2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

I wasn't really sure where to put this but I have some thoughts that I wanted to share out loud they're not necessarily tied to anyone specific thread a couple of them could be but they're just general thoughts on the team and some things going on with the team and I just wanted to share them.

First of all on the potential of Ryan Shazier being reassigned for league minimum and then probably put on the pup list allowing him to use team facilities for Rehab I really hope this is something that does happen. I do believe that given the nature of the organization's image to the public and as a standard for NFL I believe they need to keep the family Mantra going in this way. I don't believe that Ryan Shazier will ever play football again and I don't believe that matters. The driving force for Ryan Shazier the goal that keeps him going is the possibility of playing so regardless of whether or not it's realistic it doesn't matter what we think what the media thinks or frankly even what the front office thinks dead what does matter is that he has the support to continue to believe in what is driving him to continue to improve his current situation in life. So getting back to my point I hope that the Steelers find a way to keep the financial impact to a minimum and still do right by Ryan Shazier.

I've heard varying discussions we all have about Le'Veon Bell and the possibility of a transition tag or whatever. I really hope they just let him go to free agency that's what I believe will happen that's what I believe needs to happen. I mean sure it would be great to get something for sure out of Le'Veon Bell but I'm just over the drama and I'm ready to move on. I have loved having Le'Veon Bell here I still think he's one of the best running backs in the league if not the best and I feel the same way about end of your ground I have loved having him here I do believe he will be traded and frankly I'm on board at this point 100% with the idea of trading him I feel that we needed to move on from him right now and I wish them both well in the future but I also believe completely that moving forward both of these guys need not be a member of the Steelers organization.

As displeased as I am with Keith Butler and Danny Smith remaining on the staff I have expressed my criticisms of Mike Tomlin where I feel that they are fair but I have personally mentally come to the point where I am willing to accept it as it is. Even if I'm not it doesn't change it but I have come as a fan and a football fan even more so to the appreciation for the decision. Many of you have said this and I have come to that point where I am on board with the thought that the defense of talent situation is so bad that perhaps my time length decision is based on him being unable to definitively say Keith Butler is the problem versus being able to potentially definitively say the talent or rather lack thereof is the problem. I also believe that this is Keith Butler's last chance to improve the defense. I am a believer and obviously we will never really know but I am a believer that this positive discussion that they had probably included some discussion about the need to do better and that this would be his last chance to prove that he is a guy for the job. I believe if we do poorly again on defense under his leadership defensively that he will be fired of course I also am a believer whether it's the right decision or not and I'm on both sides of that fence for different reasons that if we have another playoff absent Year Mike Tomlin will be fired. I have brought up his name before but I would really like to see someone like Deion Buchanan added to the roster and maybe a mid-level corner Bradley Roby would be awesome but something tells me he's going to get a Payday. I don't feel like we need to go out and get too many free agents.

Ramon Foster has a contract that needs obviously resigned potentially. I believe we need to make it a priority to get BJ Finney under contract first. BJ Finney is younger and more versatile in terms of being able to move around on the offense of line. I believe he is capable of being a starter. But if you lowball Ramon Foster and lose them both you significantly damaged your depth on the offensive line and if you go to Ramon Foster first in the BJ Finney sign somewhere else you are at the mercy of potentially overpaying Ramon Foster. I would not be opposed to keeping them both if Ramon Foster agreed to a reasonably teen friendly contract but I don't think we end up keeping them both. I also believe that the one that we don't keep ends up playing for the Denver Broncos.

Finney will be back next year as his RFA tag is only $2 mill...worst case, he doesn’t sign long term deal, they lose Foster and go into draft with depth issues at IOL.

Personally I don’t think they lose BOTH Gilbert and Foster...I think Foster comes back as af now and they cut Gilbert.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I don’t think they’ll want that much turnover on the OL along with Munchak leaving. 

Gilbert has missed the majority of the last 2 season, and hasn't been great in the time he has played.  Not much turnover there.

Foster is 33.  Wouldnt mind giving him a cheap 2 year deal, but that change is coming soon anyway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Gilbert has missed the majority of the last 2 season, and hasn't been great in the time he has played.  Not much turnover there.

Foster is 33.  Wouldnt mind giving him a cheap 2 year deal, but that change is coming soon anyway.

I actually agree with you but I’m just thinking out loud what I think the Steelers will do...not what I personally would do.

26 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I actually agree with you but I’m just thinking out loud what I think the Steelers will do...not what I personally would do.

I hear ya...but the logic remains either way.    

Feiler played well and we drafted an OT early last year.  Between that and the fact that Gilbert has played 12 games in the last 2 years, I dont see what kind of "continuity" he offers at this point, even from the teams perspective.   

Foster, on the other hand, has been pretty consistent, even if he isnt anything special.     I could go either way on him.

With AV, Pouncey and DeCastro, that offers plenty of continuity, and if they replace them with players that are currently on the team, there shouldnt be much turnover at all.

10 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Almost $4mil savings. 

Creates another hole but maybe with ARII comments on not enough turnovers, maybe they splurge on a DB...I know Weddle said he’d retire I’d cut by Ravens(we’ll see) but I’m not sure what the S market looks like in FA.

1 hour ago, Blitzburgh said:

I don’t think Burrnett would be a loss. I was hoping they cut him. There are a lot of good FA safeties out there.  I would think Edmunds could fill the $lb role too.

Thats the thing for me. He was injured for literally 3/4 of the season. He, in that respect, is very replaceable. Having him on the roster is just as bad as not having him for our depth because he eats up cap space and sits on the bench unavailable due to injury.