Raiders Defense

Rolni

Why can we be positive about our Defense?

-we have the same scheme and system in place, so the returning guys won't have to learn a new scheme on the fly

-we got one of the best DL coaches in the NFL to develope our young guys

-we have a strong and deep DT group and we have the potential in some of these guys to get better

-we have a solid DE group with high motor guys and we have serious potential there with 2 guys making the 2nd year jump

-we added speed, football IQ and talent to our LB group with Littleton and Kwia (and maybe Muse)

-we added toughness, speed and talent to our DB room and we will hopefully have Abram for the full year which should be a huge get 

-on paper every unit got better and that also means that on paper this hole D got better

-our deep DL group should generate finally NFL level pass rush, which could finally let PG really use his scheme

-our speed at LB and DB should also finally allow PG to run his scheme the way he really wants

-we have some tone setters, some vocal guys, leaders on this D finally and that could mean a lot, because IMO we lacked leadership since CWood (and Tuck) left

-we have some guys on every level whom the OCs or the offensive skill guys have to keep attention 

Why should we be skeptical about our Defense?

-we will suffer some from this shortened offseason, since we could have basically 5 new starters easily

-our communication could be an issue with all these new guys and the short offseason

-we have questions around every "newcomer"

-will Littleton be similary succesfull without that DL?

-will Kwia be able to play good football as a starter for an extended time?

-will Collins step up, turn into a top level DT and earn a big contract or will he be just another guy without the other Boys DL guys?

-will Nassib be a true impact guy or just another 1 dimensional run stuffer at DE?

-will Arnette be fast enough in the NFL, especially in our division?

-will Abram be a true modern impact S or just an out dated SS?

-will Randall get back to his college play and his '18 NFL level or will he just flop?

-will Amik make any impact with that frame or will he flame out fast?

-will Muse ever be more than a ST guy?

-PG hasn't really shown anything so far as a DC alone that would really encourage me

-we still seem to be too slow on the EDGE to me

-our cover ability is just potential at this point and not a proven thing

-we have multiple guys who could be penality magnets 

I say the potential is really nice with this group, but I see a pretty low floor at the moment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

-PG hasn't really shown anything so far as a DC alone that would really encourage me

I say the potential is really nice with this group, but I see a pretty low floor at the moment. 

We made a decent improvement between year 1 and 2 on defense. Yards allowed we improved from 26th to 19th and in scoring defense we improved from 32nd to 24th. We've had so much instability across the defense with Gunther. Excited to see what he can do with young talent at all three levels now. 

Yeah there's a lot of boom/bust potential you could really make a case that every player on our defense is boom or bust outside of maybe Marquel Lee and Jonathan Hankins who are both just okay. 

Crosby - Can he improve upon his rookie season? Will he actually produce against good competition this year?

Collins - Is he a guy that just flashes or can he take the next step in becoming an upper echelon defensive tackle? 

Ferrell - Will he be able to live up to the top 5 pick status and take a leap in production?

Littleton - How will he look in a 4-3 defense playing behind an average defensive line? 

Kwit - Is he a guy that flashes or can he produce at a high level over a full season?

Mullen - Legit or is he the next Conley? 

Arnette - Will he be able to live up to his draft stock and make an impact as a rookie? 

Randall - Can he finally take the next step and be a consistent starter at FS?

Abram - Will his style translate in the modern NFL and will he be able to hold up in coverage? 

• Like 1

Considering how horrific we've been at LB, the guys we got a LB will dramatically improve the defense alone. No more dumpoffs and wide open RB's/TE's. No more terrible run fits and mobile quarterbacks just giving us fits. No more ineffective blitzing from the LB group. I think kwit and littleton will be the "glue" for this defense.

• Like 2

With the Amukamara signing, I don't think Nevin Lawson makes the cut if we are keeping 6 corners...

Trayvon Mullen, Prince Amukamara, Damon Arnette, Isaiah Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, Amik Robertson

Lawson was alreayd suspended week 1 which didn't help his chances.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

Maybe one of the corners concerts to coverage FS 

That's Randall's job to lose, with Harris as his backup. If Amik really shows up and proves he belongs on the field, I'm all for Joyner getting more reps at safety, though.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mayock is taking a "new england" approach to building his defense. Not a lot of star power, but tons of depth and no glaring weaknesses.

Basically the opposite of the JDR defenses, that were carried by Mack.

Our LB depth still sucks. bring back Compton and Vontaze for cheap!

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mayock is taking a "new england" approach to building his defense. Not a lot of star power, but tons of depth and no glaring weaknesses.

Basically the opposite of the JDR defenses, that were carried by Mack.

JDR tried getting stars elsewhere too. Bruce Irvin was a big signing. Sean Smith was a big signing. David Amerson was paid after he had a really strong year. They spent a first round pick on Gareon. The depth certainly seems better now, but I'd prefer the volatile defense with the occasional big play/turnover caused by Mack vs the bend bend bend and then break anyway defense we saw at times last year. 

As always, hopefully this year is different.

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I wouldn't say it sucks. Lee and Morrow are fine backups.

Lee is just a body. nothing he does particularly well, imo. morrow is theoretically fast but doesnt even cover well. they're both camp fodder type guys who have become roster locks because of how dreadful our linebackers have been for years now. we think they're fine just because we're familiar with them and the hopes we had for them 2-3 years ago

Edited by Turnobili