Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Week 16 GDT: Chicago Bears at San Francisco 49ers

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I liked Garnett coming out of college.  Not that high, but I liked him. Why has he been such a bust?  Just injuries or is he not good?

 

Injuries haven't helped, but largely, yeah, he's just not all that good. He looked better in the preseason, particularly in the run game, but still lost the job to Mike Person. The main point of contention on Garnett, and the thing that people have largely hated about the pick wasn't really the player, but the move up to acquire him. Given that all of the comparable guards were still on the board at the time, nobody saw the merit in trading up to get him. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I thought Solomon Thomas would be stud in NFL too.  Shows what I know.  I also thought Thomas would be a penetrating 3 tech not a DE.  

 

We are finally starting to play him as a 3 tech. That's what he should have been from the start, and it was very clear, even in his rookie season that's what he was - not a pass rushing edge. If the staff continues to utilize him in the manner he's best suited for, then he's got a shot to become something. He was never going to make it work on the end. Since we have started giving him chunks of his snaps on the interior, he has played very, very well. He drew several holding penalties last week, and the week before had several pressures. Still needs to become a finisher, but if we keep playing him as a 3-tech, he has hope. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I liked Garnett coming out of college.  Not that high, but I liked him. Why has he been such a bust?  Just injuries or is he not good?

I thought Solomon Thomas would be stud in NFL too.  Shows what I know.  I also thought Thomas would be a penetrating 3 tech not a DE.  

Hicks doesn't rush over C.  Seen two people worried about that.  He'll be on guards or tackles.

C has Goldman and he sucks.  Just kidding he's really good and having his best season.  Floyd is finally playing good too.  Were it not for Packers being allowed to hold every play he may have had 4-5 sacks and a safety.

Good luck.  Though this is a classic let down game and secondary is down 2 starters now.   We'll see what happens.  

Funny, Pace got roasted nationally and on local radio for that trade and that 2017 draft.  Turns out it was a pretty good draft.  

 

 

 

 

Oh, make no mistake, Pace still deserves to be roasted for the trade he made. Props on getting guys like Jackson, but there was no reason for him to make the trade he made with us. Lynch all but admitted the Bears were negotiating against themselves there. 

But I'm happy you guys are doing well. I predicted late last season that the Bears were going to be the sleeper team of 2018 and it was far from a lock that the Vikings or Packers would win the NFC North. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, make no mistake, Pace still deserves to be roasted for the trade he made. Props on getting guys like Jackson, but there was no reason for him to make the trade he made with us. Lynch all but admitted the Bears were negotiating against themselves there. 

But I'm happy you guys are doing well. I predicted late last season that the Bears were going to be the sleeper team of 2018 and it was far from a lock that the Vikings or Packers would win the NFC North. 

Why though?  Whether he was negotiating against himself or not, he couldn't have been 100% sure another team wasn't trying to to trade up to select his guy at #2 so he made the move to ensure he got him, without mortgaging anything significant.

Clearly Pace trusts in his and his scouting staff's ability when it comes to the draft, and so far their track record of drafting in the mid to late rounds is pretty damn good.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Why though?  Whether he was negotiating against himself or not, he couldn't have been 100% sure another team wasn't trying to to trade up to select his guy at #2 so he made the move to ensure he got him, without mortgaging anything significant.

Clearly Pace trusts in his and his scouting staff's ability when it comes to the draft, and so far their track record of drafting in the mid to late rounds is pretty damn good.

 

 

Because he was negotiating against himself. That is exactly why he deserves to get killed for that trade. 

And his track record of drafting in the mid to late rounds being good is another reason why the trade was so bad. Gave up a 3rd rounder for no reason. That 3rd rounder could have been a Pro Bowler or a contributing starter with the way he has been drafting lately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because he was negotiating against himself. That is exactly why he deserves to get killed for that trade. 

And his track record of drafting in the mid to late rounds being good is another reason why the trade was so bad. Gave up a 3rd rounder for no reason. That 3rd rounder could have been a Pro Bowler or a contributing starter with the way he has been drafting lately. 

