Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

No that’s not until the 16th but can’t have Practices until they get to 80 players. 

I posted a link that explained there’s 2 options:

1) cut down to 80

2) stay at 90 and run two groups of 45 for all practices and meetings (anything inside that are “in the building” (can’t move players between groups once their assigned) 

but it does look like we’ll be going with the 80 man option based on the fact we’ve begun cutting players.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Arden Key did an interview with the Athletic and he had a quote in there saying pretty much. The Raiders don't need Clay Matthews or Jadeveon clowney they have all the pass rushers they need already.

Interesting thing to say imo. I often forget about Arden Key and kind of over the potential and the almost sacks. Make it or break it year for him. Have to imagine that he makes it onto the team. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Arden Key did an interview with the Athletic and he had a quote in there saying pretty much. The Raiders don't need Clay Matthews or Jadeveon clowney they have all the pass rushers they need already.

Interesting thing to say imo. I often forget about Arden Key and kind of over the potential and the almost sacks. Make it or break it year for him. Have to imagine that he makes it onto the team. 

I hope he's correct but as of right now we have precisely 1 player that is an actual productive pass rusher in Crosby and he's only in his second year so hardly proven. Nassib has had moderate only production so far and everyone else on the roster is either not yet productive, latent potential or under achievers. 

That's not to say they can't all be productive this season but odds are some will not live up to potential.

I believe Crosby has the game, motor, improved technique and dog to be very productive. Another great year if he stays healthy and 10 to 13 sacks plus more pressures than last year.

Ferrell should be able to add 5 or 6 sacks at least and be an average pass rusher who's a very steady and solid year by year contributor.

Collins looks promising and we're putting most of our eggs in his basket to improve the pass rush and he looks impressive but he's never actually produced to the level we need just yet. He should have every opportunity but he cant turn it around on his own.

Hurst has flashed but again we need a little more than he's shown, I think he can be a rotational pass rushing force and hope he can get to the QB half a dozen times.

Nassib I am optimistic about and think he'll play up to his contract rushing outside and inside similar to how we used Jordan. I expect 6 to 8 sacks from him although I'm probably higher on him than most.

Key I thought would break out last season but is another with potential that we just haven't seen the actual production from. It really is now or never with Key and I think we might replace a lot of his snaps with Nassib so I dont expect a huge production unfortunately.

Everyone else is just a stab in the dark at this point....... 

Edited by Darbsk

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Sorry to hear the bad news......

Im guessing this was the grandmother whose house got raided by ATF?  Maybe his derelict cousin should have cared about his grandmothers health and not used it as a trap house and revolving door for junkies.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, agarcia34 said:

Key really needs to step up this year.... I think he makes the team by default though.... I mean whose going to take his roster spot: Ade Aruna? Lol. He already got caught once and was brought back only cuz Crosby got Covid and we can’t run a Training Camp with only 3 DEs.

This is the stuff that has be complaining to much.  Key clearly needs to have some competition for his job.... yet we carry 8 G’s and only 4 DEs.  

Im really hoping he has a good year for us.... we really need that.... but when i look rationally at the situation it’s more doubtful than positive that he turns into a decent backup.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Key really needs to step up this year.... I think he makes the team by default though.... I mean whose going to take his roster spot: Ade Aruna? Lol. He already got caught once and was brought back only cuz Crosby got Covid and we can’t run a Training Camp with only 3 DEs.

This is the stuff that has be complaining to much.  Key clearly needs to have some competition for his job.... yet we carry 8 G’s and only 4 DEs.  

Im really hoping he has a good year for us.... we really need that.... but when i look rationally at the situation it’s more doubtful than positive that he turns into a decent backup.

Key is safe this year due to competition. lol . Would be nice if he steps up, I don't think he is a lost cause. I think Key can be a better version of Benson Mayowa, he was finally getting sacks then got hurt.

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 8/4/2020 at 11:04 AM, Darbsk said:

I hope he's correct but as of right now we have precisely 1 player that is an actual productive pass rusher in Crosby and he's only in his second year so hardly proven. Nassib has had moderate only production so far and everyone else on the roster is either not yet productive, latent potential or under achievers. 

Collins looks promising and we're putting most of our eggs in his basket to improve the pass rush and he looks impressive but he's never actually produced to the level we need just yet. He should have every opportunity but he cant turn it around on his own.

I like your take and think it’s a rational and spot on.

