Raiders Defense

Rolni

30 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Lee is just a body. nothing he does particularly well, imo. morrow is theoretically fast but doesnt even cover well. they're both camp fodder type guys who have become roster locks because of how dreadful our linebackers have been for years now. we think they're fine just because we're familiar with them and the hopes we had for them 2-3 years ago

You can't have starters as backups at every position. They are mediocre, but serviceable players who can handle spot duty. We aren't going to land a backup stud at every position. I can live with them if we are unable to add anyone else. It's possible that a viable backup will emerge in TC as well. Stranger things have happened.

• Like 3

4/2/5 looks good on paper. 

DT's Collins/Hall/Hankins/Hurst is a solid group with upside. DE's Crosby/Ferrell/Key/Nassib gives us 8 players with starting experience.

Littleton and Kit get most of the snaps with Lee/Morrow/Muse filling gaps and not on field much. (weak spot on D but improved)

CB's Akmu/Amik/Arnette/Johnson/Joyner/Mullen gives us 2 vets around the young talent.

S Abram/Harris/Heath/Randall all got starts but Abram is like a rookie with his start.

We've got a solid group of guys on D that just need chemistry, communication and health to succeed. 

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Crosby - Can he improve upon his rookie season? Will he actually produce against good competition this year?

In my opinion I just dont see this kid failing, he's got all the intangibles you'd want and underated athleticism. He might not duplicate the sack totals of last season but he'll be an absolute terror on the edge, probably will improve in run defence and I cant see any way other than injury he isn't a star going forward.

Ferrell - Will he be able to live up to the top 5 pick status and take a leap in production

In short, no. He'll be solid but unspectacular, a leader and a good all round player but he'll never live up to the draft status.

Collins - Is he a guy that just flashes or can he take the next step in becoming an upper echelon defensive tackle?

I don't have a huge knowledge of his strengths and weaknesses and I haven't seen him play a lot, we just seem to be placing some lofty expectations that he's the missing piece and suddenly it will click. I can't help but feel we're in for a slight disappointment but hope Marinelli can make a big difference. 

Littleton - How will he look in a 4-3 defense playing behind an average defensive line? 

Probably not quite as good! He is quality player though so I think we're in for a big upgrade in coverage and he's a very consistent tackler so I expect him to live up to the hype for the most part.

Kwit - Is he a guy that flashes or can he produce at a high level over a full season?

I dont see a superstar with him but if he can come in, make the right calls, tackle well and be efficient then that will do our D a huge positive. We dont need an All Pro but we do need consistent and disciplined play and organisation. Our D looked decent with Burfict getting the calls and making sure we're communicating so I think he'll have a similar effect and be an underrated signing.

Mullen - Legit or is he the next Conley?

At the very least he's going to be a solid man cover CB going forward, maybe he won't take the next step to shut down corner but as long as he stays healthy I think he'll be a very good player. 

Arnette - Will he be able to live up to his draft stock and make an impact as a rookie?

Like his coverage abilities and feisty nature, very nervous about his grabby tendancies. I think the speed thing has been put to bed and excited to see him play. I cant see him ever being a star but i think he'll be a decent #2 who frustrates us at times giving away some bad penalties.

Randall - Can he finally take the next step and be a consistent starter at FS?

I dont think so to be honest. He is what he is at this point, a talented but inconsistent enigma. Maybe he'll get it all together and if our pass rush improves that could help a lot but I struggle to think he'll suddenly click.

Abram - Will his style translate in the modern NFL and will he be able to hold up in coverage? 

A huge question, can he be more than a stock box safety? I'm inclined to think he can, dont think he'll be a Jamal Adams type player but he is an energiser and a guy that will set the tempo and if he can make a few plays in coverage and not be a liability that will go a huge way to helping establish our D. Between him, Littleton and maybe Muse we should have pieces in place to help the TE problem.

All of course in my humble and very amateur opinion 😁😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

In my opinion I just dont see this kid failing, he's got all the intangibles you'd want and underated athleticism. He might not duplicate the sack totals of last season but he'll be an absolute terror on the edge, probably will improve in run defence and I cant see any way other than injury he isn't a star going forward.

In short, no. He'll be solid but unspectacular, a leader and a good all round player but he'll never live up to the draft status.

I don't have a huge knowledge of his strengths and weaknesses and I haven't seen him play a lot, we just seem to be placing some lofty expectations that he's the missing piece and suddenly it will click. I can't help but feel we're in for a slight disappointment but hope Marinelli can make a big difference. 

Probably not quite as good! He is quality player though so I think we're in for a big upgrade in coverage and he's a very consistent tackler so I expect him to live up to the hype for the most part.

I dont see a superstar with him but if he can come in, make the right calls, tackle well and be efficient then that will do our D a huge positive. We dont need an All Pro but we do need consistent and disciplined play and organisation. Our D looked decent with Burfict getting the calls and making sure we're communicating so I think he'll have a similar effect and be an underrated signing.

At the very least he's going to be a solid man cover CB going forward, maybe he won't take the next step to shut down corner but as long as he stays healthy I think he'll be a very good player. 

Like his coverage abilities and feisty nature, very nervous about his grabby tendancies. I think the speed thing has been put to bed and excited to see him play. I cant see him ever being a star but i think he'll be a decent #2 who frustrates us at times giving away some bad penalties.

I dont think so to be honest. He is what he is at this point, a talented but inconsistent enigma. Maybe he'll get it all together and if our pass rush improves that could help a lot but I struggle to think he'll suddenly click.

