It's time to commit to Nick / What to do with Foles?

Art_Vandalay

That Saints game was ripe for the taking.  After going up 14-0 in the 1st, the live Vegas odds made the Eagles a 2-to-1 favorite to win the game.  If Foles doesn't throw that pick, I firmly believe we get 7 or at least 3 in the possession, and the Saints never have the chance to fully swing the momentum.  I think we win 30-21 at the very least.  I also think we would beat the Rams next week and make it to the dance again.

Foles wasn't the problem (other than the awful risk to Ertz that resulted in a pick and changed the entire game).  Even with that pick, the 4th down conversion, and the D sucking, Foles was a bad drop by Jeffrey away from pulling another miracle out of you know what.

I think the Eagles need a stud RB who can win a game by himself, or at least strike the fear of God in the opposition.  We also need to improve the secondary by a lot.

I don't think trading Foles will do anything to improve that, and we'll still have big holes surrounding a better (but injury-prone) QB in Wentz.

But, trading Wentz could fill tons of holes IMO, and give Foles the added weapons he needs to make 3-4 more runs at the big show. 

That's why I think Howie needs to at least "listen" to another team who may be willing to do something stupid to acquire Wentz.    

55 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I get it, Foles accomplished what no other QB in Eagles history could do, Win a SB. However you guys who want to keep him over Wentz are Koo Koo for Coo Coo Puffs.

Sorry.

To be fair, I don't think anyone in their right mind would just flat-out keep Foles over Wentz lol.

Let me ask you a simple question: Would you rather have...

A.) Wentz, and paying him an insane amount of cap hit dollars for the next 8-10 years

or

B.) Foles for another 6-7 years, (3 or 4) additional 1st round picks, and the money to sign a game-changing RB?

45 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone in their right mind would just flat-out keep Foles over Wentz lol.

A.) Wentz, and paying him an insane amount of cap hit dollars for the next 8-10 years

or

B.) Foles for another 6-7 years, (3 or 4) additional 1st round picks, and the money to sign a game-changing RB?

Wentz. The FQB we haven't had in almost a decade since McNbabb left.

This assumption were getting some kind of RGIII + type deal is coming from who exactly? We would  be spending the same amount of money on Foles if chosen over Wentz, so money shouldn't  be mentioned.

You don't  trade FQB, period. You build around them like most successful  Organizations. 1st rd picks dont guarantee you anything. Ask the Browns.

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

or

Wentz without a doubt in my mind.

6 hours ago, Shoeless said:

or

Where are these 3 or 4 first round picks coming from out of interest?

7 hours ago, Shoeless said:

That Saints game was ripe for the taking.  After going up 14-0 in the 1st, the live Vegas odds made the Eagles a 2-to-1 favorite to win the game.  If Foles doesn't throw that pick, I firmly believe we get 7 or at least 3 in the possession, and the Saints never have the chance to fully swing the momentum.  I think we win 30-21 at the very least.  I also think we would beat the Rams next week and make it to the dance again.

Foles wasn't the problem (other than the awful risk to Ertz that resulted in a pick and changed the entire game).  Even with that pick, the 4th down conversion, and the D sucking, Foles was a bad drop by Jeffrey away from pulling another miracle out of you know what.

I think the Eagles need a stud RB who can win a game by himself, or at least strike the fear of God in the opposition.  We also need to improve the secondary by a lot.

I don't think trading Foles will do anything to improve that, and we'll still have big holes surrounding a better (but injury-prone) QB in Wentz.

But, trading Wentz could fill tons of holes IMO, and give Foles the added weapons he needs to make 3-4 more runs at the big show. 

That's why I think Howie needs to at least "listen" to another team who may be willing to do something stupid to acquire Wentz.    

The D Sucking?  The defense played great outside of one drive.  Foles played poor outside the first quarter underthrowing it on several occasions.  Not sure what game you were watching.

Holding the Saints 20 points was great, especially when they had possession for 37 minutes. It was the offense that faltered.

I understand the argument. One you need a suitor to give up that haul...Are we talking first rounders for the next 2-4 years. Or like a Raider team giving up 3 in one draft? 

I doubt the latter happens. Would you trade him for 1st round picks in '19, '20 and '21 to a team who's a QB away from contending...Jacksonville? The only NFC teams that are QB hungry are in the NFCE. All these are factors to consider. 

Jacksonville will net you 1st rounders in the late 20s, is that worth it? If Studfeld was the QB with a huge ceiling I would lean more towards it. If Foles can't shake the consistent questions about his decision making then I don't know if you can ride with him for the next 5-6 years. 

