Android Thread

BobbyPhil1781

^Sorry, I messed up the format of my above post.  The initial post was me asking about phones and @Matts4313 responded to me.  Then, I responded back to Matts.  Hopefully that's clear to everyone and some of you can offer some insights as well.

I'd really like to hear more about the Note 8 vs Galaxy S8.  Also, I know this isn't an Apple thread, but I'm also considering the iPhone 8 Plus.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:26 PM, showtime said:

^Sorry, I messed up the format of my above post.  The initial post was me asking about phones and @Matts4313 responded to me.  Then, I responded back to Matts.  Hopefully that's clear to everyone and some of you can offer some insights as well.

I'd really like to hear more about the Note 8 vs Galaxy S8.  Also, I know this isn't an Apple thread, but I'm also considering the iPhone 8 Plus.

My fiance has a S8 and absolutely loves it. Says it's the best phone she's ever had. The Note 8 interests me A LOT but I won't go back to Sammy after doing the stock Android thing. IMO, it's bloated but they have the hardware to make up for it plus you can disable a lot of the bloat and nonsense like Bixby. It just seems useless to me but I can't say I've ever messed around w/ it.

18 hours ago, RaiderX said:

I've had my Galaxy S5 for almost 3 years it seems. Not the type of guy to get the latest version of a phone, but the Pixel 2 interests me. Anybody have issues/review with the first one?

I have  Pixel XL that I just got as a replacement for my 6P. Prior to getting this, the 6P was the best phone I've ever had. This phone took that spot over. Literally the only reason why is updated hardware and specs. For that reason, I can't see why the Pixel 2 won't be great especially b/c it looks like it'll have front facing speakers which I miss A LOT on this phone. My 6P had it but the Pixel XL does not. Keep in mind that it doesn't have a headphone jack so that may be something of worth for you. It'll be  a great phone.

5 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

My fiance has a S8 and absolutely loves it. Says it's the best phone she's ever had. The Note 8 interests me A LOT but I won't go back to Sammy after doing the stock Android thing. IMO, it's bloated but they have the hardware to make up for it plus you can disable a lot of the bloat and nonsense like Bixby. It just seems useless to me but I can't say I've ever messed around w/ it.

Yes, I have heard years ago that Samsung's skin - TouchWiz (not sure if that's what it's called) was kind of laggy and bogged the phone down.  I was watching some reviews of the Note 8 and it seems like Samsung's software is much better integrated into the OS and the experience is great.

The last phone I had was an iPhone 5, I believe it was.  The screen on the Note 8 makes it really difficult to look at the iPhone 8's screen.  

4 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Google Pixel 2 XL is also worth considering @showtime 

Top camera, better software than Touchwiz, small bezels.

Camera does not really interest me.  I saw the Pixel 2 unveil today and was impressed, seems like a great phone.  But outside of the camera what's so great about it?  Is it mainly that it runs stock Android? 

Just now, showtime said:

Camera does not really interest me.  I saw the Pixel 2 unveil today and was impressed, seems like a great phone.  But outside of the camera what's so great about it?  Is it mainly that it runs stock Android? 

Its the software experience as a whole. Yes it is stock android

Key Pluses:
Lag free performance that stays that way even a year later.
Updates, both OS and security. 
AI platform - I understand you can use the assistant in other Android phones, but its just not as smooth/seamless as its on the Pixel
Best camera (even if it doesnt interest you its not a negative)

At this point its basically an iPhone equivalent with Google services but no iMessage

The Pixel 2 was announced and it somewhat seems disappointing.

• No wireless charging
  • No headphone jack
  • No SD card slot

Some people are saying the bezel around the phone looks kind of strange; however, this shows up much less on the XL version of the phone.  I'm not sure how to feel about it, but at this point, I think I would rather have a Note 8 over the Pixel 2.

On 10/7/2017 at 1:40 AM, Mossburg said:

No headphone jack isn't a big deal. Actually the bigger annoyance is carrying the USB-C headphones and not being able to use them on computers. Using them with the phone is a none issue IMO.

I agree to a certain extent, but not having a headphone jack is still inconvenient for a decent amount of people.  Also, we are approaching 2018 very soon; for this phone to now have wireless charging is a huge turnoff.  Granted, I have never owned a phone that was capable of wireless charging, but that is actually something I am really excited about.

The Pixel 2 seems great for a stock Android experience, but from everything I have read, Samsung has really closed the gap with their brand new devices.  I have done so much research on the Note 8 and the software on that phone seems excellent, considering Samsung's previous track record years ago.