2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

1 hour ago, Jags said:

Allen has the huge arm like Flacco, and good size, but his athleticism should not even be mentioned in the same breath. Jackson's ceiling is higher, but so is his bust potential. 

Athleticism is one of the most overrated traits in a good QB though.  It's a nice plus, another good tool.  But fundamentally, i don't think the ability to run around and be "athletic" means near as much as the ability to dissect a defense and put the ball consistently on the money when it comes to a QB and their primary function in the NFL.  Way more important to "upside" than raw athletic ability to run around and stuff.

Honestly, probably the best yardage accruing scrambler QB in the NFL today (Wilson) isn't even an overly "amazing" athlete.

17 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Explain

I'm gonna assume it's in large part, because we've been down this whole road with the "big athletic QB who just needs to learn to be more careful and accurate with the football".

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Lets wait for combine to compare athleticism. But allen is probably 20 pounds heavier.

Quote this now and hang it underneath your name until February/ NFL Draft Combine comes around: 

Lamar Jackson's combine numbers (just about every single one) will blow Josh Allen's, Josh Rosen's, anyone for the next 5 years, combine numbers out of the water at the QB position. I'm that confident. 

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Athleticism is one of the most overrated traits in a good QB though.  It's a nice plus, another good tool.  But fundamentally, i don't think the ability to run around and be "athletic" means near as much as the ability to dissect a defense and put the ball consistently on the money when it comes to a QB and their primary function in the NFL.  Way more important to "upside" than raw athletic ability to run around and stuff.

Honestly, probably the best yardage accruing scrambler QB in the NFL today (Wilson) isn't even an overly "amazing" athlete.

That's true. The position is more mental and mechanical than it is physical. It's just when you bring in someone with the strong arm to make all the throws, and then combine them with the touch, mental and mechanical aspect, then you have an elite QB. Now you take that elite QB and he is one of the 5 most athletic players on the field at all times and he's touching the ball on every single play, you never know what amazing things he's going to do (2010 Mike Vick - Had he played 16 games he would've had about 40 total touchdowns, 4K passing yards, 900 rushing yards and 12 total turnovers).  

36 minutes ago, Jags said:

Quote this now and hang it underneath your name until February/ NFL Draft Combine comes around: 

Lamar Jackson's combine numbers (just about every single one) will blow Josh Allen's, Josh Rosen's, anyone for the next 5 years, combine numbers out of the water at the QB position. I'm that confident. 

Jackson's frame and weight numbers at the combine are going to be underwhelming.  Those things, along with the interviews and mechanics if he opts to throw are the more important things i think.  I really couldn't care less if my QB can jump out of the gym and runs a blazing 3 cone or 40-time tbh.

17 minutes ago, Jags said:

That's true. The position is more mental and mechanical than it is physical. It's just when you bring in someone with the strong arm to make all the throws, and then combine them with the touch, mental and mechanical aspect, then you have an elite QB. Now you take that elite QB and he is one of the 5 most athletic players on the field at all times and he's touching the ball on every single play, you never know what amazing things he's going to do (2010 Mike Vick - Had he played 16 games he would've had about 40 total touchdowns, 4K passing yards, 900 rushing yards and 12 total turnovers).  

I just don't know that i'd want to hinge my franchise on the sort of "awesome things" that tend to put the guy in harms way (even more so than less athletic pure pocket passer types).  Like Vick...there's both an expiration date on those traits, and added risk that comes with actually using them in the meantime.

It's largely just a philosophical thing i guess.  If Jackson can be the best pocket passer in this class, i'm all for it.  I just don't know that i've seen that, and i don't value his phenomenal running ability that highly as an NFL prospect, because i honestly wouldn't want to see them using it heavily.

I mean, the divide for me...is when proponents of Jackson point to what RGIII or Vick could have been.  To me, they became what they did in large part, because of the type of QB they are.  That's where the athletic talents are a bit of a double-edged sword.  Especially if they don't come with a big rugged frame.  Great to have, but eh...risky/scary to actually use consistently in the NFL.

