Jets to hire Gregg Williams as DC

barnaby8787

Alright, fill me in here. Williams runs a 4-3 base, so obviously there's gonna be some changes. I know this has been touched on before but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Who stays, who goes, where do some of the guys we have fit into the new scheme and who do we want to fill the remaining holes?

1 minute ago, mattmanz91 said:

Alright, fill me in here. Williams runs a 4-3 base, so obviously there's gonna be some changes. I know this has been touched on before but I'm curious on everyone's opinion. Who stays, who goes, where do some of the guys we have fit into the new scheme and who do we want to fill the remaining holes?

Most likely move on from Anderson and wouldn’t be surprised if we tried to trade Jenkins TBH if they don’t think he would Handle SAM or full time DE duties. Looks for us to add 2 DE’s, a SAM, and a back up NT between FA and the draft

Just now, mattmanz91 said:

Probably means the end for Henry Anderson.

Jordan Jenkins becomes kinda a misfit unless they play him at DE, but we probably need two new starters there because I'd expect Leo to kick inside. I think we're good at DT tho.

Lee probably moves to WLB where he'd be better off and Avery stays inside. Not sure who plays the other LB spot that's a hole.

Secondary probably stays the same but not sure if we keep Claiborne or replace him with younger legs and someone with an aggressive play style. Can't see us holding Skrine, hope Nickerson develops.

2 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Lee and Leo will fit extremely well. Tru has his best years under Gregg. The odd man out seems to be Jenkins. I wonder what he could yield on the trade market. Coming off a year where he had 7 sacks. 

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Lee and Leo will fit extremely well. Tru has his best years under Gregg. The odd man out seems to be Jenkins. I wonder what he could yield on the trade market. Coming off a year where he had 7 sacks. 

Not necessarily. Gerald Avery was used as a SLB in the base and a DE in the dime/nickel. I would think Jenkins can be used in a similar capacity if needed in the short-term

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Not necessarily. Gerald Avery was used as a SLB in the base and a DE in the dime/nickel. I would think Jenkins can be used in a similar capacity if needed in the short-term

Genard is a much better athlete though and smaller. I think Jordan’s a really odd fit personally. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Avery is more athletic than Jenkins for sure.  However, Scott Shanle of Saints could give us a better idea of how to use Jenkins.  Still, I opt for trading him if any chance.

Pretty much what I have gathered, but I was curious about your guys input.

Sounds like it won't be too much of a transition, and some of our guys may actually play better in a more natural position for them. 

Anyway I really like that we are moving to a more attacking style defense. Should definitely be alot of fun to watch Leo, Lee and Adams play in this scheme. 

EDGE- Rookie

3T- Leo

NT- Pennel/McLendon/Shep

EDGE- FA

Will- Lee

Mike- Avery

Sam- FA/Mid Round Rookie-KPL?

CB- Tru

FS- Maye

SS- Adams

CB- I think Jones could fill in here, he's got the size for a good zone press corner

This obviously cant be a 1 year shift but right now we can build up either the front 7 or back end. I say Front 7 for now since we've allocated multiple resources in the Secondary already.

Tru/Jamal/Maye/Jones should be able to get it done with an aggressive front 7 attacking.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

EDGE- Rookie

3T- Leo

NT- Pennel/McLendon/Shep

EDGE- FA

Will- Lee

Mike- Avery

CB- Tru

FS- Maye

SS- Adams

CB- I think Jones could fill in here, he's got the size for a good zone press corner

This obviously cant be a 1 year shift but right now we can build up either the front 7 or back end. I say Front 7 for now since we've allocated multiple resources in the Secondary already.

Tru/Jamal/Maye/Jones should be able to get it done with an aggressive front 7 attacking.

For Sam, could look at Barr

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

EDGE- Rookie

3T- Leo

NT- Pennel/McLendon/Shep

EDGE- FA

Will- Lee

Mike- Avery

CB- Tru

FS- Maye

SS- Adams

CB can be small as long as he can cover and tackle well.

8 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Pretty much what I have gathered, but I was curious about your guys input.

Sounds like it won't be too much of a transition, and some of our guys may actually play better in a more natural position for them. 

Anyway I really like that we are moving to a more attacking style defense. Should definitely be alot of fun to watch Leo, Lee and Adams play in this scheme. 

Yup. As I said, they always had their eye on Williams, specifically because of how well our key pieces fit in his defense. This ties back to the whole topic of staffing: the Jets didn't say "if we hire you, you have to hire X", but they did make their suggestions and the coaches who weren't receptive or had different ideas for their staff simply weren't offered the job. 

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Yup. As I said, they always had their eye on Williams, specifically because of how well our key pieces fit in his defense. This ties back to the whole topic of staffing: the Jets didn't say "if we hire you, you have to hire X", but they did make their suggestions and the coaches who weren't receptive or had different ideas for their staff simply weren't offered the job. 

Now that it seems like the most important hire for Gase's staff is done, I'm anxious to see how he fills the rest of his staff. I'm sure he will let Greg hire most of the defensive assistants or at least have significant input. 

I am very curious to see who winds up being OL coach. 

Archived