Android Thread

BobbyPhil1781

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Pixel 2 comes with the same type of dongle for wired headphones that the iPhone comes with.  The only thing the Pixel 2 doesn't come with is a set of headphones.  That's kind of weird because nearly all phones come with some cheap headphones included.

Outside of Apple, Samsung and Google you have plenty of options.  LG, as you mentioned.  Razer made their first phone that has great specs (made to be a gaming phone), Motorola has released some very nice phones this year, Huawei Mate 10 Pro just came out recently, BLU is a company that makes really cheap phones ($100-$200) and they seem to be really good for that price point.  If you're looking for a phone like the BLU phone I mentioned, I can suggest some.  If you're going to go with LG, the LG V30 is the premiere LG phone on the market right now.  LG V20 is older, but I've heard that was pretty good.

Oh, also... if you're interested in a Apple or Samsung phone, there will be some really nice deals for Black Friday... if you are not currently on contract and/or if you're contract is running out and you can activate a new contract, I've seen some really great deals.  Most places are giving $250-$300 gift cards with the new activation of an iPhone 8, iPhone 8+, Samsung Note 8, Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+.

But doesnt the pixel 2 require different headphones than normal even with the adapter? I keep reading articles saying that finding headphones for the pixel is awful and expensive and youre better off getting bluetooth ones.

Thanks for the latter part. Contracts arent a thing anymore, you just have phone payments til you either pay it ofg or trade it back in.

44 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

But doesnt the pixel 2 require different headphones than normal even with the adapter? I keep reading articles saying that finding headphones for the pixel is awful and expensive and youre better off getting bluetooth ones.

Thanks for the latter part. Contracts arent a thing anymore, you just have phone payments til you either pay it ofg or trade it back in.

I don't believe it does.  I read an article today about what you're talking about.  In the article, he states that he lost the dongle that comes with the phone.  He didn't want another dongle, so he bought USB-C headphones, which aren't very common.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about, from Google.  It's a dongle that can fit any normal 3.5mm headphone.  This cost $9.

https://store.google.com/us/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter?hl=en-US

The iPhone has a similar type of dongle.

If you want a higher end phone that has a head phone jack then look at the Galaxy S8 or the Note 8.  I think if you get those on installment plans, they would be around the same amount of money as the iPhone 8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I don't believe it does.  I read an article today about what you're talking about.  In the article, he states that he lost the dongle that comes with the phone.  He didn't want another dongle, so he bought USB-C headphones, which aren't very common.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about, from Google.  It's a dongle that can fit any normal 3.5mm headphone.  This cost $9.

https://store.google.com/us/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter?hl=en-US

The iPhone has a similar type of dongle.

If you want a higher end phone that has a head phone jack then look at the Galaxy S8 or the Note 8.  I think if you get those on installment plans, they would be around the same amount of money as the iPhone 8.

Interesting. 

Do you have any experience using the dongle? Is it kind of annoying?

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Interesting. 

Do you have any experience using the dongle? Is it kind of annoying?

I have the Note 8, so no dongle required.  I have a friend who has the Pixel 2 XL and he told me simply keeps his dongle attached to his headphones, so he always has it with him.

21 minutes ago, showtime said:

I have the Note 8, so no dongle required.  I have a friend who has the Pixel 2 XL and he told me simply keeps his dongle attached to his headphones, so he always has it with him.

Makes sense.

Just going to bite the bullet I think. Just going to keep reading up on both the IPhone 8 and Pixel until next Thursday. Pixel 2 seems a bit better but im not sure if thats more so because of the camera being superior or just as a phone overall. Camera is important but not an end all be all for me.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Makes sense.

Just going to bite the bullet I think. Just going to keep reading up on both the IPhone 8 and Pixel until next Thursday. Pixel 2 seems a bit better but im not sure if thats more so because of the camera being superior or just as a phone overall. Camera is important but not an end all be all for me.

For me, the Pixel 2 is a no-brainer.  Honestly, if it wasn't for the Note 8, the Pixel 2 would be hands down the phone of the year.  Even with the Note 8, the Pixel 2 does some critical stuff better.  It's an outstanding phone and one that will still be great a year or two from now.

I'm usually a fan of bigger phones, but I think for the Pixel specifically - the Pixel 2 is better than the Pixel 2 XL because of all the screen issues that are present on the XL version of the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, was able to trade in the S7 and end up cutting my monthly payment in half by upgrading. No brainer really.

Cool man.  You got a great phone for a really great price.   You can also feel really good about the fact that Google will continue supporting this phone with software updates for at least 2-3 more years.  Normally, I like bigger phones more, but in the case of the Pixel 2, I wouldn't get the XL version because of all the known issues it has. 

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

Cool man.  You got a great phone for a really great price.   You can also feel really good about the fact that Google will continue supporting this phone with software updates for at least 2-3 more years.  Normally, I like bigger phones more, but in the case of the Pixel 2, I wouldn't get the XL version because of all the known issues it has. 

Yeah, pixel 2 is big enough for me tbh. Would prefer a bit bigger but no big deal.

Yeah, seems like a phone that I won't be in a rush to upgrade from anytime soon.

• Like 1

I was going to get the Pixel2 but this Pixel XL is so nice, aging well and honestly, not enough to warrant taking my money. The next iteration of this phone though, I'll probably snag it.  Good to see you guys are liking it though bc I'm always anxious to see positive reviews of these phones whether I plan on purchasing it or not

• Like 1