LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

The Packers talked to Giants assistant Tom Quinn about their special teams opening, Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Quinn served as the Giants’ special teams coordinator from 2007-17. Pat Shurmur fired Quinn when he became the team’s head coach a year ago.

But Quinn returned to the Giants when their special teams coach, Thomas McGaughey, was undergoing cancer treatments.

Quinn began his NFL career as the Giants’ assistant special teams coach in 2006 before earning a promotion.

He previously worked in the college ranks for 15 seasons.

According to his wikipedia page:

During his tenure as special teams coach, the Giants have seen mixed results. His first season saw the Giants rank 11th in special teams. Since then, they have ranked near the middle or bottom of the league in each season.

Experienced? - Tick 

Any good? - X

Other than Rizzi he's probably one of the most experienced ST coordinators on the market. He did win a superbowl in which Tynes kicked the game winning field goal in overtime. Otherwise he's been fairly underwhelming with his units since then.

Look at these ranking for the not so mighty, Quinn.

Quinn was the Giants’ coordinator from 2007-17, serving under head coaches Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo.

Statistically, the Giants weren’t very good under Quinn, at least according to Rick Gosselin’s annual special team rankings, which look at all the major special teams numbers. Starting in ’17 and moving backward, Quinn’s units ranked 32nd, 18th, second, 25th, 28th, 10th, 15th, 30th, 26th, 26th and 11th.

5 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

All this waiting looks like we might get one or two from Rams..

Most likely - probably targeting Chris Shula for OLB. Also its possible we're waiting for the superbowl to be over so that Flores and Taylor can get started with their head coach positions. Only then we can find out if we still have a shot at hiring Rizzi. If Rizzi goes to the Bengals then we can get Coombes as the consolation prize.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, cannondale said:

Nagler just said on his daily chat that the reason we didn't hire Rizzi was absolutely not about the money. He said there were a couple of reasons but he couldn't elaborate, so he obviously has some inside info on it.

In Miami Rizzi is the ST coordinator and associate HC.  I suspect he wants a similar position if he moves on and this is why he is still under Miami's employ.

3 hours ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Not too many more parts to announce for the Packers. I think that the only teams that are still hanging for a Special Teams coach are the Packers and Dolphins.

Who are the ST coordinators for LA and NE?  Perhaps we are going to wait and get one of them after the Suberb Owl?

Dougherty questioning the OL hire. Methinks he's a bit upset that we didn't retain Campen. If I had it my way I would've retained Campen. I'm not sure why we moved on from him considering we ran a zbs heavy offence in the early days of MM era. Surely he could've adapted to LaFleur's scheme.

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Dougherty questioning the OL hire. Methinks he's a bit upset that we didn't retain Campen. If I had it my way I would've retained Campen. I'm not sure why we moved on from him considering we ran a zbs heavy offence in the early days of MM era. Surely he could've adapted to LaFleur's scheme.

Dougherty is generally a critical writer. Which is fine, but it seems like nearly every piece he writes is criticizing instead of just informing readers.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I drink a lot but I swear you were the one arguing with me about the stain of complacency on coaches? Must have my wires crossed.

Archived