Divisional Round GDT Saints vs Eagles

EaglesPeteC

6 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

What's bolded above.

Can you really consider Foles a backup. I mean technically he is I guess. Hell of a luxury to have that as a backup.

Foles played pretty well the past 5 games, but he is still not our best QB. He definitely did not play well today,  he was ok, but when our running game consists of an old as hell Sproles and fourth string RB Smallwood, he needed to be better than ok.

Just now, eagles18 said:

his throws were entirely too predictable.  check down or deep throw to the outside... the offense completely decided to not run

Yea, though I can’t really nitpick. We had a 14 point lead and a shot to win at the end. Playoff games are seldom easy walks. It was tough, to the Saints’ credit, they adjusted and shut us down. A couple plays here or there and we’re talking about the Rams. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Does Wentz win that game? I’m leaning yes. Nick missed some throws. In no way does it all fall on Nick but he didn’t make enough plays for us to win. 

If Wentz got out to a 14-0 lead and was moving the chains like Foles was before the disastrous pick - YES, he wins the game IMO.  At that point in the game we needed a maestro who would continue to pick apart the Saints D and gut them slowly.  The coach and QB decided to take risks when the game called for the exact opposite approach.  I don't think Wentz would have taken the risk Foles did.  It's one thing to make that throw when you're behind and need a momentum changer. It's another thing to take that risk when you're moving the chains at will, eating the clock, and keeping Brees on ice. 

6 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

If Wentz got out to a 14-0 lead and was moving the chains like Foles was before the disastrous pick - YES, he wins the game IMO.  At that point in the game we needed a maestro who would continue to pick apart the Saints D and gut them slowly.  The coach and QB decided to take risks when the game called for the exact opposite approach.  I don't think Wentz would have taken the risk Foles did.  It's one thing to make that throw when you're behind and need a momentum changer. It's another thing to take that risk when you're moving the chains at will, eating the clock, and keeping Brees on ice. 

It’s fine to second guess it now I guess. If you told me we’d win with 21 pts id say you were crazy going into the game. But that was the exact case. Ertz comes up with that catch, we score  and we hypothetically win 21-20. Being aggressive is exactly what I wanted and is exactly what Foles had been doing since last year. I’m not going to blame them for keeping the gas pedal down. It was a fine decision, but the ball was slightly under thrown. But that’s Nick in a nutshell. He doesn’t have the most talented arm. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

It’s fine to second guess it now I guess. If you told me we’d win with 21 pts id say you were crazy going into the game. But that was the exact case. Ertz comes up with that catch, we score  and we hypothetically win 21-20. Being aggressive is exactly what I wanted and is exactly what Foles had been doing since last year. I’m not going to blame them for keeping the gas pedal down. It was a fine decision, but the ball was slightly under thrown. But that’s Nick in a nutshell. He doesn’t have the most talented arm. 

We'll forever disagree on this I guess, lol.  I don't think it was a fine decision and I didn't from the moment the ball left Foles hands.  I saw the ball starting to soar, and before we even saw the coverage on TV, I said to my wife, "What the hell is Foles chucking downfield for?!"... and... BOOM!

The "foot on the gas pedal" approach in that case is exactly why I blamed Doug and Nick for not having a better command of the game's momentum. Keep Brees OFF THE FIELD as long as possible. Continue to slice and dice by hitting WIDE OPEN players for 6, 8, 10 yards.  There's zero reason to throw a bomb with Ertz being covered by a stud, when there are two wide open targets in front of you and an easy 8-10 yard gain. It's called risk management.  We decided to increase risks when the game called for less risk taking. 

I will never be convinced by anyone that Foles made a "fine decision" on that play.  And, like I said, I screamed it the second the ball was released from his hands. 

You make that play to start a game, or when coming from behind, and looking for a momentum swing. 

2 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

We'll forever disagree on this I guess, lol.  I don't think it was a fine decision and I didn't from the moment the ball left Foles hands.  I saw the ball starting to soar, and before we even saw the coverage on TV, I said to my wife, "What the hell is Foles chucking downfield for?!"... and... BOOM!

The "foot on the gas pedal" approach in that case is exactly why I blamed Doug and Nick for not having a better command of the game's momentum. Keep Brees OFF THE FIELD as long as possible. Continue to slice and dice by hitting WIDE OPEN players for 6, 8, 10 yards.  There's zero reason to throw a bomb with Ertz being covered by a stud, when there are two wide open targets in front of you and an easy 8-10 yard gain. It's called risk management.  We decided to increase risks when the game called for less risk taking. 

I will never be convinced by anyone that Foles made a "fine decision" on that play.  And, like I said, I screamed it the second the ball was released from his hands. 

You make that play to start a game, or when coming from behind, and looking for a momentum swing. 

You have hindsight so it’s fine. Nick delivers that ball correctly and we’re up 21-0 and you don’t post about that throw once. That’s facts. 

There’s no way anyone should feel comfortable up 14 with 3 and a 1/2 quarters left against the Saints in NO. You keep trying to score. You can’t play the clock in the 1st quarter. We needed more points and the opportunity was there. So you take it. 

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

nah we arent the champs anymore as of today failed to defend is what we are

I was talking about ridding the website of Matts. 

But, if you want to be technical, if the world ended we’d still be champs. Until someone else is crowned we’re the champs. 

Kelce said he is unsure about his future and will be year to year from now on.

Brooks may end up missing all of next year (Achilles can be up to a full year).

Peters is basically done.

Offensive line has to be priority #1 or we will get whatever QB we end up using killed.

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

You have hindsight so it’s fine. Nick delivers that ball correctly and we’re up 21-0 and you don’t post about that throw once. That’s facts. 

There’s no way anyone should feel comfortable up 14 with 3 and a 1/2 quarters left against the Saints in NO. You keep trying to score. You can’t play the clock in the 1st quarter. We needed more points and the opportunity was there. So you take it. 

I will say this, if Ertz makes that catch, you are correct, I wouldn't have said anything about it.  I won't pretend I would have.  But, to myself, I would still be saying, "cut down the risks."

Here's what I didn't like about that play from jump:

1. You're throwing at Lattimore, who is a beast. 

2. You're stretching the field, instead of methodically cutting through the Saints D.

3. There were two WIDE OPEN players right there, with zero chance of not making a play, for all intents and purposes.

Bombs are always risky plays when there's tight one-on-one coverage. Even if the catch was incomplete, why waste a play when Smallwood had nobody near him and was an automatic game to move the chains or secure a 1st?  At that point in the game, you continue to do what worked so far, and what was working well on the drive. You could just "feel" the Saints thinking, "man, we can't stop this team from moving the chains at will."  It's exactly how we felt after the interception and the Saints converted on the 4th down.  

There's no coincidence that we didn't score again after that interception.  It was a complete momentum-changer.  And that's always a risk when you're launching bombs to a TE tightly covered by Lattimore. 

Between that pass and Doug continuing to try and run Sproles, I seriously question Doug's decision making. 

Archived