2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Munchak leaves, James Saxon is fired, Teryl Austin who has been fired by multiple times made asst secondary coach, Butler given more responsibility.

Yep...the FO/Tomlin are sure inspiring a lot of fan support....

If you could do so much better, what would you do? 

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If you could do so much better, what would you do? 

I would have hired Butler. Brought Kevin Greene in as a LBs coach. I would have hired Brent Venables as our DC (or at least tried to). I do know this much. What they have done, doesnt show a desire to actually change the current downward spiral.

Edited by wwhickok

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I would have hired Butler. Brought Kevin Greene in as a LBs coach. I would have hired Brent Venables as our DC (or at least tried to). I do know this much. What they have done, doesnt show a desire to actually change the current downward spiral.

Wasnt trying to be mean, but too many people criticize the front office about these things but have no suggestions how to fix things.

I respect that you want to move on from Butler, but Venables has never coached at the pro level.   Im not saying it would be a bad idea, but I dont see many other NFL teams jumping at him.  He has an incredibly talented group at Clemson, and he'd be coming to an NFL team with average at best defensive talent.   To expect him to be much better is unrealistic.   Wouldnt scoff at the hire, but I also think youre not looking at the situations carefully.

Have we even replaced Porter yet?    Too early to judge that yet.

Our "downward spiral", while real, is a bit overstated.  

Yes, this team finished 9-6-1...but we were probably about 10 plays from being 14-2.     Not that there were dozens of other plays and coaching issues that negatively impacted our season, but you can look at probably 10 plays that completely changed our season.

The main issues that plague this team dont stem from any single coach or player.    Barring a page one rewrite of the entire team, its adjustments that any good staff should be able to make.   The changes you suggest arent going to fix our main issues.

We need to bring in better talent, especially on defense.    Whoever the DC and LB coach are are still going to be potentially handicapped by the mediocre talent Colbert, Tomlin and the scouts provide them.

Im not, in any way, against moving on from Butler, but you keep acting like a different coach is going to turn it all around, when talent is the much bigger issue.     Not sure what coaches are going to have much success with Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Bud Dupree, Sean Davis, and Coty Sensabaugh as starters (you could throw Edmunds in there as well, but he at least has upside).

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

With Munchak leaving, it wouldn’t surprise me to see either Finney or Foster join him in Denver.

Finney is a RFA or ERFA can’t remember which. If Foster goes, isn’t that what some people wanted in season claiming the line was better with Finney over Foster. 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Finney is a RFA or ERFA can’t remember which. If Foster goes, isn’t that what some people wanted in season claiming the line was better with Finney over Foster. 🤷‍♂️

I thought Finney was a RFA too but saw an article stating he was a UFA.

Foster played well overall but my guess it may come down to contract terms between him and Foster.

Either way, if 1 leaves, the IOL depth will need upgraded.

8 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I thought Finney was a RFA too but saw an article stating he was a UFA.

Foster played well overall but my guess it may come down to contract terms between him and Foster.

Either way, if 1 leaves, the IOL depth will need upgraded.

That’s bad info then:

One other Steelers lineman set to become a free agent in less than 9 weeks is backup center/guard B.J. Finney. Finney, however, is scheduled to become a restricted free agent in March and thus we should expect the Steelers to issue him, at the very least, a low right-of-first-refusal tender of around $2 million.”

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/foster-finney-could-be-reasonable-free-agent-targets-for-broncos-with-munchak-now-in-fold/

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Wasnt trying to be mean, but too many people criticize the front office about these things but have no suggestions how to fix things.

I respect that you want to move on from Butler, but Venables has never coached at the pro level.   Im not saying it would be a bad idea, but I dont see many other NFL teams jumping at him.  He has an incredibly talented group at Clemson, and he'd be coming to an NFL team with average at best defensive talent.   To expect him to be much better is unrealistic.   Wouldnt scoff at the hire, but I also think youre not looking at the situations carefully.

Have we even replaced Porter yet?    Too early to judge that yet.

Our "downward spiral", while real, is a bit overstated.  

Yes, this team finished 9-6-1...but we were probably about 10 plays from being 14-2.     Not that there were dozens of other plays and coaching issues that negatively impacted our season, but you can look at probably 10 plays that completely changed our season.

The main issues that plague this team dont stem from any single coach or player.    Barring a page one rewrite of the entire team, its adjustments that any good staff should be able to make.   The changes you suggest arent going to fix our main issues.

We need to bring in better talent, especially on defense.    Whoever the DC and LB coach are are still going to be potentially handicapped by the mediocre talent Colbert, Tomlin and the scouts provide them.

Im not, in any way, against moving on from Butler, but you keep acting like a different coach is going to turn it all around, when talent is the much bigger issue.     Not sure what coaches are going to have much success with Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, Bud Dupree, Sean Davis, and Coty Sensabaugh as starters (you could throw Edmunds in there as well, but he at least has upside).

I hear you, i do. I feel the talent is the bigger issue but i just feel Butler finds himself lost at times. He worries me on how he uses talent and his play calls.

But i didnt take you as being mean, youre bluntness is what i appreciate about you, war, and others.

Wouldnt be the first time i gotta eat crow and I would prefer to be wrong about Butler this time too.