2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Just now, Steelers22 said:

I hate how inflexible they are with getting talent outside of the organization.  They can so easily replace his production for half the price

im not a fan of overspending in FA like some teams do, but at some point you have to go for it when the time is right. the steeler way is not the only way. as a matter of fact, the steeler way isnt working like it should with todays players, FA and rules

1 hour ago, Steelers22 said:

I hate how inflexible they are with getting talent outside of the organization.  They can so easily replace his production for half the price

At least it seems they’re not going to give him stupid $$$ on a long term deal.

I think they’re going to zero in on a defensive position like last year with S when they totally overhauled it with a multiple draft picks, signing Burnett and switching Davis.

Not sure it’s ILB or the secondary but overall it’s just a hunch.

This is just what I hate about this team.  Colbert had a golden chance to set everything right, talk about how the team is more important that everything, we won't tolerate players thinking otherwise.

But no, Colbert goes full....well I don't like the word, but if you ever seen Tropic Thunder.  Makes it out how important Ben is, puts Ben over the team, calls all the players his kids.  

So while ya'll stay over there and argue about Tomlin, I'm going to sit here and keep being right about the issues with this team.  And that Colbert is the real root of the problem.  He's enabling Ben to effectively run the team.  He just said Ben is more important than any player, any coach, heck even the team.  Ya'll so busy looking at the visible head, you paid no attention to the man behind the curtain.  The man who has no clue what he's doing.  The man who got lucky that Ben fell into his lap.  The man, who now writers are even agreeing, has no clue what to do with rules changes because he has the same scouts that were there in the late 90's.

Seriously how stupid do you have to be to say this:

"I honestly believe that can be a burden on him more often than he may like to admit, because he has to ... he's got 52 kids under him quite honestly," Colbert said.

"I want them to step up and say, 'Hey Ben, what do I have to do? Can I do this better? What do we have to do to win a Super Bowl?" he added. "I think that once you win it, you've got 53 guys who can say what it took. Right now, he's the only one, so I have no problem with him. He can call me out and that's fine. What he does, I totally respect because I see him too many times win games for us and come through in situations."

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

This is just what I hate about this team.  Colbert had a golden chance to set everything right, talk about how the team is more important that everything, we won't tolerate players thinking otherwise.

But no, Colbert goes full....well I don't like the word, but if you ever seen Tropic Thunder.  Makes it out how important Ben is, puts Ben over the team, calls all the players his kids.  

So while ya'll stay over there and argue about Tomlin, I'm going to sit here and keep being right about the issues with this team.  And that Colbert is the real root of the problem.  He's enabling Ben to effectively run the team.  He just said Ben is more important than any player, any coach, heck even the team.  Ya'll so busy looking at the visible head, you paid no attention to the man behind the curtain.  The man who has no clue what he's doing.  The man who got lucky that Ben fell into his lap.  The man, who now writers are even agreeing, has no clue what to do with rules changes because he has the same scouts that were there in the late 90's.

Yeah I'm still disappointed at Brown walking out on practices and that he's probably not gonna be on the team anymore, but I said when that all went down that I think Ben (and organization tendencies to always immediately side with the QB on anything) were a big part of the problem and yeah that Colbert quote really makes me lose a lot of respect for this organization.

1 minute ago, Bobikus said:

Yeah I'm still disappointed at Brown walking out on practices and that he's probably not gonna be on the team anymore, but I said when that all went down that I think Ben (and organization tendencies to always immediately side with the QB on anything) were a big part of the problem and yeah that Colbert quote really makes me lose a lot of respect for this organization.

Yup.  That quote made me lose all faith in this team to make the right call.  Maybe the Steelers died with Dan.

Outside of using a really stupid analogy I fail to see why this makes you right on being the root of the problem? 

What did he say that’s wrong? Is Ben not the one with the most experience? Is he not the (only) one that has 2 super bowl rings and been to a third? Is he not the true constant in team success? 

I, personally, don’t believe ben is a good leader, but that’s not the point here  

Guys SHOULD view him as the leader.  Guys SHOULD go to him for advice. Guys SHOULD be asking him how they all get to the next level. They SHOULD be asking about his experience and how his teams pushed past adversity to get to the biggest game three different times. 

Maybe he is playcating to his QB a little too much, sure. But we are also talking about the person who threw a hissy fit and threatened to retire if they didn’t get rid of the OC he didn’t like. Then after drafting another QB the year after the retirement talk, he throws another hissy fit because he wants to play another 4-5. Why would we think when asked “is Ben the leader” the answer should have been - no one is above the team? 

Ben is a baby. Ben likes things his way. Ben likes to be talked about. But Ben is also our best shot at a super bowl still. 

