BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

18 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

I mean, My Gawd, there's been so many issues this year with 3Ups.  We should definitely let the guy who changed the rules last year to his benefit overhaul the system this year.  I'm sure it will be just and unbiased this time.

I mean we all have votes that determine who wins this league. We still have power and control 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

I mean, My Gawd, there's been so many issues this year with 3Ups.  We should definitely let the guy who changed the rules last year to his benefit overhaul the system this year.  I'm sure it will be just and unbiased this time.

I guess at some point doing away with 3 ups altogether is the only way to go. It's the root source of all the issues here, because even as adults who are here to do something fun to occupy time with a sport we all love we can't have people try to manipulate rules, find loopholes and do everything they can do make this less fun for everyone.

@Hockey5djh 

You had asked about the effects of 3 Ups on the FA pool as that was one of @Ragnarok talking points for going back to 85% or higher.

Here are the last 4 years worth of 3 Ups used by teams as you can see most of the time, half the league doesn't even use all of them. If it was a case of every single team in the league using all of their 3 ups then I could see it being a valid point on Rags part. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19D57d50xNXmZOVkW92W_LwxKMh6AEPn3U3bpQskv0Qo/edit#gid=1430216939

Most of the time however teams know that they can usually get their player or a better player at a better rate in FA because of the lower minimum bids. It's one of the reasons we changed the year limit on FA from 6 to 5 years as most of the time owners just added those 6th years to make the contracts cheaper.

The Gonzo contracts in the BDL are usually handed out in RFA.

3 Ups are a decent rate on the highest paid players in the league.

FA is where you get your value depth players at.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I guess at some point doing away with 3 ups altogether is the only way to go. It's the root source of all the issues here, because even as adults who are here to do something fun to occupy time with a sport we all love we can't have people try to manipulate rules, find loopholes and do everything they can do make this less fun for everyone.

I’m more disappointed we can’t functionally conduct a 2 round post draft without a time slot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Is your concern really because we upped the cap space amount and lowered the 3D percentage in the same offseason and now you're like scrooge mcduck and don't know what to do with all your gold coins?

Again I really think that the 3D is just a way for the BDL to counteract the fact that while we mimic the NFL salary cap even though our league is half the size. IRL people don't take "hometown discounts" as much but IRL teams also don't have to pay for all stars at every position like we do in the BDL.

No, that is not really my concern.  We up the cap regularly.  Reducing the 3Up amount was just self-serving by the owners.  

Teams don't pay for all stars at every position because they CANT AFFORD IT.  3Downs, 85% 3Ups, and free agency rules are all ways that we accommodate the condensed rosters.  Voting for reductions in how much we pay is just sad.  The whole 50% FA thing is a sham attempt to balance out the payments.  A lot of FAs get bid up above the 40% anyways.  

42 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

No, that is not really my concern.  We up the cap regularly.  Reducing the 3Up amount was just self-serving by the owners.  

Teams don't pay for all stars at every position because they CANT AFFORD IT.  3Downs, 85% 3Ups, and free agency rules are all ways that we accommodate the condensed rosters.  Voting for reductions in how much we pay is just sad.  The whole 50% FA thing is a sham attempt to balance out the payments.  A lot of FAs get bid up above the 40% anyways.  

I get what you're saying but here is my opinion hey if owners are going to demand that we pay more for 3 up players I'm going to demand that if a new owner comes in and takes over for an owner that has done nothing but I cumulate high-priced talent and traded away all of their draft Capital that we should be able to three up and or three down more players hey that's not self-serving that can enable in ourselves to actually build a roster with some roster cap space instead of inheriting but I can only describe as absolute nonsense

In a perfect world we would not have a revolving door where ownership changes pretty much ever but even I am New Year right so you're saying that hypothetically if a new owner comes in and takes over a team now I should they have to pay more to re-sign three of the players yes the previous owner did everything they possibly could to acquire a bunch of players on one-year contract with $5,000 Plus cap costs basically completely disabling their ability to actually build a roster and considering that the win-loss record is based on voting by owners that actually have a steak and whether their team wins and losses or their division Rivals win or lose itself is also self-serving.

For example and I think this is the perfect example I have seen numerous people say that my team is going to be drafting top 5 next year and that has been in reference to the fact that I traded by first-round pick away. We haven't even hit free agency yet and people throughout the week have already determined that I'm going to lose a record number of games. Frank Leta kind of pisses me off and then on top of that people are complaining that we're not paying enough to re-sign players. Maybe the issue isn't that we're not paying enough to re-sign players maybe the issue is that we're not paying enough to sign free agents off of the free-agent Market.

48 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I would attribute it to the draft being before FA, but generally guys paid in higher bracket of their respective positions fail to reach the same value on the market. Kyle Fuller, Calais Campbell, Doug Baldwin, and Russell Wilson are some examples 

Full disclosure I did not proofread my message above I am using voice to text. Now there are a handful of guys in this league that are damn near impossible to trade with unless you are overpaying for whatever it is they are offering or asking for. Then you couple that with apparently the fact that we're not paying enough for three up players and the fact that free agency isn't that impressive oh yeah and by the way the fact that apparently it takes three weeks to three months to get through PFA or at least apparently it should. Let me ask this how exactly are teams that has been prejudged to be bad teams supposed to get better

I mean one major solution and this is kind of off of what MD4L just now, we could move free agency in front of the draft and make a deadline for 3 UPS that way if you don't get them done you just lose all your free agents and then all of those people who are complaining about discounts wouldn't have to worry about it because it wouldn't be able to re-sign those players anyway because they seem to want to take forever to do anything

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

That would be fixing something that is not a problem, and ultimately create unnecessary consequences.

I dont disagree. Im just saying that ppl seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining, we could always give them their way by making change for the sake of making change.