Packers hire Nate Hackett as OC

pwny

1 minute ago, Jaguarfan said:

he has one season calling plays under his belt and he did a pretty mediocre job

He did a pretty "mediocre" job with pretty "mediocre" talent. You can polish a turd all ya want but it's still a turd. Let's see what he can do with Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones and Davante Adams before we make any rash judgments. 

20 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He did a pretty "mediocre" job with pretty "mediocre" talent. You can polish a turd all ya want but it's still a turd. Let's see what he can do with Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones and Davante Adams before we make any rash judgments. 

I'd agree with your assessment that the Titans played to their talent level.

However, coaches are asked to maximize their talent level. I don't think LaFleur has done this to date, and coaches that fail to do so are the ones that get fired after 3 seasons. Frankly, the only reason he was hired was due to his association with McVay. His own resume certainly isn't.

Certainly, the Packers won't be bad though as long as Aaron Rodgers is there (and healthy). I'm not sure if LaFleur has shown anything so far that would make me optimistic he can improve what's already there.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

However, coaches are asked to maximize their talent level. I don't think LaFleur has done this to date, and coaches that fail to do so are the ones that get fired after 3 seasons. Frankly, the only reason he was hired was due to his association with McVay. His own resume certainly isn't.

Certainly, the Packers won't be bad though as long as Aaron Rodgers is there (and healthy). I'm not sure if LaFleur has shown anything so far that would make me optimistic he can improve what's already there.

We'll see how logical that proves to be. Nagy and Pederson were hired for their associations with Andy Reid.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Who's to say that he didn't maximize their talent level? Let's not forget that Blaine Gabbert saw meaningful action in 5 games and Mariota dealt with a nerve issue with his throwing hand all year so that's kinda going to limit any type of offensive ceiling you might have. 

Basically, all I'm saying is that is far too early to have a definitive stance on what Matt LaFleur is or what he's capable of. 

22 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

he has one season calling plays under his belt and he did a pretty mediocre job

And his talent level is what exactly?  Look at the top 5 offenses in DVOA: Kansas City, Los Angeles (N), Los Angeles (A), New Orleans, and New England.  What do those have in common?  Franchise QBs who are viewed among the top QBs in the game.  Look at the bottom 5 offenses in DVOA: Arizona, Buffalo, Jacksonville, New York (A), and Washington.  Three of the five are breaking in rookie QBs, one had arguably the worst QB, and the other one lost their QB halfway through the season.  Long story short, your offense only goes as far as your QB goes.  He's had Blake Bortles (44), Cody Kessler (4), Kyle Orton (12), EJ Manuel (14), Thaddeus Lewis (5), and Jeff Tuel (1).  That's a whose who of god awful QBs.

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

What talent level was there to maximize?  They had a "franchise" QB who couldn't even hold the ball long enough to throw it, and they had Blaine freaking Gabbert as their backup.  Their offensive line is probably the only part of their offense that is talented.  Ask yourself this, how many Titans' offensive players would have started for the Packers last year?  Corey Davis and Taylor Lewan are guaranteed.  Jack Conklin would have been one of the starting guards, but beyond that the Titans are awful.  I'm not taking Taywan Taylor or Tejae Sharpe over MVS or ESB, and certainly not over Davante Adams.  The RBs are a toss up.  The Titans absolutely very little talent.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

An uninspiring hire to say the least. Will probably be a successful offense anyway simply because of Rodgers... but if they were looking for a crisp offensive mind to take the offense to the next level, well, this isn't him. Most Jaguars games I watched with him at the offensive helm looked like the most generic offense I've ever seen in pro football for quite some time.

Have you watched Scott Linehan?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ask yourself this, how many Titans' offensive players would have started for the Packers last year?  Corey Davis and Taylor Lewan are guaranteed.  Jack Conklin would have been one of the starting guards, but beyond that the Titans are awful.

Unless whoever the Packers RT is was horrible then he wouldn't have. He was awful coming off his ACL tear and Dennis Kelly was actually really good. Outside of Davis, Lewan, Kelly, and Henry, and Lewis, LaFleur didn't have much to work with. His play calling was still not very good though.

Just now, dtait93 said:

Unless whoever the Packers RT is was horrible then he wouldn't have. He was awful coming off his ACL tear and Dennis Kelly was actually really good. Outside of Davis, Lewan, Kelly, and Henry, and Lewis, LaFleur didn't have much to work with. His play calling was still not very good though.

Conklin even with a torn ACL probably would have been better than Byron Bell and Justin McCray at RG this year.  It was that bad.  But your playbook gets squeezed when you don't have the personnel to run it.

58 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hackett may be a crappy OC (he's also not calling plays so...it's a figurehead position tbh) but LaFleur was a damn fine hire.

I wish he was still our OC so Mariota could have continuity, but what about LaFleur makes you think he was such a good hire to be a head coach?

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Conklin even with a torn ACL probably would have been better than Byron Bell and Justin McCray at RG this year.  It was that bad.  But your playbook gets squeezed when you don't have the personnel to run it.

Never paid attention to either of those guys, they must be truly awful. Conklin isn't a guard though. He would have replaced Josh Kline who was getting Mariota/Gabbert killed all year if he was.

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I wish he was still our OC so Mariota could have continuity, but what about LaFleur makes you think he was such a good hire to be a head coach?

Because I feel he has the most upside of anyone hired this cycle. He's really green, as you've said, but he brings a high offensive acumen with him to pair with what Rodgers already knows/can do. LIS before, I'd rather be ahead of the 8 ball than behind it. Plus, he's the type to adjust his gameplan to what he has available, which is entirely the opposite of what our former staff did. It's a refreshing take. He comes highly recommended by two of the best young offensive minds in the game so, again, I'd rather jump on that train early than get into a bidding war down the road.

I know people want to point to the bad players on the Jaguars as the reason for the bad play calling, and I get that all. But the thing is when the offense opened up, the offense played better. He just refused to actually do anything other than run up the middle constantly and run crossing routes in the passing game unless he was forced to. 

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Never paid attention to either of those guys, they must be truly awful. Conklin isn't a guard though. He would have replaced Josh Kline who was getting Mariota/Gabbert killed all year if he was.

Some viewed him as a guard coming out of college, but there's more value in tackles than there are guards.

Archived