LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

1 hour ago, 66fan said:

Maybe his college roommate comes to the Packers too. Wes Welker Houston Texans Offensive assistant/ special teams assistant coach.  Wide Receiver coach or Special Teams coach. Fits the young, aggressive coach model.

I think Welker could prove to be a solid hire as ST coach. Unless they have somebody they really like targeted from one of the Super Bowl teams, going outside the box might wind up being a brilliant idea.

I didn’t care for Welker as a player, mostly because of the Patriot connection, but in my opinion he has a great set of crossover skills and the mindset that would translate well into that phase of the game. I particularly like that he possesses tenacity! I think that toughness would a  real asset after Zook’s milquetoast efforts and rah-rah approach to "coaching.”

44 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

I think Welker could prove to be a solid hire as ST coach. Unless they have somebody they really like targeted from one of the Super Bowl teams, going outside the box might wind up being a brilliant idea.

I didn’t care for Welker as a player, mostly because of the Patriot connection, but in my opinion he has a great set of crossover skills and the mindset that would translate well into that phase of the game. I particularly like that he possesses tenacity! I think that toughness would a  real asset after Zook’s milquetoast efforts and rah-rah approach to "coaching.”

oh my gosh the variety of emphasis tools!

It's interesting that Pettine managed to land two coaches with lateral moves. Usually that only happens when a coach is out of contract but i'm under the impression that they were not. Their teams simply allowed them to seek out other jobs. Good for us. Shame LaFleur did not have the same luck on the offensive side of the ball.

Mike Smith was on the list of names I made a short while back which has links with Pettine. The majority of those names were mainly DL coaches and many of them already committed to various HC/coordinator/coaching gigs. I noted this might give Pettine a hard time bringing in people he knows to his coaching staff so he has done well getting one that coached OLBs as we really needed one. I like the fact he was an assistant DL coach before moving to OLB coach - that will give him two perspectives in terms of pass rush on the ground and standing up. He helped coach Dontari Poe and Chris Jones on the DL and then coached Houston and Ford at OLB. He also coached Bart Scott and David Harris at the Jets. Not a bad resume to have. Between Olivadotti and Smith i'm feeling optimistic for improved LB play next season. They feel like solid hires.

I still think he needs to sort out the defensive back situation. Regardless of titles whether it is Safety, CB, Secondary, DB, Pass game coordinator etc... NFL teams usually employ 2 guys to coach that particular area of the team. It sounds like we will be keeping Jason Simmons but I fully expect us to bring in one more guy to complete the defensive coaching staff. If there is a guy Pettine has a connection with he could bring in Aaron Glenn with a lateral move from the Saints. There's also Marquand Manuel who curiously is still available despite the fact he was a defensive coordinator for the last two seasons with the Falcons but he would be a LaFleur hire and not a Pettine hire.

A guy I noted as a potential offensive coordinator candidate, Wes Phillips, a TE coach for the Redskins is actually out of contract. I fully expect him to replace Zac Taylor at the Rams. It would make sense as his Dad is the Rams defensive coordinator and McVay worked with him before at the Redskins. Otherwise he would be looking at a lateral move elsewhere. I wonder if LaFleur looked at him as a potential TE coach before hiring the inexperienced Outten. Interestingly the guy we let go Angelichio has just been hired as the new Redskins TE coach.

Dan Campbell, a head coaching candidate who we interviewed is out of contract too. He was probably looking for a coordinator job and the Bengals looked to be a good candidate as he used to work with Zac Taylor at Miami but instead that position has been filled by Brian Callahan. Interestingly he is also a TE coach so he could've easily have been an option for us here but he doesn't know the offence LaFleur wants to run and he probably would've demanded the assistant head coach in his job title as well which may have been another sticking point for LaFleur. Most likely he will simply return to the Saints to continue as an assistant head coach / TE coach. He had some really bad luck in this year head coach and coordinator carousel, he really needed a coordinator gig to get over the hump and put him on the path to becoming head coach one day. He failed to become the chargers coordinator in 2016 and ended up with the Saints. The following year he interviewed for the Vikings coordinator gig but didn't get that. The Colts interviewed him for the head coaching job last year- didn't get that either. This year he interviewed with us and apparently also Arizona and Cleveland - Failed again. I wonder if he was in the mix for the Bengals coordinator job? The common knock on him is apparently he lacks the smarts for the Xs and O's side of the game which would definitely explain why he keeps failing at his job interviews.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If the Chiefs are letting people out of deals in the defensive side of the ball because of their new DC, wonder if we could get Al Harris to coach here?

Not a bad shout but I would think highly unlikely simply because LaFleur and Pettine do not know him.

I wonder if the change at DC will cause Emmitt Thomas to finally retire and it results in promoting Al Harris? The guy is freaking 75 years old and the time might be right for Reid to make the change.

6 minutes ago, Chili said:

Not a bad shout but I would think highly unlikely simply because LaFleur and Pettine do not know him.

I wonder if the change at DC will cause Emmitt Thomas to finally retire and it results in promoting Al Harris? The guy is freaking 75 years old and the time might be right for Reid to make the change.

Well I personally hate the "I have to know him" stipulation among coaching hires. You get an opportunity to hire someone who's regarded as a good coach you should explore it regardless.

Was so sick of Mac and the best friends brigade he had here for his staff.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Well I personally hate the "I have to know him" stipulation among coaching hires. You get an opportunity to hire someone who's regarded as a good coach you should explore it regardless.

Was so sick of Mac and the best friends brigade he had here for his staff.

Yup. And I'm seeing the same thing happening here with the buddy-buddy system. Hopefully it works out, but I don't particularly care for it. 

4 hours ago, Slinky said:

Yup. And I'm seeing the same thing happening here with the buddy-buddy system. Hopefully it works out, but I don't particularly care for it. 

I think it is more like I know I can work with this one because I have in the past. Unlike last year what Pettine had to put up with is a bunch of coaches that he couldn't work with.

5 hours ago, Slinky said:

LaFleur had never worked with Hackett before making him his #1 offensive coach.

Archived