Kemba Walker

Dingo18287

What should Hornets do with Kemba?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Hornets and Kemba

• Trade Kemba by trade deadline
    • Sign and trade Kemba in offseason
    • Sign Kemba to possible max contract

With the Hornets sitting in 8th place in the conference, it looks like another mediocre season for them and Kemba. Kemba is in the last year of his contract, making an extremely reasonable $12 million. What do you think the Hornets should do with him?

Hornets are also hosting the All Star game, which may complicate trading him away prior to the event. 

Trade before deadline

Sign and trade during offseason, if they don’t lose him outright  

Sign to extension, possible a max contract

I’d prefer the Hornets resign him, but this team probably needs just throw in the towel, build around Monk and Bridges. They also have several awful contracts that don’t expire for a few seasons in Marvin Williams and Nic Batum. 

Max him. It’s not Kemba’s fault that the front office gave out a bunch of trash contracts. No reason an incompetent franchise should move on from an all star if he wants to stay. He’ll be overpaid, but you could build a mid level team in the east around him. 

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Max him. It’s not Kemba’s fault that the front office gave out a bunch of trash contracts. No reason an incompetent franchise should move on from an all star if he wants to stay. He’ll be overpaid, but you could build a mid level team in the east around him. 

Then they're paying the luxury tax for maybe making the playoffs. That's a tough sell. 

8 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Use a first to dump contracts & get out of the tax then imo. 

Not as easy as it used to be.  Plus trading a lottery pick to duck the tax is hard to swallow.

Well I did just look at their payroll, and it's pretty clear after the 2020 season (obviously besides Batum).  If Jordan pays the luxury tax once after next season, they could unload Batum with a 1st and everyone else except Walker, Zeller, and their recent picks would be gone.  And if they wait until after the 2020 season, Batum is an expiring so a 1st should do it.

I'd still trade him, but I understand wanting to keep him.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, seminoles1 said:

Not as easy as it used to be.  Plus trading a lottery pick to duck the tax is hard to swallow.

Well I did just look at their payroll, and it's pretty clear after the 2020 season (obviously besides Batum).  If Jordan pays the luxury tax once after next season, they could unload Batum with a 1st and everyone else except Walker, Zeller, and their recent picks would be gone.  And if they wait until after the 2020 season, Batum is an expiring so a 1st should do it.

I'd still trade him, but I understand wanting to keep him.

Imagine dumping Kemba to continue to pay Batum. It's not happening even if it will be tough. 

Archived