2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Im sorry, I dont mean to derail, but I honestly cannot keep seeing this.

Javon Hargrave was absolutely terrific this year and saying he is anything less....like average at best....should be an absolute crime, punishable by a 3 week ban. 

I understand he isnt what people want at NT because you only envision Casey Hampton when you think of the letters N.T., but good lord that guy had a really good season. He IS todays games NT. He took the jump guys are supposed to take in the third year. Production wise, he outplayed Tuitt and nearly matched Heyward -- all while playing 115 and 327 less snaps respectively.

So, kindly....stop it. 

[Edit: actually, noticed I was looking at the wrong year for snap count -- it was 238 less snaps than Tuitt and 386 less than Heyward]

Yeah he was good at penetration but was pushed/controlled in the Run Game. So, many of us (including me) see the NT as the primary force in the Run Game. So in that sense he was below average. Furthermore, he didn't occupy a double team either so in that sense he was a below average NT. So by "today's" definition he was pretty good. I just don't see much use for that type in a 3DL front. I'm aware they weren't in that Base Defense the majority of the time but perhaps if he was a better fit they could. 

23 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

it means he will do 2 jobs for the price of 1, and no, the team won't get better unless they acquire talent such as Woodley for Harrison.  Of course, this promotion could also eventually lead to the HC job! xD

Kevin Butler will never be the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. That I guarantee

29 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

but was pushed/controlled in the Run Game

I dont think he was as much as you think. Is he the stout -- let me hold the Guard and Center and maybe catch a piece of the fullback while Im at it - guy? No. But his horizontal flow (aka - the new NFL) is tremendous. He is in on more screen, off tackle, and stretch plays that are more and more common in todays NFL than a more formal NT would be. Even then he isnt THAT bad holding his ground. I wouldnt put him at the top of the league, but when you add the rest of what he brings to the table it more than makes up for it. 

What you give up in stout up the middle running you gain in down line pursuit and then double that with the pass rush. We need to get beyond the idea that a NT is what it was 10 years ago. The NFL is different and Hargrave is a perfect fit for multi-front, horizontal football. 

We were 6th in per game and 9th in per carry in the NFL against the run. NFL outsiders had our defensive rushing efficiency at 8th in the league. Those stats are not perfect, but we were not some gaping hole of rushing which seems to be the general thought when people think of Hargrave. 

Hargrave gets to the football and gets after the quarterback and the NFL isnt looking in the rearview mirror for the days of a FB and 3 TEs dive plays. Im not sure why we keep looking back either to defend it. 

• Like 2