Id add.... Every assumes Crosby is guaranteed to have 10+ sacks..... i think he does because he has that “IT” factor.... when you watch him play he’s got the skill and more importantly the motor.  That said.... let’s not pretend a lot of his sacks last year came in bunches versus really bad OTs.... heck John Jerry is a big ole road grading RG they threw out at LT with 4th round rookie QB.  I’m not doubting Crosby but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him get way more double teams and chips.... he’s really the only “threat” we have as a pass rusher.  That COULD cause his sacks to drop a bit..... now I say that still expecting him to get better and produce at the same level.... but it’s not outside reason to think he could see less sacks as a result of more attention paid to him.

I’d really like some intelligent posters like yourself to go back and watch some old tape of Collins.  NFL’s app had game pass for free still.  I’ve been watching a ton of his ‘19 games and I see 1) a 3Tech who hardly ever plays on the other side of the ball on run plays, more often than not he’s getting pushed back.... and rarely makes a tackle or is active in the play 2) I don’t see the consistent burst as a pass rusher than Hurst gives us.... At first I was happy for Collins because i was told he could push the pocket.... something we lacked.... but in the games I’ve watched he often abandons his rush lane responsibilities with a rarely effective spin move that takes him out of the play and allows the QB to step up and run... Mariota burned home for a TD this way in ‘18.

I rarely saw anything to be excited over... honestly I had high hopes for him, we were sold on how he’d be a difference maker.... I just haven’t seen it in the now 7 games I’ve watched.... maybe I’m overly critical but I don’t think so.  He is a decent pass rusher overall.... I will say that.  

Ross was a big disappointment too.  He’s pretty good at stunts though.  I’ll give him that.

I know it’s easy to make fun of Hall right now, but when you watch the tape he was “active”.  He’d often get penetration and had good pursuit.  

we need a DT that can get penetration on running plays.  Littleton’s and Kwiatkoski’s was really aided by good DLines.  Kwiatkoski can take on blockers, but Littleton isn’t great at that.  He excess as a chase LB.... we gotta keep him clean for him to be at his best.

I know my opinions are not popular but that’s what I’ve SEEN.  I still think we have a good team but also think we could have some real problems on defense and might not be getting the best from our star defenders because of the lack of talent around them.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like your take and think it’s a rational and spot on.

Id add.... Every assumes Crosby is guaranteed to have 10+ sacks..... i think he does because he has that “IT” factor.... when you watch him play he’s got the skill and more importantly the motor.  That said.... let’s not pretend a lot of his sacks last year came in bunches versus really bad OTs.... heck John Jerry is a big ole road grading RG they threw out at LT with 4th round rookie QB.  I’m not doubting Crosby but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him get way more double teams and chips.... he’s really the only “threat” we have as a pass rusher.  That COULD cause his sacks to drop a bit..... now I say that still expecting him to get better and produce at the same level.... but it’s not outside reason to think he could see less sacks as a result of more attention paid to him.

I’d really like some intelligent posters like yourself to go back and watch some old tape of Collins.  NFL’s app had game pass for free still.  I’ve been watching a ton of his ‘19 games and I see 1) a 3Tech who hardly ever plays on the other side of the ball on run plays, more often than not he’s getting pushed back.... and rarely makes a tackle or is active in the play 2) I don’t see the consistent burst as a pass rusher than Hurst gives us.... At first I was happy for Collins because i was told he could push the pocket.... something we lacked.... but in the games I’ve watched he often abandons his rush lane responsibilities with a rarely effective spin move that takes him out of the play and allows the QB to step up and run... Mariota burned home for a TD this way in ‘18.

I rarely saw anything to be excited over... honestly I had high hopes for him, we were sold on how he’d be a difference maker.... I just haven’t seen it in the now 7 games I’ve watched.... maybe I’m overly critical but I don’t think so.  He is a decent pass rusher overall.... I will say that.  

Ross was a big disappointment too.  He’s pretty good at stunts though.  I’ll give him that.

I know it’s easy to make fun of Hall right now, but when you watch the tape he was “active”.  He’d often get penetration and had good pursuit.  

we need a DT that can get penetration on running plays.  Littleton’s and Kwiatkoski’s was really aided by good DLines.  Kwiatkoski can take on blockers, but Littleton isn’t great at that.  He excess as a chase LB.... we gotta keep him clean for him to be at his best.

I know my opinions are not popular but that’s what I’ve SEEN.  I still think we have a good team but also think we could have some real problems on defense and might not be getting the best from our star defenders because of the lack of talent around them.

