an NFL QB. 

12 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Making a throw into a window 4 times a year doesn't mean he's doing it on the consistent level of an NFL QB. 

Well. I hope you try being fair with your evaluations. Not that either one of our opinions matter in the grand scheme of things. I just think it's going to be a hard couple years for you following this team if that is your view. 

I do appreciate your posts about it the most because you at least try to point to examples and talk with a sense of balance (when not wrapped up in the emotions of the moment) and tend not to stoop down to just name calling rants. I disagree with you fundamentally on how you judge him. 
I think you are completely wrong about his ability. As you probably feel the same about mine and others view.

I'm glad he is our QB and he personally gives me feeling of a modern day McNair and I love that. I'm excited to see him play.

35 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Well. I hope you try being fair with your evaluations. Not that either one of our opinions matter in the grand scheme of things. I just think it's going to be a hard couple years for you following this team if that is your view. 

I do appreciate your posts about it the most because you at least try to point to examples and talk with a sense of balance (when not wrapped up in the emotions of the moment) and tend not to stoop down to just name calling rants. I disagree with you fundamentally on how you judge him. 
I think you are completely wrong about his ability. As you probably feel the same about mine and others view.

I'm glad he is our QB and he personally gives me feeling of a modern day McNair and I love that. I'm excited to see him play.

I like the guy too I'm not here just to insult him. I just feel that he hasn't developed in the way that I had hoped he would. I blamed Mularkey for the same flaws he has now.

11 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I love the guy too. Just want a QB who can win a game when everything isn't going right around him.

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

Not even trying to rip on him for yesterday. Just saying I don't think you can win consistent games riding his arm. Regardless of who his WRs are.

It is, but I said I love the guy, but would love someone who could do that,  and got comments about him leading the team to victory because he's capable of leading a game winning drive.. which is different entirely.

All I'm saying is that at some point I'd love for my favorite team not to rely on the defense playing lights out and the other team letting us run all over them in order for us to win.

I'd love to see a passing attack that's even top 15 in the league, but we're lucky not to be last. 

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

So what is it that you really want? Those goal posts just seem to be constantly moving. 

You don't like him... Fine... But stop saying all you want is this or that... When you know nothing is going to change your mind. 

You want a qb that can win a game when things aren't going well... I listed games to rebut that. 

You say he can't anticipate or throw into right windows, lead a receiver... KT his and posts various videos... And in your opinion those examples are the only time he's done it this year. 

No matter what you're not going to be satisfied. So be it. Not everyone has to be a fan. But he is our qb. There a chance he gets us to 10 wins and back to back playoffs... In spite of losing his 2 top receiving options from the past 2 years... In spite of our big fa rb not doing much... In spite of our big bruising back not doing anything until week 14... In spite of our all pro rt playing like an overmatched backup... In spite of our interior oline struggling most of the year... In spite of our oc learning on the job and putting him in 2nd and 3rd and long situations far too often (more so in the first half of the season)... And yes, in spite the nerve damage that clearly affected him for half a season... 

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Hey guys the biggest Mariota homer is putting up a few plays on Twitter to try and showcase he’s a good QB again...

Lets see the other plays where he holds onto the ball for too long and takes a sack. There’s plenty of them out there.

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

okay, he can’t with any consistency.

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

KT backed up his argument with video evidence. Did anyone have a counter argument with the same? 

Pft posted a piece on Rodgers... Thought it was pretty interesting. The whole piece is here https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/aaron-rodgers-avoids-interceptions-but-he-leads-the-nfl-in-bad-plays/

But the pieces I found interesting were mainly... (the rest is all quotes from the article) :

He’s scattering the ball around the field in ways he hasn’t before, and the result is that Rodgers has thrown more incompletions than any other quarterback in the NFL.

Rodgers also avoids interceptions by taking sacks too often. In fact, if we add up every quarterback’s interceptions, incompletions, sacks and fumbles and compile them all into one stat we’ll call “bad plays,” Rodgers is actually the worst in the NFL.

Here are the quarterbacks ranked by the most bad plays in the 2018 season:
255 Aaron Rodgers
230 Case Keenum
223 Eli Manning
221 Jared Goff

As Paul Noonan wrote at SB Nation’s Packers site, there is such a thing as being too careful with the ball, and that’s what Rodgers has looked like this season: He so badly wants to avoid throwing interceptions that he’ll either take a sack or throw the ball away rather than try to hit his receiver in a tight window. And hitting his receivers in a tight window is one of the things a great quarterback needs to do.

