Preseason Week 3 GDT: Bears (1-1) at Titans (1-1)

Titans fan 617

Going back through looking at Mariota's passes, I only saw 2, maybe a 3rd(the endzone pass which Charles Davis in the booth said he thought was a throwaway..looks like one, but kinda iffy) pass where he was actually off target. The other "misses" seem like clear throwaways.

Mularkey seemed pretty pissed in the post game interview about Adoree fielding that punt inside the 5 yard line. Yes it was a mistake, but Mularkey sounded close to giving the punt return job to someone else. Personally I think Adoree is a good enough returner that you put up with an occasional mistake like that every once in a while because sometimes he will take those mistakes to the house. He's that good. 

It was all self inflicted things. Things that aren't consistently an issue. Like Marcus off. We've seem him more often than a little bit be pinpoint accurate. 

Don't forget he really didn't do much in ota's. Training camp shaking off the rust.

Preseason isnt an indicator of a season. Otherwise we would have been to the Superbowl a couple times after looking so great in preseason's past. 

Adore needs to do what many of us said when he was drafted and that is work on his fundamentals. Even the completions on him, he was in position for most part. He has the ability now he needs to hone his craft. A misstep here or there is the difference between completion and a breakup. And with his ability he could make some Ints. 

He trying to hard with the return. Should get that worked out. 

I'd like to see protection cleaned up.  Timing just seems off there. 

But once we got that running game going late it opened up things. Despite people still wanting to see Marcus in a spread, he still needs to master somethings before being a Uber God on the field. ?

Not panicking yet because it is preseason but having two performances of looking completely flat and lost is ridiculous regardless of preseason or not. The OL has been the biggest disappointment so far. They're getting hardly any push in the run game and the pass-blocking isnt where it should be. Getting Demarco back for pass-pro will help there dramatically but the run offense has been very below average to blah. The run D today sucked back. Everything on defense sucked today actually. Dodd looked like a nobody again and I seen him a few times look like he even gave up on pass-rushes. Hopefully Wallace gets healthy so we can get rid of him. I worry about the offense mainly because that was supposed to be the strength of this team. Mariota and the receivers look like they're on different pages at times and there are two very important receivers who have missed valuable time. I feel like the offense will be really flat early on in the season like it was last year. Toughest part of the season is the first 6 weeks. Can't afford to have slow starts and bury ourselves in a huge hole early on in the season.

39 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Mularkey seemed pretty pissed in the post game interview about Adoree fielding that punt inside the 5 yard line. Yes it was a mistake, but Mularkey sounded close to giving the punt return job to someone else. Personally I think Adoree is a good enough returner that you put up with an occasional mistake like that every once in a while because sometimes he will take those mistakes to the house. He's that good. 

Adoree has been doing stupid **** all preseason at PR. He's not going to be our punt returner if he continues. The guy apparently has no idea what a fair catch is.

People make fun of what Mariani did last year or the thought of Weems being the returner this year, but one thing you can be promised from Weems and Mariani are they aren't going to hurt the team. One nice return from Adoree does not balance out even in the slightest the numerous stupid decisions he's made(and that one nice return was probably caused by Ryan's block in the back keeping one of the defenders from getting hands on Adoree). This isn't college football where he's going to make a guy barreling down on him miss 9 times out of 10. In the NFL it's the opposite, that player is gonna make the tackle 9 times out of 10.

Adoree is single-handedly guaranteeing Weems a roster spot it feels like.

Well that was interesting the biggest thing I took from that game was that or vaulted OL looked over matched against Chicago and Marcus was really not comfortable with the routes being run by his WR's.

Yes the D gave up some plays but I heard Chicago game planed for us which is almost unheard of in the preseason so I don't take too much from that .

9 minutes ago, quiller said:

Well that was interesting the biggest thing I took from that game was that or vaulted OL looked over matched against Chicago and Marcus was really not comfortable with the routes being run by his WR's.

Yes the D gave up some plays but I heard Chicago game planed for us which is almost unheard of in the preseason so I don't take too much from that .

Game planning for the third game is pretty common. I think every team does. 

2 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Game planning for the third game is pretty common. I think every team does. 

But the amount of game planning varies from team to team.  Most times it's pretty light.

Murlakey said they didn't even gameplan the run game (whatever that means). 

Some teams do more....to give a team more confidence against a team that probably isn't. At least that is what I think.  For a team not projected to be as good, what better confidence than to beat a team pretty good.

Also keep in mind the Bears have some decent strengths.  Their D-line isn't a push over, and they have a legit running game.  I can see them winning bout 6-7 games. Pushing 8 depending on luck of the bounce. 

4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Adoree has been doing stupid **** all preseason at PR. He's not going to be our punt returner if he continues. The guy apparently has no idea what a fair catch is.

People make fun of what Mariani did last year or the thought of Weems being the returner this year, but one thing you can be promised from Weems and Mariani are they aren't going to hurt the team. One nice return from Adoree does not balance out even in the slightest the numerous stupid decisions he's made(and that one nice return was probably caused by Ryan's block in the back keeping one of the defenders from getting hands on Adoree). This isn't college football where he's going to make a guy barreling down on him miss 9 times out of 10. In the NFL it's the opposite, that player is gonna make the tackle 9 times out of 10.

Adoree is single-handedly guaranteeing Weems a roster spot it feels like.

It will be pretty underwhelming if anyone other than Adoree is the PR. I feel that we would be wasting huge talent. I do agree he needs to fair catch more and be smarter with that, but all the best returners take chances. As long as he's not dropping the ball and causing turnovers I'm okay with it. I don't see him getting tackled 9 out of 10 times. 

Weems I feel was always the planned KR and on kick coverage. I will be disappointed when Weems and Douglas both make the team over some of the younger options, but oh well. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

But the amount of game planning varies from team to team.  Most times it's pretty light.

Murlakey said they didn't even gameplan the run game (whatever that means). 

Some teams do more....to give a team more confidence against a team that probably isn't. At least that is what I think.  For a team not projected to be as good, what better confidence than to beat a team pretty good.

Also keep in mind the Bears have some decent strengths.  Their D-line isn't a push over, and they have a legit running game.  I can see them winning bout 6-7 games. Pushing 8 depending on luck of the bounce. 

Yes, that's a good point. I think coaches of bad teams likely game plan a bit more to try and establish a winning culture. Probably why we always killed it in the preseason with our recent trashy teams. Lol

Just now, TwoToneBlue said:

Yes, that's a good point. I think coaches of bad teams likely game plan a bit more to try and establish a winning culture. Probably why we always killed it in the preseason with our recent trashy teams. Lol

Boom!

Lol 

I mean thinking back tot he Munchak years. Think how hype some of us were, when we didn't have penalties and Jamie Harper was out there running the ball looking like Jerome Bettis.
And
Warmack was pulling  and pancaked that guy.... 

It looked like we were about to rush for 4,000 yards that season. 
Even last year, during preseason, nobody predicted our O-line would look like that. 
Regular Season vs. Preseason---Big difference. (At least that is what I'm going to tell myself. lol )

Archived