2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't think he's viewed as a "special" prospect the way fans do. 

There's no way 17.5 sacks in the SEC can be described as anything but impressive, but his tape/playing style suggests he's more likely to be a better version of Whitney Mercilus than he is to be a dominant pass rusher. A lot of his "wins" in college were do to him simply being either more athletic or in better position than his opponent, but you can't bank on that in the NFL. He has very good qualities, but not the kind of first step, burst, or pass rush repertoire you see in a top 3 pick. 

Personally I'd be totally OK with Allen at 3. I think Leonard Williams is being severely underrated, and in large part is because he hasn't had help since Sheldon left. Now that we've improved the scheme, added Mosley, and kept our DL intact, I feel adding Allen would be the "final piece" so to speak. That said, I understand why the team would prefer Williams and Oliver... not only are they younger but their potential is simply that much higher. Unfortunately we will likely have to kick the can down the road again, and either trade for an edge rusher pre-season or aim to land one in next years free agency. 

That's actually a part I've been paying attention to. You look at who Macc has drafted in Round 1 and its always been a young player. Could be coincidence... but he clearly likes the extra year or 2 age wise to develop a guy. Allen (who I think is 100% what we need and I think is great) is a senior, when most the others are juniors but its weird. For example Allen is only 4 months older than both Q and Oliver. So its pretty much a non factor.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's actually a part I've been paying attention to. You look at who Macc has drafted in Round 1 and its always been a young player. Could be coincidence... but he clearly likes the extra year or 2 age wise to develop a guy. Allen (who I think is 100% what we need and I think is great) is a senior, when most the others are juniors but its weird. For example Allen is only 4 months older than both Q and Oliver. So its pretty much a non factor.

He's a year and a half older than both. Allen born 5/21/96. Oliver 12/12/97 and Q 12/21/97.

I have to say, whoever ends up with Haskins is going to be happy. I think he’s being overlooked for whatever reason. His feet need coaching. But that’s it. The guy can pick you apart from the pocket. Now if you want a dual threat, he’s not the guy.

I’m still not buying the idea he drops out of the top 5.

Anyways, if the Jets stay at #3, we are going Edge. We tried to get Barr, we tried to get Preston Smith, and we tried to trade for Frank Clark. Macc has been swinging hard for an edge. Macc will go Bosa or Allen at #3.  

We didn’t go after guys like Malik Jackson, Suh, Sheldon Richardson, etc. We just sign Anderson and called a day at iDL.

Edited by SDotNova

Just the fact that we signed (or nearly signed) Anthony Barr gives me great hope that we will select Josh Allen at #3. 

I’m hoping like most that we will draft Nick Bosa (if available) or make that great trade that would set us up real good for the future. However if left with a choice between Allen, Oliver and Williams then we have to get Josh Allen.

Both Oliver and Williams are studs but so is Allen and we’ve gone down the inside d-lineman position four times since 2010. Please for the love of god give us a pass rushing edge! 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 1

Just now, xenajets said:

Just the fact that we signed (or nearly signed) Anthony Barr gives me great hope that we will select Josh Allen at #3. 

I’m hoping like most that we will draft Nick Bosa (if available) or make that great trade that would set us up real good for the future. However if left with a choice between Allen, Oliver and Williams then we have to get Josh Allen.

Both Oliver and Williams are studs but so is Allen and we’ve gone down the inside d-lineman position four times since 2010. Please for the love of god give us a pass rushing edge! 

We've been gifted some good players. That's why at this stage I think some how Bosa falls to us.

Daniel Jeremiah (Jere) has Hockerson ahead of Oliver at 4.  umm.  Is that acceptable to think about Hockerson for Jets?  Since he is an offensive prospect.

Raiders' surprise could be Devin Bush Jr.  Gruden would love to have a similar defense as his time in Tampa.  Bush fits right there and he is top 10 prospect.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Just in case if DJ Metcalf actually was available after tonight would you trade next year's 1st and 3rd round pick to get Metcalf?  Maybe packing Robby Anderson or Darron Lee in instead of 3rder.

Absolutely not. That 2020 first round pick will be a LT hopefully! 

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Daniel Jeremiah (Jere) has Hockerson ahead of Oliver at 4.  umm.  Is that acceptable to think about Hockerson for Jets?  Since he is an offensive prospect.

Raiders' surprise could be Devin Bush Jr.  Gruden would love to have a similar defense as his time in Tampa.  Bush fits right there and he is top 10 prospect.

No. If we took a TE in the 1st and drive all the way to 1 Jets drive and lay the smack down on Macc/Gase and co.