The Gun Thread

fotballer

Just now, eagles101 said:

I have an ammo box that i have all my ammo in. .22 in boxes and the shotgun slugs organized out of boxes. I also dont shoot at ranges so it's easy for me to set up when i shoot

Yeah, I'm in Chicago, so I have to pack stuff into my range bag and jump on the bus (lol) to head out of the city to my range, so I can't bring a whole ammo can in my car or anything.

Just got my Jericho 941 in 9mm last week, already thinking about the next firearm to purchase.  A 22 would be nice, probably a Ruger Mk4 is what I'm looking at, but looking for thoughts.  Inexperienced shooter here, so I don't want to go too high in caliber, as I want to work on my accuracy, but thinking about finding something to pick up 3-4 months from now.  

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Just got my Jericho 941 in 9mm last week, already thinking about the next firearm to purchase.  A 22 would be nice, probably a Ruger Mk4 is what I'm looking at, but looking for thoughts.  Inexperienced shooter here, so I don't want to go too high in caliber, as I want to work on my accuracy, but thinking about finding something to pick up 3-4 months from now.  

What's the purpose of the gun? Fun, becoming a better shooter?

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

If you want experience in rifles i suggest getting a .22 in the same type as the higher caliber you want. For example if you want a 30-06 bolt action get a .22 bolt action to start. Or just go higher caliber. The kick in rifles are manageable if you stay away from elephant guns. 

14 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

As with all of them that I will own, presumably, it would be mostly fun, but I want to be good at it, so both, really.

I have a bolt action .22 for my boys to shoot, but I've never found .22's to be terribly helpful in making you a better shooter or much fun.

I'd rather shoot centerfire rounds and become competent on that platform, ymmv.

Sticking with 9mm means buying a limited number of calibers too, which is nice. That's why I've sold my 40's, .357's, 12 gauge, etc.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have a bolt action .22 for my boys to shoot, but I've never found .22's to be terribly helpful in making you a better shooter or much fun.

I'd rather shoot centerfire rounds and become competent on that platform, ymmv.

Sticking with 9mm means buying a limited number of calibers too, which is nice. That's why I've sold my 40's, .357's, 12 gauge, etc.

Yeah, but if I just stick with 9mm and .22 and play around with those for a while I'm not going into an excessively high number of different calibers I'm having to replenish, and .22lr is dirt cheap so thats not too big of a deal anyway.   If I go with some sort of rifle, the ruger 10/22 looks like a lot of fun, though.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:00 PM, TankWilliams said:

Just got my Jericho 941 yesterday!  Hoping to shoot it tomorrow at the range, but the ear protection I ordered ended up getting canceled on my for some reason.  Gonna give my range a call after work and see if they sell/rent some there, otherwise I'm gonna have to run to dicks or something.

Which range do you plan on going to?  Every range I've ever gone to has eyes and ears to use.  Usually free.

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Which range do you plan on going to?  Every range I've ever gone to has eyes and ears to use.  Usually free.

I went to shore galleries in lincolnwood, their shop had everything I needed, though I'd have had to pay 2 bucks to get the little earplugs if I didn't buy something real, ended up just buying some ears from them.  

Edited by TankWilliams

36 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Yeah, but if I just stick with 9mm and .22 and play around with those for a while I'm not going into an excessively high number of different calibers I'm having to replenish, and .22lr is dirt cheap so thats not too big of a deal anyway.   If I go with some sort of rifle, the ruger 10/22 looks like a lot of fun, though.

The ruger 10/22 is a good gun. its especially nice to be able to go through 100 rounds for 5 dollars.