BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

No need for Winter Meetings

Why?

If we're looking to make changes that take effect this year, why would we wait until the summer?  Unless you don't think we need to make any changes this year is really the only reason we wouldn't have a winter meeting.

9 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Why?

If we're looking to make changes that take effect this year, why would we wait until the summer?  Unless you don't think we need to make any changes this year is really the only reason we wouldn't have a winter meeting.

Yeah I don't get the resistance 

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

Not sure I follow.

So you're saying any changes we decide on in this upcoming meeting wouldn't take effect until the following season?  Is that just for the summer meeting or both winter and summer?

That's generally how it goes yes, unless it's a rule change that addresses a loophole or something. It's for both meetings, we let the rules play out a year so we can see the effect they have. 

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

i believe, and i can't believe i understand him mind you, he is saying we don't know how the new draft and free agency rules will affect this year as they were passed late summer last year

This pretty much.

11 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Why?

Because the rule changes that take place this year (if there are any) will still take effect this year regardless of when they're implemented. 

Specifically there are a number of rules that would affect the current FA/draft and we should see how they play out so if there's any bugs we can fix them in the summer meeting so we don't have to have 2 owner meetings this year. 

7 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

That's generally how it goes yes, unless it's a rule change that addresses a loophole or something. It's for both meetings, we let the rules play out a year so we can see the effect they have. 

This pretty much.

Because the rule changes that take place this year (if there are any) will still take effect this year regardless of when they're implemented. 

Specifically there are a number of rules that would affect the current FA/draft and we should see how they play out so if there's any bugs we can fix them in the summer meeting so we don't have to have 2 owner meetings this year. 

Help me out here.

Last summer, for example the rule to have the salary at 75% instead of 85% was voted on but it didn't go into effect until this year and if I remember correctly it caused some confusion during the offseason.  Why didn't that rule take place this year?  Because it wasn't voted on until the summer meeting.  Why make changes to the rules after the season (offseason) has already taken place or in the middle of it.  Makes no sense to me.  Any changes to the rules should be done immediately after the bizzbowl and before the official offseason starts.  The only time you should be looking to change up a rule when the offseason has already started is if there is a loophole, that needs to be corrected immediately.

Waiting a year to see how these couple new rules will play out I don't understand.  They aren't major changes and if anything they benefit every team by giving them more money to play with, I don't see the need in waiting until mid offseason to change rules.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Help me out here.

Last summer, for example the rule to have the salary at 75% instead of 85% was voted on but it didn't go into effect until this year and if I remember correctly it caused some confusion during the offseason.  Why didn't that rule take place this year?  Because it wasn't voted on until the summer meeting.  Why make changes to the rules after the season (offseason) has already taken place or in the middle of it.  Makes no sense to me.  Any changes to the rules should be done immediately after the bizzbowl and before the official offseason starts.  The only time you should be looking to change up a rule when the offseason has already started is if there is a loophole, that needs to be corrected immediately.

Waiting a year to see how these couple new rules will play out I don't understand.  They aren't major changes and if anything they benefit every team by giving them more money to play with, I don't see the need in waiting until mid offseason to change rules.

I'm gonna guess Xmad is keeping the tradition of waiting a year for new rules to implement because that's how we've done things.

The changes we are potentially talking about (cutting the regular season, changing the playoff system etc.) is going to be a major topic and should probably not be rushed into this year if we all decide to vote on it in February. 

I'd say we have both a winter and summer meeting this year, we table the major changes (Schedule change, playoff tweaks etc.) for the summer and talk about the minor ones in March/April. 

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

I'm gonna guess Xmad is keeping the tradition of waiting a year for new rules to implement because that's how we've done things.

The changes we are potentially talking about (cutting the regular season, changing the playoff system etc.) is going to be a major topic and should probably not be rushed into this year if we all decide to vote on it in February. 