Adam Hoge, who is our best beat guy

As it turned out, the Chiefs were willing to part with a 2018 first round pick to move up to No. 10 and draft Patrick Mahomes. And what was confirmed to me that weekend by multiple sources was that the Browns also coveted Trubisky and were talking to the 49ers about the No. 2 pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a related conversation, I have wondered how 49ers fans feel about Lynch?

The first draft was bad, but where do people stand on him right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Because he was negotiating against himself. That is exactly why he deserves to get killed for that trade. 

And his track record of drafting in the mid to late rounds being good is another reason why the trade was so bad. Gave up a 3rd rounder for no reason. That 3rd rounder could have been a Pro Bowler or a contributing starter with the way he has been drafting lately. 

But he doesn't know he is negotiating against himself. Things like that afterwards offcourse look bad but when you are 100% set on Trubisky being a franchise QB you don't take the risk to lose him if you have indication other teams feel that same way and are in need. In he end that wasn't the case but in the moment you have to go with what you hear and feel will happen and sometimes that means you are basically negotiating against yourself altough i believe it had more to do with us not wanting to trade down further than that one spot instead of it really being only the Bears being interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WindyCity said:

In a related conversation, I have wondered how 49ers fans feel about Lynch?

The first draft was bad, but where do people stand on him right now?

Don't think the first draft is bad. Thomas was a bit of a project on the edge that didn't turn out the way we hoped and now he is playing more on the inside he is growing per week.

Foster we took a gamble on which didn't turn out but it was worth the shot and he showed real talent.

Witherspoon looked good last year. Started the year of pretty bad but has turned it around the last weeks where he was our best corner on the field.

Beathard was pretty much a Shanahan pick and hasn't looked good so far. Game just goes too fast for him and we need to hope for him it slows down the coming offseason or else he is probably gone next year. 

Williams was 100% a Shanahan pick because he wasn't even on the board at first. Just didn't have the drive to succeed and just not good enough.

Kittle is just an absolute stud.

Trent Taylor was a big part of our team last year when Jimmy came in and is a nice slot receiver. Had back surgery in the offseason and it took some time for him to get his explosiveness back.

DJ Jones has replaced Earl Mitchell the last two weeks and really did a great job. Will be the starting NT next year.

Pita was a bit of a developmental pick but hasn't really shown any improvement and will probably be gone next year.

Colbert flashed last year when he came in but looked terrible to start the season. Has the physical tools just a question if he will grow on the mental side.

 

So don't think you can call that bad since you simply can't hit on every pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, dll2000 said:

I liked Garnett coming out of college.  Not that high, but I liked him. Why has he been such a bust?  Just injuries or is he not good?

I thought Solomon Thomas would be stud in NFL too.  Shows what I know.  I also thought Thomas would be a penetrating 3 tech not a DE.  

Hicks doesn't rush over C.  Seen two people worried about that.  He'll be on guards or tackles.

C has Goldman and he sucks.  Just kidding he's really good and having his best season.  Floyd is finally playing good too.  Were it not for Packers being allowed to hold every play he may have had 4-5 sacks and a safety.

Good luck.  Though this is a classic let down game and secondary is down 2 starters now.   We'll see what happens.  

Funny, Pace got roasted nationally and on local radio for that trade and that 2017 draft.  Turns out it was a pretty good draft.  

 

 

 

 

The thing with Garnett is he's not a good player in this scheme, but might be better/even really good on another team. I think he would have been traded a long time ago if he wasn't always dealing with an injury. Once we extended Laken Tomlinson it was clear Josh Garnett was on his way out. He's had his weight scrutinized, toughness scrutinized by the head coach. 

Be patient with Solomon Thomas, he's going to be legit but it takes some time especially after the tragic offseason he had. it's weird with him too, it looks like he's forced in playing on the edge when its clear he's better interior. Either way he's still has productive games and shows flashes of a top 10 pick.

You guys absolutely are crushing us with how that 2017 draft looks, really envious of how the Bears as a franchise turned things around. I really wanted kyle fuller, and obviously Mack. This last draft I was pretty aggravated we took Dante Pettis w/ Anthony Miller on the board. Pettis turned out to be way better than I expected so what do I know. 