A huge question, can he be more than a stock box safety? I'm inclined to think he can, dont think he'll be a Jamal Adams type player but he is an energiser and a guy that will set the tempo and if he can make a few plays in coverage and not be a liability that will go a huge way to helping establish our D. Between him, Littleton and maybe Muse we should have pieces in place to help the TE problem.

All of course in my humble and very amateur opinion 😁😁

Conley biggest weakness is he couldn't tackle.

He's poor tackling  Single-handedly cost us the KC game last year.

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Conley biggest weakness is he couldn't tackle.

He's poor tackling  Single-handedly cost us the KC game last year.

Not really sure of the relevance? OP was a question on Mullen and Arnette...... Though I agree that Conley's biggest weakness was tackling and lack of physicality. I did like him from a coverage perspective though. I think Mullen is an upgrade, hopefully Arnette will be too. The guy I'm most excited to see though is Amik Robertson 😁

On 12/05/2020 at 10:50 AM, Rolni said:

Why can we be positive about our Defense?

-we have the same scheme and system in place, so the returning guys won't have to learn a new scheme on the fly

-we got one of the best DL coaches in the NFL to develope our young guys

-we have a strong and deep DT group and we have the potential in some of these guys to get better

-we have a solid DE group with high motor guys and we have serious potential there with 2 guys making the 2nd year jump

-we added speed, football IQ and talent to our LB group with Littleton and Kwia (and maybe Muse)

-we added toughness, speed and talent to our DB room and we will hopefully have Abram for the full year which should be a huge get 

-on paper every unit got better and that also means that on paper this hole D got better

-our deep DL group should generate finally NFL level pass rush, which could finally let PG really use his scheme

-our speed at LB and DB should also finally allow PG to run his scheme the way he really wants

-we have some tone setters, some vocal guys, leaders on this D finally and that could mean a lot, because IMO we lacked leadership since CWood (and Tuck) left

-we have some guys on every level whom the OCs or the offensive skill guys have to keep attention 

Why should we be skeptical about our Defense?

-we will suffer some from this shortened offseason, since we could have basically 5 new starters easily

-our communication could be an issue with all these new guys and the short offseason

-we have questions around every "newcomer"

You raise some really good positives and highlight a few potential weaknesses, I agree with a lot of this and I really like that we added high motor guys with speed and aggression. Coach Marinelli could be our ace card here as I feel the DL will be key to making all the other parts of the D work efficiently. If we can generate pressure that will help the linebackers stay clean and accentuate their speed, help the secondary and especially the transition for the rookies. 

Agree with the tone setters, Crosby, Kwit and Abram could have a big influence there as aggressive, hot motor guys who just wont quit, hopefully they'll energise the players round them.

On the downside we're relying on a number if new starters finding chemistry with less iff season (though that is the same for a number if teams) and a jump in production from a few guys as you say and whilst I expect one or two to make that leap the odds are some will flop.

I see a lot more positives than negative at this point though and would be very disappointed if we're not at least a middle of the pack D. With the shortened activities, i think we're relying more than ever on quality coaching to work under difficult circumstances, a lot comes down to do we believe in the coaches and can they put our players in position to succeed?

• Like 1

I don't know how much of a problem communication and learning a new defense will be. Teams are going thru virtual workouts right now and much of it has to be playbook study. It's quite possible teams are spending more time on it now than they would if they were able to get on the practice field. Obviously, you still have to be able to take it to the field when it becomes a possibility.

29 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know how much of a problem communication and learning a new defense will be. Teams are going thru virtual workouts right now and much of it has to be playbook study. It's quite possible teams are spending more time on it now than they would if they were able to get on the practice field. Obviously, you still have to be able to take it to the field when it becomes a possibility.

Good point, though it is much different reading a playbook and actually running through a drill on a field. The cerebral players and players with high football IQs should benefit. The type of players we've brought in have a good chance of succeeding but maybe the very different prep will benefit defences more than offences especially against timing based passing attacks.

• Like 1

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/15/raiders-jon-gruden-talks-littleton-ruggs-arnette-and-more/

Link to the full article but some interesting tidbits. 

Q: Amik Robertson’s reaction filmed by the club informing him he would be a Raider was remarkable for its emotion. What’s it like to give someone ath kind of news?

Gruden: I expected that. Skip Holtz coached at South Florida and Tampa, where I’m from. they’ve got guys from that (Louisiana Tech) staff that were at USF. I hate to come out and say he’s my favorite guy, but selfishly, deep down, somewhere inside of me, I wanted that guy bad. I just love what he’s about. He’s got a lot of Ronde Barber traits. He’s a different dude on game day. He’s not little, he’s just short. He’s just not tall. He’s a powerful guy, he’s got great quickness, he’s got incredible recognition and he’s a good tackler.

Q: To have seven draft picks, with every one of them among the top 139 of players, it appears there’s a good chance all these picks will be contributing sooner rather than later . . .

Gruden: Forget making the team, we think all seven of them can contribute. You look in the fourth round a guy like (Tanner) Muse from Clemson. (Isaiah) Simmons got all the ink, for good reason, he played several positions. But so did Muse. Hell, I’m watching Alabama play Clemson two years ago for all the marbles, and in goal line and in short-yardage, Simmons isn’t even on the field. Muse is. He wasn’t even playing on first down in some of the personnel groupings that Alabama put out there, but Muse was.

• Like 1