BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

Just now, MD4L said:

Fair enough. I’m an ACC guy first and foremost anyhow.

It makes me curious though honestly because I agree with the argument that just because historically a school doesn't develop a position well doesn't mean the next guy up isn't going to be any good I agree with that 100% it really comes down to coaching. Having said that if you look at schools like USC Florida Ohio State and I guess you could I even say really Penn State for example they have almost never developed at quarterback worth mentioning. Obviously the book is still out on Sam darnold. And I honestly don't understand it maybe it's just the luck of the draw and whose team the end up on on in the NFL I don't know because in college a lot of these guys has been really really good for whatever reason it does not translate well and I think it's more coincidence that these particular people have played for these particular teams just because he's particular teams are really good recruiting teams but I mean at some point you almost fall into that history speaks for itself mindset which I have done

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

It makes me curious though honestly because I agree with the argument that just because historically a school doesn't develop a position well doesn't mean the next guy up isn't going to be any good I agree with that 100% it really comes down to coaching. Having said that if you look at schools like USC Florida Ohio State and I guess you could I even say really Penn State for example they have almost never developed at quarterback worth mentioning. Obviously the book is still out on Sam darnold. And I honestly don't understand it maybe it's just the luck of the draw and whose team the end up on on in the NFL I don't know because in college a lot of these guys has been really really good for whatever reason it does not translate well and I think it's more coincidence that these particular people have played for these particular teams just because he's particular teams are really good recruiting teams but I mean at some point you almost fall into that history speaks for itself mindset which I have done

When was the last time Alabama had a QB succeed in the NFL?  Namath and Starr?

Are you going to apply that same mindset to Tua?

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

How dare you disrespect Bobby Hoying, Joe Germaine, Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith and Terrell Pryor 

First of all I don't even know who the first three are that shows you how relevant they were in the NFL. Secondly the last two were not good quarterbacks in the NFL by any stretch of the imagination and Terrelle Pryor wasn't even that good of a wide receiver

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Not at all I mean what you're saying is completely Fair. Like I said there's always exceptions to the rules Marcus Mariota might not be a world-beater but he's a decent quarterback and before him I mean have we had a successful Oregon quarterback the only one I can think of is Dennis Dixon and he was a complete failure for the Steelers

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I think part of the reason that we don't see more success out of Alabama quarterbacks is because really it's not what their offense is about. They have a good passing game but they are all run first team.

Just now, bcb1213 said:

I'm more the mindset that your best NFL qb don't have top tier talent to throw to in college.  

I agree with that as well honestly. I mean if you really think about the guys even in recent drafts that have been taken that are truly the top quarterbacks and I'm not talking about guys they were necessarily taken in the first round of the guys that you see develop and play in the NFL they were really the best quarterbacks when you go back and look at who they played with I feel like and maybe I'm wrong here because I'm not cross checking this statement at the moment but I feel like when you look at the wide receivers that they might have played with that are in the NFL did not necessarily at the top of the list of success

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Not at all I mean what you're saying is completely Fair. Like I said there's always exceptions to the rules Marcus Mariota might not be a world-beater but he's a decent quarterback and before him I mean have we had a successful Oregon quarterback the only one I can think of is Dennis Dixon and he was a complete failure for the Steelers

Joey Harrington?  Kellen Clemens

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Using that logic is there any school that is active with multiple quality QBs? Cal is the first program that comes to mind.

Just now, bcb1213 said:

Joey Harrington?  Kellen Clemens

I forgot about them to you know what though I'm glad you brought up Joey Harrington. That is actually a quarterback that came out of Oregon that I feel really strongly could have had a really good career if he would have landed pretty much anywhere other than Detroit at that time. Detroit was a dumpster fire and by the time they started getting good his career was virtually over he took too many hits his stats were far too bad for anybody to take a chance on and he really received no developmental coaching in Detroit