I'd say we have both a winter and summer meeting this year, we table the major changes (Schedule change, playoff tweaks etc.) for the summer and talk about the minor ones in March/April. 

After the disaster of the postseason, with no one really showing up to vote on guys, the holidays being a factor and the issue of being left to interrupt for ourselves what the rule is for resting players listed on the injury report.  I can't imagine having to go another year of that.  When a simple winter meeting would address that along with any other potential changes we vote on.

Waiting until mid offseason to vote on changes that wouldn't take effect until the following year just doesn't make any sense to me.  This is what the winter meetings should be all about.  Right now the season is over and we've got a window before the offseason official kicks off.  I just don't get why now wouldn't be the best time to address this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

After the disaster of the postseason, with no one really showing up to vote on guys, the holidays being a factor and the issue of being left to interrupt for ourselves what the rule is for resting players listed on the injury report.  I can't imagine having to go another year of that.  When a simple winter meeting would address that along with any other potential changes we vote on.

Waiting until mid offseason to vote on changes that wouldn't take effect until the following year just doesn't make any sense to me.  This is what the winter meetings should be all about.  Right now the season is over and we've got a window before the offseason official kicks off.  I just don't get why now wouldn't be the best time to address this.

It's fresh in your mind right? So you want to rush to fix the issues, when in reality most of what you described isn't fixable/can't be fixed by BDL rule tweaking.

1. No one showing up to vote, this will always be an issue for the playoffs because 50%-25% of the league is in the playoffs. Plus voting turn out is at best inconsistent throughout the year.

2. Holidays, we can change the playoffs to not be during weeks 15-17 but no matter what they'll most likely still be in December/after thanksgiving.

3. Injuries have always been a gray area that time of year, there's nothing we can do to fix that aside from provide a 100% " this is how it is" definition which I don't think we should provide given every circumstance is different for injuries. Aside from what we already have, it should remain as is.

It's not the best time to address it because it's a long off-season, a lot of things will change between now and the summer meetings. Why shouldn't we wait to address the problems so we can solve all of them during a dead period of the year when everyone will be less busy?

5 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

It's fresh in your mind right? So you want to rush to fix the issues, when in reality most of what you described isn't fixable/can't be fixed by BDL rule tweaking.

1. No one showing up to vote, this will always be an issue for the playoffs because 50%-25% of the league is in the playoffs. Plus voting turn out is at best inconsistent throughout the year.

2. Holidays, we can change the playoffs to not be during weeks 15-17 but no matter what they'll most likely still be in December/after thanksgiving.

3. Injuries have always been a gray area that time of year, there's nothing we can do to fix that aside from provide a 100% " this is how it is" definition which I don't think we should provide given every circumstance is different for injuries. Aside from what we already have, it should remain as is.

It's not the best time to address it because it's a long off-season, a lot of things will change between now and the summer meetings. Why shouldn't we wait to address the problems so we can solve all of them during a dead period of the year when everyone will be less busy?

Honestly, these are similar answers I got when discussing things with the ffmd guys a few years back.  We can't stop the complaining, it takes too many people to manage things, we can't fix the loopholes, etc, etc.  Where's that mock draft now?  

I've pointed out my thoughts about the season having too many weeks and getting burnt out because of it.  The holidays should be reserved for family and friends, I get that some of you guys have the time to invest time during these months, but when I joined I had no idea of the amount of time that this sim would demand.  Maybe it's as simple as this Sim isn't for me, which sucks because I think a season including the postseason of 13 weeks would be ideal.  

You talk about the issues but brush them off as something that can't be fixed.

As for the best time, again, this is a dead period.  Absolutely nothing taking place right now for the next few months.  I just don't understand why between the end of the season and before the start of the new season isn't the best time to resolve these issues.

8 minutes ago, Jlash said:

We can always just agree to have certain things we do in the owner's meeting put into effect immediately......right?

You guys set it up when you feel it necessary.  I just don't understand why wait until the offseason is almost over to vote on things.