Im sure waking up today, Colbert wishes he would have used other words...but what about his message is flat out wrong? Guys like JuJu and Washington should be calling Ben to pick his brain and figure out what week works best to go work out together in the summer. Ben SHOULD be calling out people, setting the tone, and letting others know when they are wrong....he just shouldn’t be doing it on the radio. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Outside of using a really stupid analogy I fail to see why this makes you right on being the root of the problem? 

What did he say that’s wrong? Is Ben not the one with the most experience? Is he not the (only) one that has 2 super bowl rings and been to a third? Is he not the true constant in team success? 

I, personally, don’t believe ben is a good leader, but that’s not the point here  

Guys SHOULD view him as the leader.  Guys SHOULD go to him for advice. Guys SHOULD be asking him how they all get to the next level. They SHOULD be asking about his experience and how his teams pushed past adversity to get to the biggest game three different times. 

Maybe he is playcating to his QB a little too much, sure. But we are also talking about the person who threw a hissy fit and threatened to retire if they didn’t get rid of the OC he didn’t like. Then after drafting another QB the year after the retirement talk, he throws another hissy fit because he wants to play another 4-5. Why would we think when asked “is Ben the leader” the answer should have been - no one is above the team? 

Ben is a baby. Ben likes things his way. Ben likes to be talked about. But Ben is also our best shot at a super bowl still. 

Im sure waking up today, Colbert wishes he would have used other words...but what about his message is flat out wrong? Guys like JuJu and Washington should be calling Ben to pick his brain and figure out what week works best to go work out together in the summer. Ben SHOULD be calling out people, setting the tone, and letting others know when they are wrong....he just shouldn’t be doing it on the radio. 

exactly...

i will add  that ben might have been  right about haley. he did put up better numbers without him, albeit one year

on a side note, seriously, how many 'leader' qbs are in the league?

its fun to throw that term out there but how many are there actually?

Edit: I removed the link since it is to a paid section

All the reasons why Bell is not going to get paid like he thinks.  All have been hashed over on this site and other.

The reality is that his production on a per-play basis is nowhere near as remarkable as the totals.

Bell ranked 44th in the league in his rookie season in my good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric that measures a back's production on rushing plays where he receives quality run blocking. He improved greatly upon his 5.8-yard GBYPA that season by ranking 15th in GBYPA in 2014 (8.8) and fourth in 2015 (9.5), but his production fell off greatly in 2016 (7.5, ranked tied for 31st) and faltered even more in 2017 (6.9, ranked tied for 35th). That last GBYPA mark might be the most troubling, as James Conner was able to top it by more than half of a yard last season (7.6).

Bell also has touted himself in the past as being the Steelers' No. 2 receiver behind Antonio Brown, which was true from a reception volume perspective. His per-play pass-catching numbers, however, don't stand out. In his five pro seasons, Bell ranked ninth among running backs in yards per reception (8.5), 25th in drop percentage (5.1 percent), 22nd in receptions per route run (17.0 percent), 34th in targets per route run (21.3 percent) and tied for 11th in reception percentage (80.0).

The Steelers found Bell's pass-catching totals to be replicable, as their running backs last season posted equal or better numbers in yards per reception (8.6), targets per route run (22.4 percent), receptions per route run (17.9 percent) and reception percentage (80.0) on 110 targets, which was higher than Bell's per-season target average of 78 percent.

In short, an inordinate amount of Bell's value stems from his ability to post high volumes of carries and receptions. That skill set does have considerable usefulness, but NFL history shows that it isn't a trait that ages well.

Sure, skipping the 2018 season helped save some tread on the tires, but Bell had 406 touches in 2017 and has more than 1,500 on his career. Per Pro Football Reference, 27 total players have tallied 400-plus touches in a season. Of those players, only nine posted 400-plus touches in more than one season, and just six achieved this mark in their age-27 season or later. Bell turned 27 on Feb. 18.

It can be argued that teams aren't going to sign Bell with the expectation that he will tally more seasons of 400-plus touches. But those clubs should be aware that on average, these 27 backs averaged only 3.3 more seasons with as many as 250 or more touches in their careers following their first 400-touch season. What's worse, these backs on average posted their last season of 250 or more touches in their age-29 campaign. The clock is ticking for the three-time Pro Bowler.

When all of that is added to the fact that Bell has played in only 62 of 80 possible NFL games and had three of his five pro seasons end with an injury, it is clear why the Steelers were reportedly willing to guarantee only $17 million of a five-year, $70 million offer they made to Bell. Pittsburgh was hedging its salary-cap bet against the historical trends that strongly suggest Bell will be an impact player for maybe only two or three more years, at the most.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2