The real question on all our minds is...How in the world did da bears make Aaron Lynch such a productive player? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not generally worry about mid round picks being used to move around. Often, they are easy to get back, and you are often rewarded for being aggressive with them.

Do I think Pace could have gotten Trubisky at 3? More than likely, but the cost was not prohibitive to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Don't think the first draft is bad. Thomas was a bit of a project on the edge that didn't turn out the way we hoped and now he is playing more on the inside he is growing per week.

Foster we took a gamble on which didn't turn out but it was worth the shot and he showed real talent.

Witherspoon looked good last year. Started the year of pretty bad but has turned it around the last weeks where he was our best corner on the field.

Beathard was pretty much a Shanahan pick and hasn't looked good so far. Game just goes too fast for him and we need to hope for him it slows down the coming offseason or else he is probably gone next year. 

Williams was 100% a Shanahan pick because he wasn't even on the board at first. Just didn't have the drive to succeed and just not good enough.

Kittle is just an absolute stud.

Trent Taylor was a big part of our team last year when Jimmy came in and is a nice slot receiver. Had back surgery in the offseason and it took some time for him to get his explosiveness back.

DJ Jones has replaced Earl Mitchell the last two weeks and really did a great job. Will be the starting NT next year.

Pita was a bit of a developmental pick but hasn't really shown any improvement and will probably be gone next year.

Colbert flashed last year when he came in but looked terrible to start the season. Has the physical tools just a question if he will grow on the mental side.

 

So don't think you can call that bad since you simply can't hit on every pick.

 

Thomas would need to be a stud interior player for that pick to provide value. But, maybe he does become an dominant interior player. To me you need to be Buckner or Donald to be an interior player picked that high.

Edited by WindyCity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The thing with Garnett is he's not a good player in this scheme, but might be better/even really good on another team. I think he would have been traded a long time ago if he wasn't always dealing with an injury. Once we extended Laken Tomlinson it was clear Josh Garnett was on his way out. He's had his weight scrutinized, toughness scrutinized by the head coach. 

Be patient with Solomon Thomas, he's going to be legit but it takes some time especially after the tragic offseason he had. it's weird with him too, it looks like he's forced in playing on the edge when its clear he's better interior. Either way he's still has productive games and shows flashes of a top 10 pick.

You guys absolutely are crushing us with how that 2017 draft looks, really envious of how the Bears as a franchise turned things around. I really wanted kyle fuller, and obviously Mack. This last draft I was pretty aggravated we took Dante Pettis w/ Anthony Miller on the board. Pettis turned out to be way better than I expected so what do I know. 

The real question on all our minds is...How in the world did da bears make Aaron Lynch such a productive player? 

 

How did we make Lynch productive?

1. Vic Fangio

2. Teams cannot block everyone and he gets a ton of 1 on 1s and against the TE a lot. It is truly amazing watching teams block Mack with 3 dudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But he doesn't know he is negotiating against himself. Things like that afterwards offcourse look bad but when you are 100% set on Trubisky being a franchise QB you don't take the risk to lose him if you have indication other teams feel that same way and are in need. In he end that wasn't the case but in the moment you have to go with what you hear and feel will happen and sometimes that means you are basically negotiating against yourself altough i believe it had more to do with us not wanting to trade down further than that one spot instead of it really being only the Bears being interested.

Thank you for explaining what I was going to say.  I don't understand how more people don't get this.  They just go on with the narrative that Pace got hosed. Lol really I thought people were more rational thinking than that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Adam Hoge, who is our best beat guy

As it turned out, the Chiefs were willing to part with a 2018 first round pick to move up to No. 10 and draft Patrick Mahomes. And what was confirmed to me that weekend by multiple sources was that the Browns also coveted Trubisky and were talking to the 49ers about the No. 2 pick.

No disrespect, but I'll take Lynch's word on this matter over anyone else's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No disrespect, but I'll take Lynch's word on this matter over anyone else's. 

I think Lynch's words on this is why most Chicago fans take a little joy in watching him struggle.

It was odd that he took such a strong victory lap about the trade in the media. Most NFL execs will not disclose much about their conversations and rarely show up another GM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×