The Gun Thread

fotballer

Picked up a 10/22 takedown, looking forward to some cheap plinking.  Gonna pick up a few bx25 mags and go to town at the range.

Also, I'm interested in milsurp collecting but afraid I missed out on the "Golden Era" of milsurp since I'm late to the game.  Any recommendations? The Swedish m96 would be my top choice personally right now. 

6 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Picked up a 10/22 takedown, looking forward to some cheap plinking.  Gonna pick up a few bx25 mags and go to town at the range.

Also, I'm interested in milsurp collecting but afraid I missed out on the "Golden Era" of milsurp since I'm late to the game.  Any recommendations? The Swedish m96 would be my top choice personally right now. 

You missed out price wise, but they're all still out there.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You missed out price wise, but they're all still out there.

Thats my concern.  I know I can get them, but damn, I wish I hadn't missed out on them running under 200 bucks all the time.  Probably better for my wallet this way, it'll limit me to only ones that I realllllly like.

9 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Thats my concern.  I know I can get them, but damn, I wish I hadn't missed out on them running under 200 bucks all the time.  Probably better for my wallet this way, it'll limit me to only ones that I realllllly like.

No need to be concerned, that ship has sailed.

Keep an eye on Armslist, forums, etc., you may be able to find a deal here and there. 

It's definitely a buyers market right now.

I think I'm getting rid of my VBob today I believe.  A fella in VA offered to trade his Guardian in 9mm and I'm not one to trade but I prefer 9mm to 45 ACP.

Plus it's an aluminum framed commander as opposed to stainless so it's about half a pound lighter which should make carrying it much more enjoyable.

Found a reasonably priced Swedish m96 on gunbroker, though I'm kinda regretting it because images were a little limited in scope.  Too much of an impulse purchase.  I'll let you know if I feel like I made a bad decision when i get it, though its too high of a caliber to use at my local indoor range, so it'll only be a "show piece" and a shooter when I'm visiting family out in the country.

44 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

Genuine question.  

Why do you own guns?

What enjoyment, if any, do you take from firing weapons? 

I have guns because I used to hunt.

I also enjoyed going up to the range with my 10/22 or shotgun and blasting a box of clay pidgeons or cardboard targets, if nothing was in season. It's just like any hobby really, everyone is going to get something different out of it. For me it was mostly an excuse to get up in the woods.

If you're going to the range a few times a week like I used to, seeing your accuracy improve is really rewarding, especially when you go from not being able to shoot a clay out of the air to it being an oddity when you miss.

My buddy and I would set up a dozen or so golfballs about 100 yards out and take turns shooting at them with iron sights. We'd keep score, each shot you took added 1 point to your score. You got points deducted for hitting a golf ball, but I don't remember how many. Whoever had the least points when all the golf balls were shot up won. Kept us busy for dozens and dozens of trips up there.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I have guns because I used to hunt.

I also enjoyed going up to the range with my 10/22 or shotgun and blasting a box of clay pidgeons or cardboard targets, if nothing was in season. It's just like any hobby really, everyone is going to get something different out of it. For me it was mostly an excuse to get up in the woods.

If you're going to the range a few times a week like I used to, seeing your accuracy improve is really rewarding, especially when you go from not being able to shoot a clay out of the air to it being an oddity when you miss.

My buddy and I would set up a dozen or so golfballs about 100 yards out and take turns shooting at them with iron sights. We'd keep score, each shot you took added 1 point to your score. You got points deducted for hitting a golf ball, but I don't remember how many. Whoever had the least points when all the golf balls were shot up won. Kept us busy for dozens and dozens of trips up there.

This seems like a sensible pursuit in a controlled environment etc.

With this in mind, do you need automatic weapons to go target shooting or hunting?  Where might an AR-15 with a bump fire stock come in useful?

27 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

With this in mind, do you need automatic weapons to go target shooting or hunting?  Where might an AR-15 with a bump fire stock come in useful?

First of all, automatic weapons are both impractical and incredibly hard to get as it is.  They are incredibly expensive and the ATF red tape is apparently a nightmare.

Never used bumpfire myself, but from what i've seen it looks like nothing more than a range toy.  The problem is its impossible to restrict because you literally can do it with a rubber band, or your finger and belt loop.  The law they are trying to pass is so vague and generic it basically cant be enforced unless every semi-automatic weapon where the rate of fire was affected by how fast you pull the trigger is banned.  Very few people that I have seen post online about bumpfire stocks even cares about their existence, it seems like something that people buy, use a couple of times and say "neat" and then get fed up with throwing so much money away in ammunition cost from dumping it all so fast.  Not to mention your accuracy goes down the tubes.

Also, not to get nitpicky, but why do you specifically refer to an ar-15?  People get so up in arms about them because they are these scary looking assault rifles but when you boil it down they are not much different than a semi-automatic hunting rifle.  They just look like they are from the military, so they are more scary to people who don't handle firearms.

Lastly, have you ever shot a gun before?  I'd highly encourage you to try it and have an open mind about it.

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

Do you need a 460 horsepower mustang to enjoy a drive or commute to work? Where might 350ft-lbs of torque come in useful driving on the street?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Never used bumpfire myself, but from what i've seen it looks like nothing more than a range toy.  The problem is its impossible to restrict because you literally can do it with a rubber band, or your finger and belt loop

We used the belt loop method all the time up at the range when were were just screwing around.

It’s really fun to empty a 25 round clip of .22LR rounds in about a second.... but you’re firing from the hip, it’s dreadfully inaccurate. Bumpstocks allow you to do that when firing from the shoulder.

Not sure what the rubber band method is, but again I doubt it’s nearly as effective as a real bumpstock.

I agree with all your other points...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

No I don’t need those weapons to go target shooting or hunting. But that’s about all I will say on this forum.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, cddolphin said:
3 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

Do you need a 460 horsepower mustang to enjoy a drive or commute to work? Where might 350ft-lbs of torque come in useful driving on the street?

Discussion like this will get this thread locked.