BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

So a quick unofficial tally of week 1. The average game plan word count was close to 700 words. You and I were on the low end at 383 and 424, New Orleans and Seoul i believe were the only one to cross 1000 words. The majority fell in the mid 600s. Why the hell is almost 2000 words necessary? I'll obviously make exception for the playoffs but c'mon.

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

So a quick unofficial tally of week 1. The average game plan word count was close to 700 words. You and I were on the low end at 383 and 424, New Orleans and Seoul i believe were the only one to cross 1000 words. The majority fell in the mid 600s. Why the hell is almost 2000 words necessary? I'll obviously make exception for the playoffs but c'mon.

Xmad might really be going in-depth that’s he’s explaining position by position assignments.

15 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Portland and I....You wrote 383 words last week. Portland wrote 858 words. Both were fine, I read and voted.

xmad is now threatening over 2 times as many words (as of now, could be more!) despite a 16-1 win.

Listen, it's mostly an empty promise but there's got to be a point in BDL (as in life) where you have to shut up after you made the sale and if you keep talking you're going to lose it. I'm just trying to gauge what that point is.

My write up this week is gonna be WAY over 2k words. Just sayin

Just now, wwhickok said:

Who is playing Hawaii this week? Two can play that game

I regret posting a word count now, can ya'll really not fight over a couple hundred words? Just skim the gameplan for the scheme and basics it's not that hard. 

• Like 1

Understand why some want to beef up their game plans with more detail but too much wordage tends to muddy what you are trying to convey.  When does it become too much?  When the reader decides to stop reading it.   

Edited by ny92mike

My biggest beef with long game plans is that they try to cover everything which is both impossible and kind of ruins the spirit (in my opinion). Like if you have a section about how your pass game is going to dominate and you’re going to do throw it often, and then a section about your run game dominating and how your going to establish the run, and then how your TE is your best pass catcher and he’s going to dominate the opposing LBs and also stay in to help block, I’m going to stop reading. But if you tell a good and coherent story about the game, write all you want. 

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

My biggest beef with long game plans is that they try to cover everything which is both impossible and kind of ruins the spirit (in my opinion). Like if you have a section about how your pass game is going to dominate and you’re going to do throw it often, and then a section about your run game dominating and how your going to establish the run, and then how your TE is your best pass catcher and he’s going to dominate the opposing LBs and also stay in to help block, I’m going to stop reading. But if you tell a good and coherent story about the game, write all you want. 

Exactly, it just becomes a "what if?" read, where you attempt to cover every situation.  If x decides to run more, we'll stack the box but if he comes out throwing it, we'll blitz and drop into coverage.  I saw a ton of that last year and like you say, you can't be in two places at the same time, which is what I mean by turning it into mud.