What to do with our linebackers? *Not your bleeding ***, or your fat ****

Kiwibrown

Joe Schobert is a starter in the NFL. He is on a rookie contract. He will obviously be with the team next year and is locked into a starting role.

Christian Kirksey had a down year but he had some excellent moments in 2017 and played 2 great games just before his injury. I think he season was on the upswing until then. I think he is back for sure. I think he may face some competition but ultimately wins a starting job.

Genard Avery is on the rise. His play never faded like many thought he would as a 5th round rookie. He simply got better each week. I think he finds a prominent role next year whether it is a starter or heavily used in a rotation depends on what other linebackers we bring in.

Tanner Vallejo is a keeper. He is going to be back on the Brown roster next season due to his special teams work. He was easily the only bright spot we had on special teams and I would think a better ST coach will get even more out of him. 

That leaves 2 LB spots that we need to fill and preferably at least 1 of those guys would excel in coverage. I think we sign at least 1 guy on a cheap deal in FA and then draft 2 more in the 3rd-5th rounds.

Jamie Collins was a freelancing liability. Even though he looked slower this year he was still easily our most physically talented LB but he was burnt far too often doing his own thing and when that wasn't happening he was halfassing it to the ball and purposely took angles to get behind the ball carrier for the tackle giving up extra yardage instead of squaring him up like and NFL linebacker should. Plain and simply he's got to go.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

IBS?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

I'd recommend Dr. Issa at Southwest General in Berea. He's a pretty good gastro doc.

Any tips? I’m left handed and O- both typically have bowel issues. 

7 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Any tips? I’m left handed and O- both typically have bowel issues. 

Eat Imodium like it's candy. Plugs up the ole poop chute quite nicely.

Take in a lot of fiber.

Don't eat dairy!

If you're going to be intimate with a man (or several), make sure you're slippery enough down there. Try to find Asians. It's like a pinky finger, but smaller.

Related image

15 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Tanner Vallejo is a keeper. He is going to be back on the Brown roster next season due to his special teams work. He was easily the only bright spot we had on special teams and I would think a better ST coach will get even more out of him. 

I was about to tear you to shreds, but then I saw you mentioned him on ST. He was a freaking bum when playing actual defensive snaps, especially in coverage. It's like he forgets there are WR's and TE's on the field. He stares directly at the QB and forgets that WR's are settling right in behind him for easy completions. I don't freaking understand how an NFL player could be so bad at keeping your head on a swivel and "looking for work" in pass coverage. He embarrassed me this year.

I hate special teams and usually avoid watching them, especially our special teams. Our ST units make my eyes bleed and every time I see a flag thrown on a return, it shaves 6 days off of my life.

48 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

I  think  Luke  Kuechly  was well worth the  number nine pick in 2012.  Only player above him I would take is  Andrew  Luck.  Not  Trent Richatdson.

I clicked on the link. Just using underline, well played.

I've said this for 2 years, Christian Kirksey is an amazing leader and vital piece to build culture in the locker room, as well as a below average linebacker when it comes to mental errors in the passing and run game. He missed so many assignments in error last year I was shocked because I never really studied him. He's a boom or bust LB that consistently plays a little above average with really low lows. Given the ascending leadership on this team, we may be able to trade him, preserve the locker room culture, get rid of his contract, and upgrade the position.

Schobert can be upgraded upon but he's a vital intellectual piece to our defense.

Collins actually was more Jekyll than Hyde this year and made some big tackles for loss. With his contract being what it is, we can replace his production/impact.

In a dream draft scenario, I had us selecting Devin White and Shaquille Quarterman as replacements to Kirko and Collins.

With White likely gone before 17 and Quarterman returning to school, I'm not confident in the other LBs in this class to be able to come in and provide winning impact.

In FA, we might sign a Preston Smith (McCloughan pick) and play him as 43 OLB.

Will be interesting to see the direction we choose for the LBs.

Since when did Kirksey suck in coverage ? he’s always done pretty well in that area. But we need to decide who we want to keep btwn Kirksey and Schobert for weakside LB. I’m picking Schobert. Trading Kirksey. Cutting Collins. I’m keep Tanner and Ray Ray Armstrong but only because they was absolute terror on special teams.

1) Now if there’s any indication CJ Mosley won’t be franchise tagged by Baltimore I’m giving that guy whatever he wants and Then I’m drafting Devin White to play SLB and sporting one of the Best LB cores in the NFL 

2) now the more likely scenario is we go grab Devin White to play MLB. Avery at SLB and we sign a couple backups like Kwon Alexander and Shaq Burnett. 

3) we trade for Hassan Reddick SLB Draft Mack Wilson WLB in the 2nd after moving up and keeping Schobert at MLB 

13 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I've said this for 2 years, Christian Kirksey is an amazing leader and vital piece to build culture in the locker room, as well as a below average linebacker when it comes to mental errors in the passing and run game. He missed so many assignments in error last year I was shocked because I never really studied him. He's a boom or bust LB that consistently plays a little above average with really low lows. Given the ascending leadership on this team, we may be able to trade him, preserve the locker room culture, get rid of his contract, and upgrade the position.

Schobert can be upgraded upon but he's a vital intellectual piece to our defense.

Collins actually was more Jekyll than Hyde this year and made some big tackles for loss. With his contract being what it is, we can replace his production/impact.

In a dream draft scenario, I had us selecting Devin White and Shaquille Quarterman as replacements to Kirko and Collins.

With White likely gone before 17 and Quarterman returning to school, I'm not confident in the other LBs in this class to be able to come in and provide winning impact.

In FA, we might sign a Preston Smith (McCloughan pick) and play him as 43 OLB.

Will be interesting to see the direction we choose for the LBs.

Preston Smith ? The 270 DE/OLB from the redskins ? Isn’t he almost thirty and we might as well move Ogbah If were doing that.  

Schoberts like having a coach on the field. Although he can be upgraded athletically he can’t be replace intellectually. 

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

Preston Smith ? The 270 DE/OLB from the redskins ? Isn’t he almost thirty and we might as well move Ogbah If were doing that.  

Schoberts like having a coach on the field. Although he can be upgraded athletically he can’t be replace intellectually. 

1.) I didn't say that I wanted Preston Smith ... I don't want to sign him ... I said we might sign him as in a prediction regarding who we might look at based on our personnel evaluators in-house.

2.) I heard McCloughon say on a podcast episode that "Preston has the length and the movement to play 43 OLB and naturally shows up at 255 to 257."

3.) Preston Smith is 26 and is listed at 265 ... apparently he has to put weight on to maintain the higher weight.

Archived