Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Random: I think we should convert Amik Robertson to a safety. Everyone wants Honey Bader, but one of Amik Robertson comps out of college was Honey Badger. Amik is like 5th or 6th on the depth chart, and a long shot to get any playing time. This could save his career 

Robertson has certainly been a bit of a disappointment, albeit as a later round pick. I think that s pick was probably a rare pick that was universally likes by everyone here and thought of as a steal. He definitely showed coverage skills, tackling skills and a lot if dog in college so I'm surprised it hasn't translated better.

The DB coaches we had last year were highly regarded and I thought he might break out but I guess at this stage, it's worth a try maybe. He did flash a little at outside corner but nothing really came of that. I wonder how the new regime sees him, it could definitely be a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Robertson has certainly been a bit of a disappointment, albeit as a later round pick. I think that s pick was probably a rare pick that was universally likes by everyone here and thought of as a steal. He definitely showed coverage skills, tackling skills and a lot if dog in college so I'm surprised it hasn't translated better.

The DB coaches we had last year were highly regarded and I thought he might break out but I guess at this stage, it's worth a try maybe. He did flash a little at outside corner but nothing really came of that. I wonder how the new regime sees him, it could definitely be a possibility.

I think a lot of our young defensive players got screwed because Guenther was such a terrible coach and then we hired Bradley who brought in a bunch of his own guys to play. It sounds like Nate Hobbs may start on the outside so maybe he can compete for the NCB job.

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/3217999/2022/03/30/clelin-ferrell-additions-at-receiver-backup-quarterback-role-more-from-raiders-coach-josh-mcdaniels/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• On how Ferrell, a defensive end selected by the previous regime with the No. 4 pick in the draft, will fit in:

“I think everybody, for us, it’s going to be a clean slate,” McDaniels said. “I am really not as interested in what they’ve done as much as what we can do moving forward. He’ll earn his role. Whatever the role is going to be, he’ll earn it. We might have some things we ask him to do that he hasn’t done as much of — but that might fit him better.”

• Like 2

• After the Adams trade, the Raiders don’t have a pick in next month’s draft until the third round at No. 86. How strange is that?

“Yeah, it’s going to be a little … I will say this, you never know about that,” McDaniels said. “There are a lot of conversations being had here at The Breakers. You never know where you could end up.

“We’re going to try and make every pick count, regardless of what round it is. And we also know that we’re going to be fairly active once the draft is over. We only have 60-some guys on the roster. So between now and right after the draft, there are going to be 20-some players added to our team.”

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think a lot of our young defensive players got screwed because Guenther was such a terrible coach and then we hired Bradley who brought in a bunch of his own guys to play. It sounds like Nate Hobbs may start on the outside so maybe he can compete for the NCB job.

This new man coverage defense might suit him a lot. That's another thing to watch for

Edited by Jeremy408

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Amik is to small. He was punked in coverage when he started last year. Forgot the game, but the QB went right at him and it looks like a toddler trying to cover a grown man outside. 

This is what I was talking about in another thread. . . a team saw a mismatch with Amik being small, and lined up their big wr / te on him. Easy mismatch created for their qb. 

Stuff like this we never do. but really thinking this will change

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Amik is to small. He was punked in coverage when he started last year. Forgot the game, but the QB went right at him and it looks like a toddler trying to cover a grown man outside. 

I don't think he's suited to play on the outside, give him a chance in the slot.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think he's suited to play on the outside, give him a chance in the slot.

Didn't they originally put him in the slot, but then Gus Bradley decided to play him on the outside. He small and can get bodied. I think he has a chance if he is moved to safety and asked to use range, and be physical making tackles. You don't have to be huge to tackle, seems like more of his natural position. 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Didn't they originally put him in the slot, but then Gus Bradley decided to play him on the outside. He small and can get bodied. I think he has a chance if he is moved to safety and asked to use range, and be physical making tackles. You don't have to be huge to tackle, seems like more of his natural position. 

Hard to ask him to cover TE's over the middle of the field at his size though.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:30 AM, NYRaider said:

That's an interesting one with Hobbs, I have some reservations in that if he played really well in the slot I'd like to see him there and not disrupt his development but we also have to factor in that an outside corner is of more value so if he can play there that is great for the team.

At this moment it looks like Mullen, Ya Sin and Averette are outside corners and we've had so many issues with slot corners over the last few years it's good to have at least one spot nailed down with a good, reliable starter. Hope our coaches know what they're doing if they do move him but as you say, we have to have more belief in them than that fraudulent DC Guenther.