Secondary Going forward

IrishHooligan00

5 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Pretty much. 

I will be absolutely shocked if the Eagles pick anything besides OL or DL in round 1. 

We'll see I guess. I think it just depends how high they are on their board. 

Most likely selected position is DL though since its pretty deep this year and then our issues there. Graham is a FA. Jernigan should prob be cut just based on his high contract number. Bennett is still very productive, but he's old. Long might retire. Barnett is coming off a season ending injury. Sweat hasn't shown enough. 

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We'll see I guess. I think it just depends how high they are on their board. 

Most likely selected position is DL though since its pretty deep this year and then our issues there. Graham is a FA. Jernigan should prob be cut just based on his high contract number. Bennett is still very productive, but he's old. Long might retire. Barnett is coming off a season ending injury. Sweat hasn't shown enough. 

If they cut Timmy and Long retires, I’d be willing to bet Graham is back

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I was just naming possibilities, but for the right price I'd welcome BG back.

This team cares too much about the d-line to let the worst case scenario happen.

To me, I think they they do either/or with Long or Graham. I’d be very surprised to see both gone. 

If they decide they want to keep Timmy, I think they can restructure him to heavily reduce his cap hit. Since that injury pretty much voided all his guarantees.

No matter what happens, I could easily see 2 out of the 3 first picks being DE and DT. 

MADDY-768x431.png

Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Avonte Maddox, who allowed just 18 receptions from 33 targets for 218 yards across his 391 coverage snaps in the regular season, allowed a league-low 0.56 yards per coverage snap in 2018. The rookie Pittsburgh product barely beat the likes of Arizona Cardinalsveteran Patrick Peterson (0.63), but giving credit where credit’s due, Peterson did play nearly 200 more coverage snaps than Maddox this season.

As he Logged two interceptions and allowed just one touchdown in the process, Maddox also led the same group of 86 NFL cornerbacks with 300-plus coverage snaps in passer rating allowed at 59.9. Miami Dolphins Xavien Howard (62.6) and Denver Broncos Chris Harris Jr. (63.6) finished second and third, respectively.

This feels like Deja vu... heading into last year CB felt like a problem, then by the postseason we felt like we had an abundance of CB talent. Now this year is was the reverse, loved our CBs heading into the year, but by midseason it felt like our biggest need. We need to address CB big time this off season. I don't see any good corners on our roster right now that I'm comfortable with starting. Jones you ride with because of the investment and potential, but outside of him?

2 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

This feels like Deja vu... heading into last year CB felt like a problem, then by the postseason we felt like we had an abundance of CB talent. Now this year is was the reverse, loved our CBs heading into the year, but by midseason it felt like our biggest need. We need to address CB big time this off season. I don't see any good corners on our roster right now that I'm comfortable with starting. Jones you ride with because of the investment and potential, but outside of him?

yeah but we are talking about a completely new set of players why hold the formers short comings on the newers?

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

They aren’t going to invest heavily in CB IMO. It just isn’t how this team is built. They are gonna put all their resources in D-line and safety and throw a bunch of cheaper bodies at LB and CB and see what sticks. 

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They aren’t going to invest heavily in CB IMO. It just isn’t how this team is built. They are gonna put all their resources in D-line and safety and throw a bunch of cheaper bodies at LB and CB and see what sticks. 

It seems as if that’s the new technique Howie is incorporating. Young, controllable bodies at CB and high priced DL. Stands to reason. Having two expensive CBs cripple your salary structure. But having a relatively expensive, veteran S duo that can watch over them while your money at DL can create havoc seems to be effective. I mean, having a guy like Jenkins makes that all work but we know he’s a special player. It’ll be hard to pull that off without him. 

12 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

It seems as if that’s the new technique Howie is incorporating. Young, controllable bodies at CB and high priced DL. Stands to reason. Having two expensive CBs cripple your salary structure. But having a relatively expensive, veteran S duo that can watch over them while your money at DL can create havoc seems to be effective. I mean, having a guy like Jenkins makes that all work but we know he’s a special player. It’ll be hard to pull that off without him. 

Unless you find an absolute game changer at CB. It really makes sense to load up with as many decent to good cheap players at the position. You need 4-5 decent players at CB. Not 1 great player and 4 dudes who are trash. You’ll still get destroyed 

Archived