2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

9 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Fair enough...but do you think Butler is on the block before next season??  Or are you saying that it will take another season of 'proof' and other roster turnovers to have a case to say 'yeah, Butler is the problem'?

what I am saying, though, is, the guys that weren't performing were let go because they didn't perform at the level that the team expected them to; I don't think it was any kind of PR play, at all, TBH. (Well, I guess you could say protecting yourself from further embarrassment by one of your coaches is 'technically' PR, but I'm saying, I don't think it was to send some sort of message, or part of some more elaborate plan to shake up 'bigger' coaches on the roster.)

My $0.02 on it:

Porter was way underperforming and reportedly causing division in the locker room.  Saxon was slightly underperforming as fumble and pass protect issues prevailed.  So you had reason to dump them both.

But it was made far easier to say "Letting these coaches go will make them uncomfortable and remind them it's about the job not about the friendships."

• Like 1

This may have been already talked about but in case it wasn't I'm going to bring it up here. I also want to preface this by saying that I understand that the CFL is a completely different animal than the NFL. A little bit of an under-the-radar signing recently buy the Pittsburgh Steelers was a wide receiver named Deontae Spencer. I've seen a couple of articles on him pop up recently I've looked at some footage on him this dude is fast and I mean really really fast. But he's also a really good returner and a very good receiver. He could be a legitimate deep threat. That is the good. The bad is that he is 5 foot 8 163 pounds. I don't know if the guy like that makes the roster but at the same time there are guys have similar build in the NFL

I would be surprised to see Mike Munchak leave and I'm not complaining. Apparently Mike Tomlin not only wants to replace the coaches he already fired but he wants to add a coach. It's clear you've not done making changes the question becomes is he going to fire Keith Butler? I would hope that the answer is yes but sadly I'm starting to think the answer is no and I don't believe our defense improved at all unless but Butler is fired

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I would be surprised to see Mike Munchak leave and I'm not complaining. Apparently Mike Tomlin not only wants to replace the coaches he already fired but he wants to add a coach. It's clear you've not done making changes the question becomes is he going to fire Keith Butler? I would hope that the answer is yes but sadly I'm starting to think the answer is no and I don't believe our defense improved at all unless but Butler is fired

Also said he isn't opposed to adding assistant head coaches.  I think MM might be in like for that type of title.  

12 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I honestly think getting rid of Saxon is much simpler than that.

In fact I have two theories and I'm not sure which one is going to end up being true. The first theory is that Mike Tomlin has started the changes to the staff was simply not renewing the contract of guys who have one that is expiring before he makes the major change at defensive coordinator.

My second theory is that Mike Tomlin made at the two changes that he did so that he had Fall Guys that way when he doesn't fire Keith Butler he can make the claim that he made changes to the coaching staff that he believed we're responsible for their failures

My temperature is not to trash Mike Tomlin but I have a bad feeling that what's really going on here could be the latter

exactly, why would tomlin fire butler?

it has been reported numerous times, and tomlin himself admitted, to being more involved and running the defense, meetings etc.

so when the defense continues to do what it  has been doing, tomlin has a fall guy to blame when the temperature really gets turned up on him

right now he has some people fooled into thinking these couple little coach changes are all that needed.............oh, and other than that, its a talent issue

tomlin isnt a good HC, but he is smart on how to protect himself as long as he can