2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

I sat with Tom Brady at his locker for seven minutes after the Patriots’ 37-31 AFC Championship Game victory, and I can tell you he was dazed. Slightly dazed. “We’ll remember this one forever,” Brady said, equal parts incredulous and grateful as he sat on a wooden stool stamped with the Chiefs logo. “It’s one of the great wins in franchise history.”

Three really crazy things happened in this game that he was trying to process, still, about 50 minutes after his ninth championship game victory:

• Brady converted three third-and-10 passes on the only drive of overtime: to Julian Edelman, Edelman again and Rob Gronkowski.

• The pass play to Gronkowski, which gave the Patriots a first down at the Chiefs’ 15, was not in the game plan. New England has run the Gronk slant before, but hadn’t planned to run it here, and the only play they called that wasn’t planned turned out quite possibly to be the biggest play of their day. As the 40-second play clock wound down, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels called the play they hadn’t practiced during the week because the coaches saw a coverage deficiency by Kansas City safety Eric Berry on Gronkowski.

• “We just put in eight new plays in the game plan this morning,” Brady told me. At the team hotel, the Westin Crown Center in Kansas City, the offensive players were greeted at the 11 a.m. meeting with the news that eight new plays were being installed for the game. That happens, but not every week, and not eight plays’ worth. They walked through the plays in a hotel ballroom, then ran four or five of them during the game—all for positive yards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/nfl-championship-rams-saints-patriots-chiefs-fmia-peter-king/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

• “We just put in eight new plays in the game plan this morning,” Brady told me. At the team hotel, the Westin Crown Center in Kansas City, the offensive players were greeted at the 11 a.m. meeting with the news that eight new plays were being installed for the game. That happens, but not every week, and not eight plays’ worth. They walked through the plays in a hotel ballroom, then ran four or five of them during the game—all for positive yards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/21/nfl-championship-rams-saints-patriots-chiefs-fmia-peter-king/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

I think the Patriots have some of their most productive practice sessions in hotel ballrooms. ^_^  Belichick and his staff come up with so many new ideas and situations to explore that a simple practice field can't contain them.

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I think the Patriots have some of their most productive practice sessions in hotel ballrooms. ^_^  Belichick and his staff come up with so many new ideas and situations to explore that a simple practice field can't contain them.

incredible poise among all of them. truly professionals.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But why are you cherry picking which team you remove? Why are you removing Cleveland, the worst team in the league. 

Also, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati have also had the benefit of playing Cleveland twice a year. Replace one of the worst teams with one of the best teams and those teams likely don’t look as impressive either. 

You can replace Cincy/Bal/Pitt too. Doesn’t matter. Cleveland is one bad team. Cincy, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are all generally around .500 or better.  The East is the patriots and three bad teams. Minus the occasional odd year when another is around .500. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Patriots may have played in a poor division, but we’ve seen a lot of teams win poor divisions only to get exposed as “frauds” and quickly bounced from the playoffs. 

The Patriots have been the opposite. Yes, they win their division regularly, but they also get to the playoffs and methodically beat up on every other team. 

The Patriots have a chess master at the helm, and a cold blooded assassin leading the team. They always seem to find a way to beat their opponents. And in a multitude of ways. 

I don’t think being in a tougher division would have mattered. 

That’s all the hypothetical question I asked was getting to. 

I disagree, but to each their own. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Someone from the NFL needs to explain this. How is it acceptable for fans to have a whistle during the game?

I don't believe in karma (and even if it was real I think it would apply in life-and-death situations rather than sports), but it was pretty sweet to see all those Saints fans have to take their illegal whistles and go home.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m worried that the NFL is once again going to overreact to the Saints/Rams game and make the rules even more complicated with some ridiculous changes. 

But I could get behind these changes,

Do you think if it is changed to a 15 yarder that we would see a ton more CB's just tackling receivers if they are beat? Or do you think that worry is overblown?

I think that's what's keeping the NFL from making the change. Picture Tyreek Hill breaking open deep and the CB just tackling him negating a huge play. That wouldn't be good from the NFL point of view as those huge plays are a big reason why a casual fan would tune in 

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

Do you think if it is changed to a 15 yarder that we would see a ton more CB's just tackling receivers if they are beat? Or do you think that worry is overblown?

They could just make egregious DPI one of those fouls where if you get two you are ejected

18 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

They could just make egregious DPI one of those fouls where if you get two you are ejected

Is that putting too much responsibility on the refs to be able to differentiate between regular and egregious? I agree with you, just playing a little devil's advocate.

Archived