LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

Welker has also been Assistant Special Teams Coach with Houston. One would assume it would be one or the other since that represents the proverbial promotion.

From NFL.com:

“…Wes Welker is reuniting with Bill O’Brien, but this time as a member of his staff. The Texans announced that Welker was hired as an offensive/special teams assistant coach...”

34 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

Welker has also been Assistant Special Teams Coach with Houston. One would assume it would be one or the other since that represents the proverbial promotion.

From NFL.com:

“…Wes Welker is reuniting with Bill O’Brien, but this time as a member of his staff. The Texans announced that Welker was hired as an offensive/special teams assistant coach...”

Eh, I think he helped out with the WRs from what I read 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Eh, I think he helped out with the WRs from what I read 

Perhaps that was his emphasis, and he may have interviewed for WR Coach in Green Bay. But we don’t know at this point, and the text I quoted was an excerpt from NFL.com website, which I’d consider a reliable source:

From NFL.com:

Take what you like and leave the rest. I’m just citing what the article stated when Houston hired him.

I'm trying to work out what exactly the 49ers are interviewing him for. Their WR coach, QB coach, ST coordinator posts are all filled.

The Packers on the other hand still need a WR coach and ST coordinator.

Anyway colour me skeptical that Welker is genuinely interested in coming to Green Bay. He is a millionaire and he doesn't need to have a life of going from place to place like many coaches do. He can afford to be picky and I would be amazed if Green Bay is a place that he and his former supermodel wife would like to uproot and move his family to. He owns a horse that is trained by a guy who lives in California. He also has the Wes Welker Foundation based in his hometown of Oklahoma City. He has close ties to Texas too. Its either 49ers or Houston for him imo.

I find it very interesting that LaFleur and Shanahan - two coaches with similar offensive philosophies, are both interested in Welker. Must be mutual friends? nothing about his playing career suggests that he is familar with their offensive systems.

This said it happened last week so it’s been awhile

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/28/super-bowl-todd-gurley-rams-alex-smith-redskins-demarcus-lawrence-cowboys-roger-goodell

“Texans offensive assistant/ex-Patriots receiver Wes Welker is on the circuit—he interviewed for a job with Green Bay last week and San Francisco on Monday. The Niners are restructuring a bit after the departure of passing-game coordinator Rich Scangarello to Denver.”

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

This said it happened last week so it’s been awhile

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/28/super-bowl-todd-gurley-rams-alex-smith-redskins-demarcus-lawrence-cowboys-roger-goodell

“Texans offensive assistant/ex-Patriots receiver Wes Welker is on the circuit—he interviewed for a job with Green Bay last week and San Francisco on Monday. The Niners are restructuring a bit after the departure of passing-game coordinator Rich Scangarello to Denver.”

That is not even right. He was a QB coach and he has been replaced by Shane Day from Miami Dolphins. No restructuring as far as I can tell.

That's great news for us. Now it's basically between us and the Bengals for Rizzi. If we don't get Rizzi then we will get Coombes. :D Our patience will be rewarded.

Also with Karl Dorrell going to Miami that rules him out of the running but that was to be expected., had we hired him we would've found out by now. The fact we interviewed Welker proves that we're still looking.

Finally:

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

That's great news for us. Now it's basically between us and the Bengals for Rizzi. If we don't get Rizzi then we will get Coombes. :D Our patience will be rewarded.

Also with Karl Dorrell going to Miami that rules him out of the running but that was to be expected., had we hired him we would've found out by now. The fact we interviewed Welker proves that we're still looking.

Finally:

I hope Dorrell to the Miami means Welker to GB just if not just for the entertainment value.

Not gonna lie. I really want Welker. His knowledge of route running, hands, technique. It's exactly what our young WR core needs. The fact he struck up such a close connection with Brady shows he must understand the importance of communication and understanding between QB and WR. Everyone must be on the same page and I can imagine that being a point of emphasis with Welker should he get his hands on our WRs.

The Houston WR group has been pretty good and it would be nice to bring some of that coaching here.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Anyone know how many ST jobs are still open now?

As far as I can tell. Just two. Packers and Bengals.

Rizzi will be in play for both since he interviewed with us and he knows Zac Taylor. He's more likely to get what he wants with the Bengals- an assistant head coach/coordinator title and the pay to go with it. Zac Taylor may want to surround himself with experienced coordinators which puts Rizzi squarely in frame so the marriage between Taylor and Rizzi makes alot of sense.

If I was a betting man I would put money on Brayden Coombes to be our next ST coordinator. Beat writers originally thought we hired him but turns out that it was premature but clearly the interest is there. He's probably holding out hope he will get the Bengals ST gig and the Packers will be his fall back plan.

More on Rizzi, in this excerpt from the Miami Herald, with some meaty comments from the ‘ol Fox himself, Bill Belichick:

According to a source, the Dolphins did not want Rizzi to return as special teams coordinator because Brian Flores wanted to move in a new direction. And Rizzi decided he wasn’t interested in returning because he was rejected in his bid to become the team’s head coach.

Rizzi is in advanced stages of conversations with another team.

Don’t underestimate the Rizzi loss. According to the Dolphins’ website, “since Rizzi was promoted to special teams coordinator in 2011, the Dolphins:

-lead the NFL in punt blocks with 11 and are second with 22 overall blocks,” behind only Oakland’s 23.

-Under Rizzi, the Dolphins were one of only two NFL teams in 2018 with both a punt return and a kickoff return for touchdowns.

-The Dolphins had four successful onside kicks in 2017, believed to be the most in NFL history.

-The Dolphins finished in the top half of Rick Gosselin’s annual Dallas Morning News special teams rankings in each of Rizzi’s first seven seasons running Miami’s special teams.

-The Dolphins largely have deferred to Rizzi on draft decisions involving punters and kickers, and Rizzi made a smart choice by recommending Jason Sanders instead of other more highly touted kickers in last April’s draft. Sanders finished his rookie season 18 of 20 on field goals and 35 of 36 on extra points.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick praised Rizzi’s work with the Dolphins special team units.

“They’re good at everything,” Belichick said of the Dolphins’ special teams before their December game. “Obviously, they lost [Jakeem] Grant but they’ve got [Kenyan] Drake on kickoffs and they’ve used [Kenny] Stills back there. Obviously, he’s an explosive player on punts. They have a good rush scheme — punts and field goals. Even a lot of forces on their punt returns are tough with [Senorise] Perry, [Brandon] Bolden. They do a good job of covering. They play good situational football. Pretty much every week they do a good job.

Perhaps it won’t be Green Bay, but it will be interesting to see where Rizzi lands. Film at 11...

1 hour ago, Chili said:

As far as I can tell. Just two. Packers and Bengals.

Rizzi will be in play for both since he interviewed with us and he knows Zac Taylor. He's more likely to get what he wants with the Bengals- an assistant head coach/coordinator title and the pay to go with it. Zac Taylor may want to surround himself with experienced coordinators which puts Rizzi squarely in frame so the marriage between Taylor and Rizzi makes alot of sense.

If I was a betting man I would put money on Brayden Coombes to be our next ST coordinator. Beat writers originally thought we hired him but turns out that it was premature but clearly the interest is there. He's probably holding out hope he will get the Bengals ST gig and the Packers will be his fall back plan.

CIN is a notoriously cheap organization.  Might be hard for Rizzi to get a sizable contract from them.

Archived