What to do with our linebackers? *Not your bleeding ***, or your fat ****

Kiwibrown

8 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

1.) I didn't say that I wanted Preston Smith ... I don't want to sign him ... I said we might sign him as in a prediction regarding who we might look at based on our personnel evaluators in-house.

2.) I heard McCloughon say on a podcast episode that "Preston has the length and the movement to play 43 OLB and naturally shows up at 255 to 257."

3.) Preston Smith is 26 and is listed at 265 ... apparently he has to put weight on to maintain the higher weight.

Wow Preston smith is only 26 I really though he was in the league a lot longer if we do anything I’d sign him to take over for Ogbah 

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Good point, if we upgrade 1 dt and de it would improve the play of our lbs. 

This is exactly why I want Dexter Lawrence so bad

59 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Preston Smith ? The 270 DE/OLB from the redskins ? Isn’t he almost thirty and we might as well move Ogbah If were doing that.  

Schoberts like having a coach on the field. Although he can be upgraded athletically he can’t be replace intellectually. 

Agree he would be better with his hand down, Meh on Schobert , I've seen plenty of bad decisions and poor angles from him.

IMO all three can stand to be replaced, I would obviously cut Collins, I would explore Schobert's trade value while his que rating is high across the league, explore a trade for Hassan Riddick, Draft evental replacement for Kirksey. I actually love how Dallas revamped their LB group.

For me its that other than Peppers we have no one that can really defend an athletic te or the better backs in the league in space and getting to the edge. 

Guarding TE's has been our greatest weakness for several seasons now. RBs we have been able to keep in check playing team defense.

Dont think you'd need to draft one high or pay up big. Im thinking a Todd Davis or Danny Trevathan

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Yeah higher rates of chrons and cancer and probably ibs.

Dont know why though. 

Off topic but yes smoking increases the risk for Crohn's disease but oddly enough nicotine alleviates the pain in Ulcerative Colitis (which is a cousin inflammatory bowel disease to Crohn's) 

On topic, I think its pretty unanimous we need better linebacker play. Its much easier to get a WLB later in the draft than a well rounded MLB

57 minutes ago, DawgX said:

The lack of respect Joe Schobert gets is astonishing.

He is solid....and sometimes you need guys that play solid, smart football.  He doesn't seem to make many splash plays.  I don't see him getting big hits.  He doesn't make many tackles for losses.  I keyed on him in the Ravens game and he was very meh.  Saw him get washed out...take bad angles.  I get he was a pro bowl player last year.  I just think we can upgrade that position with a quicker...harder hittin LB.

47 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

He is solid....and sometimes you need guys that play solid, smart football.  He doesn't seem to make many splash plays.  I don't see him getting big hits.  He doesn't make many tackles for losses.  I keyed on him in the Ravens game and he was very meh.  Saw him get washed out...take bad angles.  I get he was a pro bowl player last year.  I just think we can upgrade that position with a quicker...harder hittin LB.

I'm not saying he's an all pro LB or anything, but he's well above average. He certainly made his fair share of splash plays this year, more so than he did last year. Although I will agree that he didn't have a very good game vs. Baltimore, but our defense as a whole had a pretty bad game. He definitely missed at least a couple of tackles that game.

Schobert is our best LB and it's not even really close, IMO. Hopefully Avery will be a starter next year and can give Joe a run for his money.

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

For 40 million. 

I wanted to see what people are thinking and how relevant the missed tackles are for people. 

I definitely think that's a weakness the Browns are willing to take on in exchange for what he brings to the table in other facets. Obviously, you want the complete package...how likely is it that you're actually gonna have one fall into your lap?

Joe's mental game has been compared to Luke Keuchly by Gregg Williams. He's been called the QB of the defense multiple times. He's also been excellent in coverage. Additionally, while missing so many tackles, he finished one tackle shy of the team lead (105) after leading the NFL in tackles last year. To be able to do all that while also racking up so many tackles...really speaks to his ability to diagnose plays and have a nose for the football. That's an intangible that cannot always be fully taught.

All in all, would I be off if I called him an above average MLB, all things considered?

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Scho is the best we've had but he is above average at best. There are so many backers better than him, but this is what we do in Cleveland, we overrated everyone.

I mean, he is one of the strong suits of this defense right now. I'm not against seeking an upgrade, but I think the Browns would be better off prioritizing just about every other position on the defense outside of FS before trying to replace Schobert, IMO.

@MistaBohmbastic

That is a great write up. He is almost like a safety. He was playing better before his hamstring injury also, it might of been nagging him the rest of the season. 

He is also young, and inexperienced as an off the ball lvso he should get better. 

Also if we upgrade Coley he should be a bit more free to make tackles, he is never guna be that lb that shakes off guards. 

Archived