2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

The fact he had a bigger impact on theit success.

Im not saying they are okay. Im saying they factored less into the results of their season.

Again, I kinda disagree.  We want to talk about how talented we are, but Hill, Watkins, Conley, Kelce, Hunt, Ware and that OL were a very talented group, not factoring in how smart Reid is offensively.

Like I said, 13 of Mahomes TD passes were shovel passes that traveled less than 2 air yards or a pass that stayed behind the LOS.

Ben only had 5 all season.

Chiefs also had (IIRC) 23 more drives than us on the season.  That's almost 1.5 more per game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Again, I kinda disagree.  We want to talk about how talented we are, but Hill, Watkins, Conley, Kelce, Hunt, Ware and that OL were a very talented group, not factoring in how smart Reid is offensively.

Like I said, 13 of Mahomes TD passes were shovel passes that traveled less than 2 air yards or a pass that stayed behind the LOS.

Ben only had 5 all season.

Chiefs also had (IIRC) 23 more drives than us on the season.  That's almost 1.5 more per game.

I hear you. I just ultimately think the Pittsburgh is scared to criticize Ben for fear he will deny them access to him.

27 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I hear you. I just ultimately think the Pittsburgh is scared to criticize Ben for fear he will deny them access to him.

I don't disagree.  I think that using Mahomes and Brees as "Why I won't give Ben an A" is a bad scale.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't disagree.  I think that using Mahomes and Brees as "Why I won't give Ben an A" is a bad scale.

You're not wrong that's the way I used it that's not the way I meant it but that is in fact the way I used it what I was trying to say is their performance is worthy of an A. But they are also in different situations.

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You're not wrong that's the way I used it that's not the way I meant it but that is in fact the way I used it what I was trying to say is their performance is worthy of an A. But they are also in different situations.

I really think Cam Jordan’s “not a HOF QB” comments got under the skin of the media far more than Ben himself and they are trying too hard to make him great. But in the end, Bens 36, which is when QBs used to retire. They started to decline at 33. So when he would have had an extra 5-6 years as a “bridge era” QB, he’s had to deal with Peyton playing longer, Brees still in the league, Brady still in the league; along with the random spike years for Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Joe Flacco and people wanting to stupidly elevate them. 

Bens never going to get his 3-6 years of “Old vet one of the best because of that” like so many other QBs got because of the lack of older guys being around and young guys improving. 

There are very few QB's, young or old, you could place on this roster with this coaching staff who would produce the way Roethlisberger does or put up the stats he does. He has a defensive coach who likes to shorten games and keep things close. He's never had some brilliant offensive mind calling things, at least not one that wasn't impeded. I don't know what to make of Arians. If Arians was here with Ben and this OL, I think we'd see the monster MVP season that has eluded Ben. But when he was here he had mediocre WR group paired with a godawful OL and a poor stable of RB's most years. The offense was typically a mess, and the resources devoted to it completely different from where they're at now.

The Steelers literally had the mindset on offense with the OL of we don't need top talent  because we have #7 and that defense. When things go bad, #7 can make something out of nothing. Then they started to get scared with all the hits he was taking, and they finally put top resources into fixing it. And meanwhile, Todd Haley gets credit for his hits dropping.

Tom Brady is Tom Brady. There's Aaron Rodgers who is probably a bit cleaner, less likely to do things to lose you a game. One of the few guys with more physical talent than Ben, though only slightly. Russell Wilson is still criminally underrated in my book and has kind of gotten the Ben treatment despite not having the off the field sort of issues. That's really it. That's my list. Drew Brees? That makes me laugh, though I know I'm way in the minority there.

There's not a single other QB outside those three I'd even entertain over Ben if I had to win a game tomorrow.