Wildcard Playoff Round

Leader

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Only one of them is on the field on 2nd and 3rd downs.  What investment are you willing to make in light of that?

I'm willing to use my second 1st, 2nd rounder or the 3rd rounder if the right guy is available. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm willing to use my second 1st, 2nd rounder or the 3rd rounder if the right guy is available. 

I'll take an every down OT, S, CB, EDGE, RB or even QBOTF with that Saints pick before I take a two down ILB, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'll take an every down OT, S, CB, EDGE, RB or even QBOTF with that Saints pick before I take a two down ILB, thanks.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree he'd be a two down player. Watch Dallas and see how many 3rd downs both Smith and LVE are on the field.  Both guys can run, ergo you keep them on the field, even in nickel/on passing downs. 

You don't see that look as much with us because we dont have the horses. We have Martinez and a bunch of duds at the position. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

First, you're an idiot.

Second, quit quoting me because I'd literally take the opinion of literally anyone other than you.

Third, it's a matter of odds.  You have two chances in this scenario. That puts the percentage of at least tying it at around 70% with two 40% chances.  

https://www.quora.com/What-are-your-chances-if-you-have-a-33-chance-twice

Leave the personal attacks out of this, or you're going to get a warning.  You've been around long enough to know that won't fly.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Leave the personal attacks out of this, or you're going to get a warning.  You've been around long enough to know that won't fly.

Work with me here, man.  You know the history I've had with the guy.  It's a cry for help from me.  I just want the notifications to stop. That's all I want.  I literally just want the notifications to stop from like four people.  I've asked the dude a billion times to stop.  He knows I don't give a damn what he thinks and all I want is the notifications to stop.  That's it.  That's all I want.  Just see if there's a way to get the notifications from people on your ignore list to stop.  That's all I want.  That's it.  I just want them to stop.  

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree he'd be a two down player. Watch Dallas and see how many 3rd downs both Smith and LVE are on the field.  Both guys can run, ergo you keep them on the field, even in nickel/on passing downs. 

You don't see that look as much with us because we dont have the horses. We have Martinez and a bunch of duds at the position. 

Neither of them are on the field on third down nearly as much as you think they are I bet.

@AlexGreen#20, what's that site you use that shows snaps from players?  I gotta win an argument, so only tell me if I'm right.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

No one has said they won simply because of Nelson. Of course that's nonsense. Colts D played outstanding but so did their OL just as it has all year (gave up like 18 sacks). Nelson is a very big part of that success. Saying they won because of Nelson is a dumb argument. But continuing to say that Nelson was a stupid draft pick and is insignificant, simply to promote an agenda against drafting IOL in the 1st round is equally as dumb. 

I'd make the argument that your OL is only as strong as your weakest link.  I would assume that Anthony Castanzo is their weakest OL.  Going back to 2000, the IOL taken in the top 20 of the first round have included Quenton Nelson, Frank Ragnow, Ryan Kelly, Cameron Irving, Zack Martin, Jonathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, Kyle Long, Mike Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Maurkice Pouncey, Shawn Andrews, and Steve Hutchinson.  You've got some really good players, some major busts, and players in between the two.  But let's look who was drafted within 5 picks of those OL.  Casey Hampton (Steve Hutchinson), Vince Wilfork (Shawn Andrews), Demaryius Thomas (Maurkice Pouncey/Mike Iupati), and Xavier Rhodes (Zack Martin).  The whole concept is flawed because you're operating under the assumption that the IOL you're drafting is 100% success rate, when the reality is it's probably closer to 50% than it is 100%.  The success rate really isn't that much lower for another position that you're going to pass on that position in favor of an OL.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

He's another reason why I really think safeties are extremely underrated.  Always have. A long time ago before we picked Clinton-Dix, I made an outpost31 style great big post about how Super Bowl winners always have great play out of their safeties.

Patriots with McCourty, Seahawks, Packers, Steelers with Polamolu, Ravens with Reed... 

Safety is huge in this league, and I don't know why it's such a devalued position.  Having an elite safety who can cover a deep half and make quarterbacks afraid to throw to their side of the field... Huge.

Because we've moved past the era of the "free" and "strong" safety.  At this point, your safeties have to be interchangeable, and there is no longer the premium on the elite "CF type" safeties.  Add on the fact that it's not a position that is first choice, and you're going to get a natural devaluation of the position.  How many times have we seen the mantra of keeping a guy at corner until he proves he can't play there?  There's a premium on corners because there's only a finite number of guys with the movement skills to play the position.  You can get away with being an average athlete at safety, not so much the case at corner.

59 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Good game to watch to witness and appreciate the impact of good ILB play. 4 studs out there in LVE, Smith, Wagner and Wright.

Whose going to impact a game more, a DL/EDGE or an ILB?  The answer is glaringly obvious.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Neither of them are on the field on third down nearly as much as you think they are I bet.

@AlexGreen#20, what's that site you use that shows snaps from players?  I gotta win an argument, so only tell me if I'm right.

@Outpost31  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018-snap-counts.htm

Jaylon Smith played 95% of defensive snaps

LVE played 76% (but from week 4 on, was above ~85% for all but 2 games.  Might have been injured vs WAS and the week 17 game that was probably just rested for playoffs)

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

@Outpost31  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018-snap-counts.htm

Jaylon Smith played 95% of defensive snaps

LVE played 76% (but from week 4 on, was above ~85% for all but 2 games.  Might have been injured vs WAS and the week 17 game that was probably just rested for playoffs)

I told you only respond if I'm right.  And I've seen LVE go off the field tonight a few times already.  Not lying either because I've been watching him.  

Archived