tomlin lovers

muncher

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think Butler has been pretty good.  I do think Porter and Olsavsky need to go.  The real problem ( other than lack of talent) is the communication in the secondary.  They might try to draft football players rather than athletes.

Tomlin did say that there's got to be major changes to the staff.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:50 PM, jebrick said:

I think Butler has been pretty good.  I do think Porter and Olsavsky need to go.  The real problem ( other than lack of talent) is the communication in the secondary.  They might try to draft football players rather than athletes.

I dont disagree completely.    My fear is that we move on from Butler, and then he goes to a defense with more talent and does well.

Its a tricky situation with Butler.    I dont think he has been great, but at the same time, I feel like he is making the most with what he is given.    And I honestly dont know how much input he has for the defensive players we bring in.  If I did, that would probably tip the scale one way or another.

The more I think about it, I dont think they should move on from Butler unless they are prepared to completely overhaul the defense and give whoever takes over at DC the ability to build the defense he wants with whatever players he wants.   I feel like if Colbert, Tomlin and the scouts are the overwhelming decision makers in regards to the talent we bring in, then whatever DC we bring in is going to be handcuffed by that fact.

Like I said, I dont know all the facts so its hard to know who to blame for what, but I honestly believe if we had another quality pass rusher opposite Watt, better PLAYERS in the secondary, and even one better than average inside linebacker, this defense could have alot more success.      Butler hasnt been great, but given how atrocious our secondary talent and overall linebacker talent has been since he took over as DC, I dont know if there are many DCs who would be notably better.    

Ive said it a hundred times....our biggest issue on defense is lack of talent, and has been since we started losing talented players in the late 2000's/early 2010s.

For me, Buter's blitzes have been outstanding.  He was a LB coach for a long time.  What is hurting is the secondary.  I think I saw that they were the first team with 50 sacks and less than 10 (7) ints.  To me that is talent or developing talent.

Again I will predict/repeat.  Tomlin is going no where until Ben retires.  Then I think Rooney blows it up.  New coach and new staff.  What he also needs to change are the scouts but I think many of them just need to die off 'cuse EMR is not going to get rid of his school chums.

our biggest problem on defense is coaching. 

it doesnt take boats loads of talent to know covering a teams wr1 with a slow LB isnt  the best thing to do

it doesnt take loads of talent to understand the defense. we have guys admitting that they are running two different defenses at the same time. how long have we seen this?

everyone of us have bitched for years how we should attack NE, the one time is works and they never go back to it again.

dbs playing 10-15 yards off

So I asked this question two days ago on FaceBook and don't believe I've gotten a valid response yet...

For people who think Tomlin has underachieved and should have done better; Let's assume he didn't have his deficits.... How many more games would the Steelers have won since 2011 and how many more Super Bowls would they have won?

30 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

So I asked this question two days ago on FaceBook and don't believe I've gotten a valid response yet...

For people who think Tomlin has underachieved and should have done better; Let's assume he didn't have his deficits.... How many more games would the Steelers have won since 2011 and how many more Super Bowls would they have won?

It wins 7-9 more games total (some years more like this year, some none at all like last year). 

I say it doesn’t change the SB win total. Maybe makes one more but that’s it. And the one I think we make is the year Brown, Bell, and Williams we’re out against Denver. The year Manning gave himself up in the pocket but wasn’t touched and play had an inadvertent whistle from the stands make guys think it was over. 

Yes we would have played the Patriots next, but that was the year Gronk was the only receiving threat, they had no run game, and the secondary was a mash unit at best. But we would have had Williams and Brown back, making that game better  

That was the SB in SF against the Panthers, who I think would have lost that game, because our lines would have been beat to crap by Carolinas lines and Cam would have had his way with our defense that year. 

8 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Even if the Steelers went 15-1 every season and won every SB since 2011, he wouldnt have been the reason for any of that success.   He would only be responsible for that one loss each season.

You're welcome for the valid response.   

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Even if the Steelers went 15-1 every season and won every SB since 2011, he wouldnt have been the reason for any of that success.   He would only be responsible for that one loss each season.

You're welcome for the valid response.   

For the people that hate my Tomlin that is absolutely true. What I think people really fail to realize is that we have been in the Super Bowl era for more than 50 years and no one team has won more than 6 Super Bowls ever. People act like winning Super Bowls is an extremely easy thing to do. The New England Patriots went 18-0 & still lost a Super Bowl with Bill Belichick as their head coach. I think that if we didn't seemingly play down two teams at times that we might have one more Super Bowl in my tomlin's time as our head coach and I believe if we would have played better against the Green Bay Packers You could argue that that would have been the other Super Bowl so maybe he would have had a total of 2 Super Bowl wins more than he already has. But artist he should be fired every time this team fails to win a Superbowl is ridiculous because if that were the case it wouldn't be any head coaches in the NFL. I honestly don't know if the phrase playing down to opponents is the right group of words to use as much as it is overlooking opponents based on a belief that you should easily be able to beat them and therefore not being as prepared for a difficult game as he should be. I think this is an area we're not just Mike Tomlin but the entire team and coaching staff fails at times. You are not going to sit here and tell me that the Pittsburgh Steelers went into the Oakland Raider game and took them seriously. We should have won that game by double-digit I'm sorry but it's true their defense is not that good and their offense is not much better. You can talk about the facts in donio brown wasn't on the field against the Cincinnati Bengals all you want we still should have beat them by two or three touchdowns they had Driscoll as they're freaking quarterback. I'm sorry but he's not that good. Now whatever On Any Given Sunday anybody can win and I'm not going to jump on some bandwagon and say hey fire this guy because he won a game by three points instead of 30 points. But I will say that if I am correct in my speculation that the team and coaching staff do a poor job of preparing for what should be weak teams in overlooking them this is an area that needs addressed and changed but then again I'm not really saying anything to anybody else isn't already thinking but I also am not in the locker room or on the practice field to know what's truly going on. 30 answer your question sort of I'm not sure if I have already or not but I think it's possible to say that we could have one or two more Super Bowl wins but I think it's also Sarah argue that we wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What 15 games?

What extra Super Bowls?

What would have been different?

Man if Tomlin could have done that I would have a pet unicorn.

not too hard to basically come up with 2 games a year over that span.

all i hear is how home field ise huge come playoffs. i bet that would having given it to us several years

plus, lets not forget all the fans that say 'any given sunday' when a poor team beats us. how about 'any given sunday' we beat a team that is equal or better than us in the playoffs?

Archived