2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Youre starting to sound like the Pittsburgh media. Lets not pretend like Ben was a strength of ours this year. Lets not pretend that he deserves an A rating. He has not performed at the level we need him to. Its part of the reason our defense spends so much time on the field. Comparable to Jared Goff? Okay...a guy i think might not even be top 10 compares to our HOF QB? Thats not a compliment. 

How am I sounding like the media? Just because I won’t compare him to 2 guys in two of the most absurd offenses in the NFL?

the average WR Mahomes threw to this year had 2.5 yards of separation. Average Ben threw to had 0.8. 

Ben gets a solid B from me. Was he part of the problem? Sure. Did he play massively different than he has? Hell no. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

How am I sounding like the media? Just because I won’t compare him to 2 guys in two of the most absurd offenses in the NFL?

the average WR Mahomes threw to this year had 2.5 yards of separation. Average Ben threw to had 0.8. 

Ben gets a solid B from me. Was he part of the problem? Sure. Did he play massively different than he has? Hell no. 

Lets not forget the main reason he threw so many picks is how poor he passed the football early on. He was also forcing passes into double and triple coverage to AB.

Is this due to his own ego believing he is invincible or an attempt to avoid the eventual drama that took place anyway? Idk.

Here is my point, Ben gets a C+ from me. He did good down the stretch and was NOT our biggest issue. Having said that, he is playing in a league right now where we have and are getting from him is no longer good enough. Thats just the reality of it. If he can clean up the forced throws, my issues with him will disappear. Again, i am not blaming our seasonal results on him, not by a long shot. Just expressing my opinions of Dulac's "A" rating.

A solid B? We can agree to disagree but at least you didnt give him an A ;)

I think I could of stomach some of bens picks(or the offenses turnovers in general), if the defense was taking the ball away. Find myself being jealous when another team gets multiple game changing turnovers in a game. they really need to fix that. not getting turnovers, poor special teams and turning it over is a bad combination. wonder if that had a negative impact on field position

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, August4th said:

I think I could of stomach some of bens picks, if the defense was taking the ball away. Find myself being jealous when another team gets multiple game changing turnovers in a game. they really need to fix that.

Yup. That’s my issue. Bens turnovers are compounded by a defense that allows the opposing team to turn it into points. 

Just now, wwhickok said:

You can also argue his ints led the defense into several positions.

I accidentally closed the tab, but the opposing offense scored on 80% of the turnovers by Ben in his own redzone.  Meaning 80% of the time the opposing team went 80+ yards for a TD, or 60+ for a FG.  

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup. That’s my issue. Bens turnovers are compounded by a defense that allows the opposing team to turn it into points. 

I think the TB and NE games were the only times the defense had game changing turnovers

Steelers only forced 9 turnovers after that TB game, where they got 4. I believe three of those 9 happened when the game was well in hand late in the 4th(atl, car and jag) so the defense only forced 6 meaningful turnovers in our last 13 games...

16 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yup.  Which is why I won't 'penalize' Ben for 'putting the defense in a bad position'.  Our defense had one of the worst 3rd down rates after a TO, gave up the most points per drive after a TO.

What im really saying is, this was a tiral team failure and the Pitt media should be, imo, willing to admit that.

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What im really saying is, this was a tiral team failure and the Pitt media should be, imo, willing to admit that.

They are.  Yes they are going a little over the top on the Ben love, but they are saying of all the issues Ben wasn't the biggest.

FWIW on the turnover things:

Mahomes had 12 INT's, but also had 9 fumbles, his team lost 5 go them. For 17 total TO's.

Ben had 16 INT's, but had 7 fumbles, and we only lost 3 of them.  That's 19 total TO's.  

Much closer in raw TO's now.

Also Ben's INT% was 2.4

Mahomes INT% was 2.1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:
14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They are.  Yes they are going a little over the top on the Ben love, but they are saying of all the issues Ben wasn't the biggest.

FWIW on the turnover things:

Mahomes had 12 INT's, but also had 9 fumbles, his team lost 5 go them. For 17 total TO's.

Ben had 16 INT's, but had 7 fumbles, and we only lost 3 of them.  That's 19 total TO's.  

Much closer in raw TO's now.

Also Ben's INT% was 2.4

Mahomes INT% was 2.1

Mahommes also threw for 50 TDs and led his team to the #1 seed in the afc. Was one 'offsides' penalty from a SB. And is the likely 2018 MVP.

His turnovers are a bit more forgiveable all things considered. They didn't have near the impact on the chiefs as Bens did on Pitt

Edited by wwhickok