Raiders Defense

Rolni

25 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Id only bring back Worley as a role player, not a starting CB and only on a very cheap deal. 

That’s literally all the people advocating for Worley are asking.  Plus maybe he competes for to “starts” and splits time with the rookie for the first handful of games until the rookie takes over and Worley moves to a limited, situational role.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s literally all the people advocating for Worley are asking.  Plus maybe he competes for to “starts” and splits time with the rookie for the first handful of games until the rookie takes over and Worley moves to a limited, situational role.

I think the group needs a vet, going in with Mullen and a 1st round rookie pencilled in as starters would be worrying the more I think about it. I wonder if a trade might be in the mix if we don’t like the FA market. 

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

We want to bring back a player that allowed almost 1,000 yards passing last season in coverage? 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

I think the group needs a vet, going in with Mullen and a 1st round rookie pencilled in as starters would be worrying the more I think about it. I wonder if a trade might be in the mix if we don’t like the FA market. 

You have Joyner and Lawson in the room. Those two have over 100 starts combined between them. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We want to bring back a player that allowed almost 1,000 yards passing last season in coverage? 

Your really stretching the numbers by saying he almost gave up 1000yds.  Just FYI stats inc isn’t very reliable.  I stopped looking at their stuff when I noticed a few years ago their sack stats always varied versus multiple sources.  
Worley gave up 630ish yards with a 52% competition rating.  That’s not horrible.  This debate has reached its limits, you despise Worley, I think he’s a lower level player who could be had for cheap and could serve a moderate sized role with the team.  I wouldn’t mind getting someone better, but if he’s cheap and we want to allocate money to other positions I think he’d help the team out.  You think he’s the worst CB in the league.  Debate over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Yeah, Im not glued to Worley... I just think a veteran player should be added.

someone who can start if the rookie isn’t ready game 1 and someone who can fill in for a game or two if Mullen or the rookie gets dinged up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

You have Joyner and Lawson in the room. Those two have over 100 starts combined between them. 

Have Joyner or Lawson ever been a #1 or #2 outside corner ? 

Mullen and any rookie would benefit from someone who has been there and done it imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Id like to by the end of the year have a secondary that has Mullen and Jaylon Johnson on the outside, Amik Robertson in the slot with Abram, Joyner and Randall (or Ashtyn Davis) at safety. Unlikely, and I don't think they'd move Joyner back there but I think we could cover a lot of options with that lineup with Lawson and one of Isaiah Johnson or Nixon stepping up as a quality backup. 

Jaylon Johnson and Ashtyn Davis would be ideal. Joyner is the issue for me he’s obviously not a good fit for our split safety scheme and not a great slot CB either. Like you say Lawson is good depth but another vet to help the young ones is needed especially as Johnson is unlikely to be back until late in camp at best.

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

Jaylon Johnson and Ashtyn Davis would be ideal. Joyner is the issue for me he’s obviously not a good fit for our split safety scheme and not a great slot CB either. Like you say Lawson is good depth but another vet to help the young ones is needed especially as Johnson is unlikely to be back until late in camp at best.

TBH i would probably have preferred we kept Joseph over Joyner, especially at their respective costs and then brought in a guy like Brian Poole at slot CB or draft an Amik Robertson. Joyner is vastly overpaid at CB for his level of play and doesn't fit what we're looking for at safety as you say.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'll take the player who can play in press man, is solid in run support, and played okay for us last year. 

Would you rather have someone who is a better scheme fit but does not play as well or someone who is a bad scheme fit but can can play better?  I understand the concept but if a player performs better then they perform better.  If all you care about is scheme fit and do not want to consider role, pay, lack of options, or performance then I do not know what to tell you.  Also do not talk about stats only when you feel it suits you and then exaggerate those stats.  The stats you have given are on the far end of the spectrum of what is out there.  Worley is a below average to average CB in our system if he is a starter on the outside depending on the match up.  That is not good enough for me but he would be a high end back up and have a role when we play specific teams.  Taking that into account he would have to sign for less than and average CB.  If he is not cheap then of course we should go in another direction.  If we draft a CB and sign Worley for the league minimum would you be okay with that or do you just want a big fast CB no mater what?  And yes I agree Worley is a bad scheme fit.  I will not argue that.