This is a mock i made from fanspeak

17: R1P17

G QUENTON NELSON
NOTRE DAME starting g
49: R2P17

C MASON COLE
MICHIGAN possible starting g or t
81: R3P17

QB JOSH ALLEN
WYOMING qb of future
119: R4P17

TE DALLAS GOEDERT
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE pass catching te
155: R5P17

WR AUDEN TATE
FLORIDA STATE big bodied wr we could use
196: R6P17

CB DARIUS PHILLIPS
WESTERN MICHIGAN nickle\dime cb and possible pr
231: R7P9

DL FOLORUNSO FATUKASI
CONNECTICUT dl depth/competition
239: R7P17

S JAMAR SUMMERS
CONNECTICUT db competition

On 10/8/2017 at 6:44 PM, Tugboat said:

I just don't know that i'd want to hinge my franchise on the sort of "awesome things" that tend to put the guy in harms way (even more so than less athletic pure pocket passer types).  Like Vick...there's both an expiration date on those traits, and added risk that comes with actually using them in the meantime.

It's largely just a philosophical thing i guess.  If Jackson can be the best pocket passer in this class, i'm all for it.  I just don't know that i've seen that, and i don't value his phenomenal running ability that highly as an NFL prospect, because i honestly wouldn't want to see them using it heavily.

I mean, the divide for me...is when proponents of Jackson point to what RGIII or Vick could have been.  To me, they became what they did in large part, because of the type of QB they are.  That's where the athletic talents are a bit of a double-edged sword.  Especially if they don't come with a big rugged frame.  Great to have, but eh...risky/scary to actually use consistently in the NFL.

Kinda why if im picking a physical skill set im looking at josh allen. Hes built fairly sturdy at 6 foot 5 230ish. 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 22 (DET): Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming (A+) qb of future
Round 2 Pick 19: James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State (A+) possibke starting wr(depending on the wr situation)
Round 2 Pick 22 (DET): Mason Cole, C/OT, Michigan (A)starting oline
Round 3 Pick 19: Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (A) possibme starting te
Round 4 Pick 19: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (B+) possible starting g
Round 5 Pick 19: Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon (A-)possible starting ot 
Round 6 Pick 19: Dee Delaney, CB, Miami (FL) (A-) cb depth
Round 7 Pick 19: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota State (A+)wr depth

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21 (BUF): Courtland Sutton, WR, Southern Methodist (A-) starting wr. Arob-sutton-dede is good. 
Round 1 Pick 32 (BUF): Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming (A+) not saying hes not flawed but he has the best physicsl tools to be an elite qb. 
Round 2 Pick 12: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A) starting te
Round 3 Pick 12: Martez Ivey, OT/OG, Florida (A+) plug at guard or rt
Round 3 Pick 31 (BUF): Duke Dawson, CB, Florida (A+) bpa/nickle if colvin is let go
Round 4 Pick 12: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A+) bpa. 2 good pass catching tes is good.
Round 5 Pick 12: Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (A) possible starting g
Round 6 Pick 12: Jaylen Samuels, FB, North Carolina State (A+) i think hes pretty good and hes more like an hback. Could even play some rb. 
Round 7 Pick 12: Damien Harris, RB, Alabama (A+)rb depth

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 12: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA (A+) why shouldnt we pick him?
Round 2 Pick 12: Billy Price, C/OG, Ohio State (A+) starting g
Round 3 Pick 12: Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan (A+)starting rt
Round 4 Pick 12: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State (A+)starting te
Round 5 Pick 12: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)a proven kicker who makes 82% of his kicks and gets touchbacks
Round 6 Pick 12: Jaylen Samuels, FB, North Carolina State (A+) more of an h-back. Could use him at rb
Round 7 Pick 12: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota State (A+)wr competition/depth

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Who is everyone’s current favorite prospect for us? @.Buzz @Adrenaline_Flux @Jags @JaguarCrazy2832 @Jaguarfan @Its A Sabotage @KhanYouDigIt @LinderFournette @Tugboat

To me it depends on where we picking and whos been picked. It also depends on who we keep(telvin,arob,colvin)and who we sign. 

Right now my p1 for us would be rosen so we have a good qb.

My favorite wr is sutton from smu and reminds me of a mike evans. 

If we are picking around 15-20 and we signed a good qb and resigned those 3 im picking Nelson G Notre Dame 

Archived