LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

Man, I’ve got a bunch of questions about this thing with Rizzi. I DID learn that he was promoted to ‘Assistant Head Coach’ a couple years ago, as well as retaining his ST Coordinator responsibilities. So perhaps his salary requirements reflected that.

-It would quite interesting to know big a gap there was between the Packer offer and what Rizzi wants to get paid.

-I’d like to know how much a top Special Teams Coordinator gets paid in the NFL. By all accounts I’ve seen, his special teams consistently rank toward the top, so it stands to reason he wants to get paid like one of the top guys, especially since he probably got some kind of bump in pay when he took on the role as Assistant HC.

-Maybe Rizzi didn’t really want to come to Green Bay as a ST coordinator. I read someplace he interviewed for the Dolphin HC job. Perhaps he want to stay the course in Miami, as opposed to Green Bay, and maybe pop a head coaching gig in the next year or two. 

-Or maybe he simply prefers sunny, warm, internationally flavored Miami, to Green Bay.

-I’ve had some doubts about Murphy in the past few years, particularly about retaining Thompson for 2 or 3 years past his prime. Also the trickle down that entailed, Dom Capers, Zook, maybe even McCarthy...So I sure hope this doesn’t prove to be another retrospective error.

-We may never know the back story; but I sure hope the Packers didn’t miss out on a top candidate for a couple hundred thousand.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

do you make him the highest paid coordinator in the league?

Yes, if that is what it takes.  Our special teams have been horrid it's unfortunate that management has decided they would rather save a few cents than fix the monstrosity that is our special teams unit.  There is no salary cap for coaches, so there is no good excuse for not hiring the best available if given the opportunity.  Hiring a lesser candidate for no other reason than he is cheap is the attitude of poor management IMO.  Picking from the bottom of the barrel is the reason our ST unit is among the worst in the league (Keeping Zook who at the time was the assistant for the league's worst STs).

Just now, SSG said:

Yes, if that is what it takes.  Our special teams have been horrid it's unfortunate that management has decided they would rather save a few cents than fix the monstrosity that is our special teams unit.  There is no salary cap for coaches, so there is no good excuse for not hiring the best available if given the opportunity.  Hiring a lesser candidate for no other reason than he is cheap is the attitude of poor management IMO.  Picking from the bottom of the barrel is the reason our ST unit is among the worst in the league (Keeping Zook who at the time was the assistant for the league's worst STs).

So you have no limit as to what you would pay him?

Archived