A 10 Year Retrospective

Thaiphoon

So since we've been seeing poor attendance all year and @Woz reminded me awhile back that I did this prediction. I was able to go back through the old version of the site to find the one where I was predicting poor attendance and possible blackouts (had the NFL kept the blackout rules in place we would've been blacked out by now). 

Sure enough, I found it.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=194395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some key quotes from me (this was in 2008 right after Gibbs 2.0 resigned).

Ok as the founding member of the Redskins Curmudgeon Society (applications are welcome, but there is a pledge period you need to go through), I have been thinking about the direction of this franchise as of late and yesterday some coworkers and I were talking about the way it seems like things were reverting back to Pre-Gibbs madness. I made a statement that if Danny keeps it up, at some point in my life, the Redskins will be having a hard time filling the stadium.

When we start having problems selling out the stadium due to another 10 or so years of this nonsense, economics will be something to worry about. Not to mention most of the "value" was predicated on the fact that the team actually owns the stadium and Danny charges buttload for food/drinks/parking/etc... Danny took out a nice loan to take care of buying the team (and the stadium) but that loan needs servicing. And when Danny has squeezed as much out of the fans as he can, at some point the economics of the situation will implode. Just give it another 10 years or so of the kind of antics we've seen pre-Gibbs 2.0 and in the weeks following Gibbs 2.0's departure. Redskins fans are loyal. And many will root for the team (as I always do). Some may just wish to forego shelling out the money to line Danny's pockets when he produces one mediocrity after another (as I'm starting to feel)

I've also seen the Redskins game go from THE "hot ticket" in town to the "oh - I've got to check to see if I'm free" type of ticket in the past 10 years. One of the benefits/curses of living through the Glory years in the 80's is watching how much the "value" (I'm not talking in dollars and cents) of the game day ticket has diminished. This makes me sad. So, call me crazy if you want. I'm not afraid to take the slings and arrows for pointing out something that is on my mind (even if it turns out to be just an irrational fear). Just remember that if, in 10-20 years' time, we're needing to watch the Redskins games on DirecTV NFL Sunday ticket because we can't watch it on FOX, you can give me my proper due.

What jumps out at me are some of our perspectives from 10 years ago (*) and how some of those perspectives might've changed.

But also how I (and Czabe) was pretty much on the dot in terms of the 10 year mark.

And also, I miss having SuperSkinFan (RIP) around (and midniterc - who doesn't post here anymore).

Also, the big hedge award goes to:

@Woz and @e16bball with the hedges so large the HOA is telling them to cut them back a bit.

(*) I cleared it with the other mod to avoid accusations of thread necromancy. Just thought that its a milestone of 10 years and it would be cool to look back on it like a time capsule.

To be fair my hedge was:

That said, Thaiphoon, it's one thing to analyze weaknesses. It's another to project them into the future. Let's see what happens with the coaching search and this offseason. I'm not saying it will be perfect, or even good ... I'm just saying, let's table this until late April/early May so we can see what has transpired between now and then.

That post was dated six days before Jim Zorn was hired.

giphy.gif

Also, this lead in from you, @Thaiphoon

I also admitted that for the first time, I am seriously considering not renewing my season tickets when they come to renewal. 

:D:D:D

For the record, yes, the thread can take a long time to load.

Hehe, yeah. My family persuaded me not to end my season tickets. Instead, I get them to buy the tix from me or I give them away. The max # of games I go each year now is 2 (most of the time I either don't go or I go to the Cowgirls game if the schedule is not inconvenient). And even then I tailgate in the parking lot before the game so I don't spend much $ if at all in the stadium (usually my guests buy my drink(s) inside). 

I've had that same discussion on other forums throughout the years.  This was about the time period that everyone pretty much said would be a turning point for the franchise, and so far it's been a downturn.  As I've said on here before about my tickets, if I didn't think the stadium would move into DC or VA, I would have given them up already.  That being said, I'm going to get as many in as I possibly can.  

It's such a shame that a franchise that has had such storied players and coaches throughout the years has gone so far downhill.  Meanwhile, the teams all in close proximity to us have had won the Super Bowl, and are consistent winners who have not had the front office turmoil and coach turnover that we've had.  The Steelers, Ravens and Eagles are all model organizations since Snyder took over, and we're a laughingstock.  

As a representative for all of us that have been on the season ticket waiting list for 5+ years I hope you don't renew your season tickets. Honestly look at the waiting list, its gigantic, FedEx will always be full. If you wanna give up on the Skins go ahead, some of us are gonna be fans no matter what...

Was my account hijacked ten years ago? Brutal...

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

As a representative for all of us that have been on the season ticket waiting list for 5+ years I hope you don't renew your season tickets. Honestly look at the waiting list, its gigantic, FedEx will always be full. If you wanna give up on the Skins go ahead, some of us are gonna be fans no matter what...

Turns out both sides were right.  The Redskins were selling to Ticketmaster vendors at an 80% price point to keep the sell out going.  So they would keep you on a wait list for 2-3 years to keep the illusion of a wait list, then give you the chance to buy 400 level tickets, then after another 1-2 years, would allow you to transfer down into the lower bowl.  It was quite an elaborate scheme.  

3 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Hehe, I didn't want to call you out but when I saw your comment I was like O.o

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Turns out both sides were right.  The Redskins were selling to Ticketmaster vendors at an 80% price point to keep the sell out going.  So they would keep you on a wait list for 2-3 years to keep the illusion of a wait list, then give you the chance to buy 400 level tickets, then after another 1-2 years, would allow you to transfer down into the lower bowl.  It was quite an elaborate scheme.  

Funnily enough, almost exactly 5 years after this in 2013 they tried to sell me tickets, but I didn't like the seats, paying for the pre-season games (the idea that it's $80 per ticket but that's based off 10 games is ludicrous), and the price of parking. One of the best choices I ever made.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I was all in. Loved the trade and thought he was going to be amazing. I bombed that one pretty hard. 

I was too so your not by yourself. I don't care what anyone says, I believe coaching and not taking him out with us up 14-0 made a hell of a difference in how things turned out. 

Archived