I think if we sign a vet DT, and LB we would be good. Ideally we add 4-5 guys but I don't think that's realistic. Hopefully no one gets hurt, and we can nab a guy or 2 during cut day. For example Mark Barron, Mike Daniels would do wonders and would be dirt cheap. They might be past their prime, but they could be good for a few snaps, fresh off the bench.

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Key is safe this year due to competition. lol . Would be nice if he steps up, I don't think he is a lost cause. I think Key can be a better version of Benson Mayowa, he was finally getting sacks then got hurt.

I watched The Chicago game in London and we actually rushed Key as a standup DT a few times..... he did impress me from the film from last year..... he’s thin but “wiry” and slippery.  I’ll give him that.  And he’s got good pursuit.  I think it’s all going to come down to fundamentals with him.... will he develop the moves necessary to win immediately.  

I will say Key’s “development” this year is one of the top 5 factors for our teams success on defense.  If he can outplay what we got from Mayowa last year we’ll be in good shape.  I don’t necessarily mean he has to beat 7.0 sacks.... he just needs to be a likewise successful pass rusher to Mayowa.

11 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think if we sign a vet DT, and LB we would be good. Ideally we add 4-5 guys but I don't think that's realistic. Hopefully no one gets hurt, and we can nab a guy or 2 during cut day. For example Mark Barron, Mike Daniels would do wonders and would be dirt cheap. They might be past their prime, but they could be good for a few snaps, fresh off the bench.

Yeah.... I thought we were good before we lost Hall and Lee, although thought we needed a better “9th DL” and LB.....

but if we can add a run stuffing 3Tech that can play 60% of the run downs and get penetration we’ll be fine.  

As much as im against paying Clowney (because itll cost us on the ‘21 cap).... man oh man I’d love to see him playing 3Tech or 4i for us and getting penetration vs the run.  I’m just BSing with you and dreaming but I really think that’s the perfect role for him and he’d be great for us.  Watch him play... he always makes plays on backside pursuits + slants and always wins to the inside never ever to the outside.  I think playing him alongside a guy like Hankins and giving him the freedom to freelance a bit and shoot gaps he could finally be a ProBowler.  It’s a crazy idea at first but when i watch the film I think it’d work.

Ive advocated for Mark Barron for a long time.  I think he’s the perfect LB to add.... of what’s left.

Everyone keeps saying “we’ll play 4-2-5.... it’s okay” but what happens when we play a good running team and we can’t stop them.  And if you want to make the playoffs you gotta be able stop the run late in the year.

but if we can add a nice run stuffing DT and a SAM LB..... we’d be in great shape.  Assuming no one gets injured or sick..... then we’re calling up CFL players to sign them.... oh wait we already did! Kendal Vickers

Edited by jimkelly02

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah.... I thought we were good before we lost Hall and Lee, although thought we needed a better “9th DL” and LB.....

but if we can add a run stuffing 3Tech that can play 60% of the run downs and get penetration we’ll be fine.  

As much as im against paying Clowney (because itll cost us on the ‘21 cap).... man oh man I’d love to see him playing 3Tech or 4i for us and getting penetration vs the run.  I’m just BSing with you and dreaming but I really think that’s the perfect role for him and he’d be great for us.  Watch him play... he always makes plays on backside pursuits + slants and always wins to the inside never ever to the outside.  I think playing him alongside a guy like Hankins and giving him the freedom to freelance a bit and shoot gaps he could finally be a ProBowler.  It’s a crazy idea at first but when i watch the film I think it’d work.

Ive advocated for Mark Barron for a long time.  I think he’s the perfect LB to add.... of what’s left.

ya Barron been around for awhile, but been a key vet for a good steelers defense. In hindsight we would have saved cap for Clowney... I seen online we only have like 8m in cap space, he isn't coming to Vegas.  Imagine if we could have signed Clowney instead of Witten, Nassib, and Heath. Heck, even adding Byron Jones would have changed our 1st round pick

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

ya Barron been around for awhile, but been a key vet for a good steelers defense. In hindsight we would have saved cap for Clowney... I seen online we only have like 8m in cap space, he isn't coming to Vegas.  Imagine if we could have signed Clowney instead of Witten, Nassib, and Heath. Heck, even adding Byron Jones would have changed our 1st round pick

It’s closer to 4.25 according to over the cap.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

please don’t get me started, brother!  I’m sure people are tired of be saying I told you .... but I did say those were bad signings at the time.

i was following the Our cap space heavily (I run a spreadsheet) and saw it dropping .... and knew those moves we too costly and would hurt us in the long run.

I’m with ya 100%.... I just can’t get into the what if’s/ we shoulda’s....... it eats me up inside!