Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

And how in the world could you say they decided that game when the Saints went up 3 and only needed one stop. Then in OT Drew Brees got the ball.

Because if they made that call the Saints win unless another Minnesota Miracle happens as the Rams would've had about 5 seconds on the clock after the Saints run out the clock and kick the FG.  OT/needing a stop wouldnt have been necessary

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

All the other blown calls and the massive disparity in penalties/penalty yardage?

The Saints are one of the least penalized teams in the league during the Payton/Brees era. This suggests that they simply don't do things technique-wise that results in penalties. I would never be surprised to hear the Saints have low penalty numbers in any given game, they are generally speaking a polished, fundamentally sounded team.

As far as "all the other blown calls" the refs appeared to be "letting them play" so to speak, and for every "blown call" you could find in favor of the Saints I am certain you could find one in favor for the Rams.

14 minutes ago, Raves said:

And I could go back through and pick up a bunch of penalties the Rams weren't called for not even talking about the Robey-Coleman play.  These refs were horrible period but they decided a game with that non-call.

And if any of these are called do they change the game leading up to that last call? Do none of these affect the game? They were just good no calls? That's the thing that is causing Rams fans to even be in this thread. The premise that there was only one bad/no call that affected the outcome of the game. There was as shown here a blatant facemask on Goff on 3rd and goal. Automatic first down and how much time do they run off the clock possibly scoring a TD to eliminate the Saints even getting the ball to have this PI call not made? 

50485323_2493413660733577_31433705654656

Everybody is acting like there was one bad call and glossing over everything else this officiating crew missed.

6 hours ago, Magnifico said:

If there is no accountability then what's the point?

If the refs make the correct call, the Saints kick the likely chip shot field goal and win the game as theres no time left on the clock.

It the worst call I've ever seen, even more so in the context of the game. There is no excuse for missing that play.

Saying "it happens" is just saying it's ok for the ref to miss that call. If Arians get the Bucs to a NFCCG next year or the year after and similar happens..."it's ok"?

I hope the Rams get smoked in the superbowl tbh.

Ahh, the “accountability” argument.

So you hold the ref who missed a call in real time accountable for something they saw once in real time? I thought it was a bang bang play in real time, so that flag would have stayed in my pocket.

While we’re talking accountability, to what extent do we hold the Saints accountable for giving up a 45 yard game tying drive when it mattered? To what extent do we hold Brees accountable for throwing an int in overtime? 

Everyone is acting like that play would always draw a flag and that the refs didn’t miss a facemask on Goff at the goal line that would have given the Rams a new set of downs at the 1.

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

And if any of these are called do they change the game leading up to that last call? Do none of these affect the game? They were just good no calls? That's the thing that is causing Rams fans to even be in this thread. The premise that there was only one bad/no call that affected the outcome of the game. There was as shown here a blatant facemask on Goff on 3rd and goal. Automatic first down and how much time do they run off the clock possibly scoring a TD to eliminate the Saints even getting the ball to have this PI call not made? 

50485323_2493413660733577_31433705654656

Everybody is acting like there was one bad call and glossing over everything else this officiating crew missed.

No clue what happens there.  Just answer this one question.

If the refs make the correct call there, do the Saints win outside of a miracle play?  Yes or No?

Just now, Raves said:

No clue what happens there.  Just answer this one question.

If the refs make the correct call there, do the Saints win outside of a miracle play?  Yes or No?

They have a chance to yes. Nothing is certain. Again though if we're gonna revise calls the refs missed we could be discussing this forever. The refs missed more than one call and they all have an affect on the outcome of the game whether we want to admit it or not. Hell that one pic the guy could be ejected from the game for that. How does that affect your defense the rest of the game? That's a pretty legit question looking at that still frame.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Well, that's because the one bad call was so blatant and came at such a crucial time in the game.

Look, I've been in your shoes. No really I have. Saints fans had to listen to the same stuff from Vikings fans and others after the 2009 NFCCG. And you know what came of it? Absolutely nothing. Well, they changed the overtime rules. Imagine your team's win being so irritating to the league as a whole that they changed long-standing rules because of you.

It means nothing. NOTHING! Enjoy your team. You might not get another chance. Ask me how I know.

1 minute ago, Destructo Spin said:

Well, that's because the one bad call was so blatant and came at such a crucial time in the game.

Look, I've been in your shoes. No really I have. Saints fans had to listen to the same stuff from Vikings fans and others after the 2009 NFCCG. And you know what came of it? Absolutely nothing. Well, they changed the overtime rules. Imagine your team's win being so irritating to the league as a whole that they changed long-standing rules because of you.

It means nothing. NOTHING! Enjoy your team. You might not get another chance. Ask me how I know.

Been a Rams fan since Super Bowl 14, you don't have to tell me how long I could wait for a trip to this game. I know that all too well.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

They have a chance to yes. Nothing is certain. Again though if we're gonna revise calls the refs missed we could be discussing this forever. The refs missed more than one call and they all have an affect on the outcome of the game whether we want to admit it or not. Hell that one pic the guy could be ejected from the game for that. How does that affect your defense the rest of the game? That's a pretty legit question looking at that still frame.

Thats not what I asked.

Outside of a miracle play like againt Minnesota, do the Saints win the game if that play is called correctly.  Its a Yes or No answer.

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Its a stillframe so who knows what actually happened there and i dont remember that play, mightve been putting dinner in the oven.

2 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Bad calls are bad calls regardless of what point of the game it happened. This was a horrible call in a season of horrible calls and yes it was certainly one of the worst. I'm not a Saints fan but I do cheer for them. As for the league changing rules because your team won, as a Patriots fan I know how you feel.

2 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

So the missed facemask call on Goff didn’t come at a crucial time?

I think what came of that NFCCG was you guys losing a draft pick and your HC being suspended for a season for the whole deliberately trying to injury players routine.

The OT rules needed changed for years anyway.

Archived