Its unfortunate Wentz could ask for a crazy salary considering his injury history. That contract plus the Cox contract could greatly affect the rest of the roster. 

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

I understand the argument. One you need a suitor to give up that haul...Are we talking first rounders for the next 2-4 years. Or like a Raider team giving up 3 in one draft? 

I doubt the latter happens. Would you trade him for 1st round picks in '19, '20 and '21 to a team who's a QB away from contending...Jacksonville? The only NFC teams that are QB hungry are in the NFCE. All these are factors to consider. 

Jacksonville will net you 1st rounders in the late 20s, is that worth it? If Studfeld was the QB with a huge ceiling I would lean more towards it. If Foles can't shake the consistent questions about his decision making then I don't know if you can ride with him for the next 5-6 years. 

Its unfortunate Wentz could ask for a crazy salary considering his injury history. That contract plus the Cox contract could greatly affect the rest of the roster. 

I'm on board with the plan of just continually drafting a rookie QB every 4 years until his deal expires. 

11 hours ago, Shoeless said:

The defense did not suck if anything they gave us a fighting chance in a game that was more lopsided than the score idicates. Yes, the injuries were the main reason we lost the game but Nick was a close second, he was forcing throws down the field that weren´t really there or flat out missed, missing a lot of throws underneath. Which is weird since that is the complete opposite of how he usually plays.

-Howie Roseman and Doug Pederson just announced that Carson Wentz is the Qb going forward.

-Will do what is best for the team regarding Nick Foles

-Would love to keep Nick Foles

In other words, Carson is the future, and sounds like they are going to franchise tag, or come to a deal with Nick so they can trade him.

53 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

-Howie Roseman and Doug Pederson just announced that Carson Wentz is the Qb going forward.

-Will do what is best for the team regarding Nick Foles

-Would love to keep Nick Foles

In other words, Carson is the future, and sounds like they are going to franchise tag, or come to a deal with Nick so they can trade him.

Doesn't that announcement hurt his value?

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

Doesn't that announcement hurt his value?

Its more or less a bidding war.  If there is multiple teams that want Nick foles they will have to outbid each other.  Its a gamble for sure, but my bet is that there will be teams interested.  Oakland Raiders, Jaguars, and Broncos are three teams that come to mind immediately.

NFL teams will do a lot for a QB if they like what they see.  There is a whole lot to like about Nick Foles.

2 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

The defense did not suck if anything they gave us a fighting chance in a game that was more lopsided than the score idicates. Yes, the injuries were the main reason we lost the game but Nick was a close second, he was forcing throws down the field that weren´t really there or flat out missed, missing a lot of throws underneath. Which is weird since that is the complete opposite of how he usually plays.

Agreed... we lost the game because the offense only put up 14, not because the defense held the Saints to 20.

24 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

Its more or less a bidding war.  If there is multiple teams that want Nick foles they will have to outbid each other.  Its a gamble for sure, but my bet is that there will be teams interested.  Oakland Raiders, Jaguars, and Broncos are three teams that come to mind immediately.

NFL teams will do a lot for a QB if they like what they see.  There is a whole lot to like about Nick Foles.

Elway can't be wrong many more times can he?

I think we need to find out what will teams like Cincy, Miami do as well with their current QB. If the market is flooded with Flacco, Dalton, Bridgewater, Eli, Tannehill, Carr we're less likely to get a decent offer. 

If some of those teams hold onto their current QB (because we know first hand its good to have a solid backup), we'll be playing the waiting game. Foles will have to have a good indication that he'll be given a starters role for him to buy out his deal. I don't think we can tag/trade him without getting some indication of the market. 

All info per Spotrac*

Flacco (34) - Ravens - (Pre 6/1) 10.5m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 18.5m cap savings - trade options? Jax, Denver, NYG

Tannehill (31) - Fins - (Pre 6/1) 13m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 18.7m cap savings - trade options? Denver, Wash, Jax, NYG

Kennum (31) - Broncos - (Pre 6/1) 11m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 11m cap savings - trade options? eh likely no. 

Dalton (31) - Bengals - (Pre 6/1) 16.2m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 16.2m cap savings - trade options? 

Carr (28) - Raiders - (Pre 6/1) 15m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 20m cap savings - trade options? Sure 

Eli (38) - Giants - (Pre 6/1) 17m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 17m cap savings

Bortles (27) Jags - (Pre 6/1) 4.5m cap savings; (Post 6/1) 9.5m cap savings 

Foles (30)

Fitzpatrick (36) - UFA

Bridgewater (27) - UFA

Winston (25) - UFA in 2020 

Taylor (30) - UFA 

Archived