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

KT backed up his argument with video evidence. Did anyone have a counter argument with the same? 

his argument was something that nobody even claimed in the first place. i don't think there's a single person here who would tell you that mariota is absolutely incapable of doing all the things necessary to be a successful QB. the fact the he is unable to do so consistently is borne out by his numbers, and frankly pretty obvious when you watch him play.

Yeah, I don't post much and honestly don't watch as much as I used to, but Mariota is about as mediocre as it gets, and it's not hard to see. He's likely about to get a deal that he's not worth, and unless the Titans can pretty much swindle his people into a cleverly structured back loaded deal, they're about to be financially restrained by an average QB like the Bengals and Ravens have done to themselves with Dalton and Flacco, but it is what it is. :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Yeah, I don't post much and honestly don't watch as much as I used to, but Mariota is about as mediocre as it gets, and it's not hard to see. He's likely about to get a deal that he's not worth, and unless the Titans can pretty much swindle his people into a cleverly structured back loaded deal, they're about to be financially restrained by an average QB like the Bengals and Ravens have done to themselves with Dalton and Flacco, but it is what it is. :ph34r:

Yeah I’ve been as big a Mariota defender as any, but if the season ended today and my feet were held to the fire I wouldn’t lock myself in to a long term deal with him. I really don’t believe he’s as bad as his stats have shown over the last 2 years because his sophomore year proves otherwise, but if that’s his ceiling....oof.

Luckily we have his 5th year option we can pick up as our final data point. I think everything can come together with Delanie back, upgraded weapons, Henry hopefully turning the corner, and continuity on the coaching staff.

I may have asked this before

If you were the cowboys, do you invest in Dak? Because Dak and Mariota both do about the same amount of good/bad for their team. I think Mariota is better with a higher ceiling, however.

if you'd invest in Dak if you were the cowboys, you'd invest in Mariota if you're us.

12 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

If you were the cowboys, do you invest in Dak? Because Dak and Mariota both do about the same amount of good/bad for their team. I think Mariota is better with a higher ceiling, however.

if you'd invest in Dak if you were the cowboys, you'd invest in Mariota if you're us.

I think Marcus has had to overcome a lot more than Dak has so far through their career. Broken leg, coaching carousel, system carousel, Jeckle and Hyde rushing attack, a top receiving threat quitting mid season...that’s a lot of controversy to overcome and still be considered equal to someone that’s had rock hard stability to lean on. I’d invest in Marcus before Dak.

Mariota is about a 15ish QB in the league right now...  average, mediocre... sure.

But I don't think he's finished developing, I don't think he's finished growing as a player/passer.

He's about to have a coordinator for the 2nd year for only the 2nd time in his career.  The other was Robiskie.  If you look at all the top QB's, find me one that's had the same lack of consistency. 

Even with us not needing Mariota to do much these past two games (thank you D and King Henry), its obvious how much better Mariota has been since the break.  Not sure if it's him getting more comfortable in the offense, him getting past that nerve injury... or a combination of both. 

With another offseason under LaFleur, and addition of weapons (return of Delanie and bringing in a reliable #2)... it's hard not see how next year is setting up as a coming out party.  I know that was supposed to be this year... but we may have had unrealistic expectations as a fan base (Orlovsky warned us about that), which combined with losing his top 2 targets for the previous 2 seasons.. was just too much to overcome.  I've seen enough the second half of this season to honestly believe this... (it wasn't that long ago that I had just about given up hope in him, so this is not blind homerism)

I'd look to see what I could sign him to long term right now.  Might save us a significant chunk of money instead of waiting a year.  And if structured correctly, would give us an easy out after years (essentially this option year and a franchise year).

48 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I asked this before the Cowboys and I wouldn't though. 

I don't want Dak leading my franchise. As a stop-gap, sure. Anything more - no. 

I do think Mariota is a little better than him, but the last time I looked at stats they disagreed with that. Hard to say without context for the stats.

4 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I asked this before the Cowboys and I wouldn't though. 

I don't want Dak leading my franchise. As a stop-gap, sure. Anything more - no. 

I do think Mariota is a little better than him, but the last time I looked at stats they disagreed with that. Hard to say without context for the stats.

so you cut Dak/Mariota.

what's your next step?

Archived