Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't think it's a candidate because of the circumstances.

The result of the call didn't immediately and certainly change the outcome of the game

I mean, if pass interference is called there the Saints statistically have a 98% chance to win there.

Not saying they didn't blow it in the overtime, but let's be real, if that play gets called correctly, its the Saints in the SB.

If I can be honest and say the Rams were the better team overall, and a more talented team, other ppl can be honest and say the Saints should've won that game if the call was made correctly.

I'm not going to complain too hard because I do think the Rams were the better/more talented team this season, but let's be honest, if this had happened to the Packers or Cowboys or somebody like that, the league office would be getting Molotov cocktails through its windows right now and they would be changing that rule ****ing tomorrow.

Just now, Destructo Spin said:

I mean, if pass interference is called there the Saints statistically have a 98% chance to win there.

Not saying they didn't blow it in the overtime, but let's be real, if that play gets called correctly, its the Saints in the SB.

If I can be honest and say the Rams were the better team overall, other ppl can be honest and say the Saints should've won that game if the call was made correctly.

right, it didn't immediately cause the saints to lose.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no it didn't, not immediately. They could have still won.

So you're telling me that kicking a field goal to take a lead with less than 10 seconds on the clock is the same as going to overtime? C'mon man

They got jobbed. It's fine to admit it, that's just the way life goes sometimes.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How original.

Put yourself in our position for a moment though, where we as a fanbase on here were the subject of constant trolling by other fanbases for blaming the referees for costing us games (and this specific crew in particular) and were perpetually told that "you can't leave the game in the hands of the referees."  So you'll pardon me if I have less than zero compassion for anyone whining about referees deciding the game.

Vinovich's crew is terrible.  We've only been telling you guys on here this for who even knows how long.  But leave it to FF to jump straight to hyperbole.  "Worst call in NFL history?"  I'm sorry, but that's just an absurd statement.

It was pass-interference.  I'll find the tweet if I have to, but one of the Rams beat reporters quoted NRC as saying the official told him that he thought the ball was tipped.  NRC was expecting to get called for that.  It was a bad call.  It didn't "steal" the win from the Saints the way some want to intimate.

9 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

It caused them not to win though.

Hypothetical: A Team is down 6 has the ball on the opposing 5 yard line with less than a minute left. The other team has no timeouts.

Scenario 1: On first down and goal Breshad Perriman drops a wide open pass in the end zone. The next three plays are runs for no gain, ultimately causing a turnover on downs and it's game over.

Scenario 2: On first down, second down, and 3rd down, they run the ball and get no gain. On 4th and goal Breshad Perriman is wide open in the end zone and drops the pass.

Everyone would say the drop in scenario 2 is the bigger/worse drop.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Hypothetical: A Team is down 6 has the ball on the opposing 5 yard line with less than a minute left.

Scenario 1: On first down and goal Breshad Perriman drops a wide open pass in the end zone. The next three plays are runs for no gain, ultimately causing a turnover on downs and it's game over.

Scenario 2: On first down, second down, and 3rd down, they run the ball and get no gain. On 4th and goal Breshad Perriman is wide open in the end zone and drops the pass.

Everyone would say the drop in scenario 2 is the bigger/worse drop.

Yeah, but we were only down 3, and our WR didn't even get the chance to drop the ball. He got mugged instead.

Again, I'm not even mad, I just don't understand why people can't admit what it is. What's done is done and it can't be undone. Trying to justify it reeks of....what, I don't know. Insecurity? or something

Hey guys . First off never played the game just love watching it.   Also i am a soccer referee.   Just wondering , in this case is it only a certain official that can make this call or are all the crew able to make it.  What im trying to say is if the closest official missed it can't another make it or radio to him and say hey throw the flag. 

I ask this because in soccer there was like an unwritten rule between officials where you leave the penalty box for the head ref. 

19 minutes ago, Destructo Spin said:

Yeah, but we were only down 3, and our WR didn't even get the chance to drop the ball. He got mugged instead.

Again, I'm not even mad, I just don't understand why people can't admit what it is. What's done is done and it can't be undone. Trying to justify it reeks of....what, I don't know. Insecurity? or something

Freely admit that. I also feel that if a handful of other plays were called correct this play at the end wouldn't have mattered and might not even have happened. It was a poorly officiated game as most all Vinovitch games are. Something Rams fans were saying all week and ridiculed for it. It sucks the game ended the way it did for Saints fans. But lets not deny that there were many calls and if we want to change one you have to look at the whole picture, which changes everything. 

Edit: Also I think you're a better person than I am. No way I'd even be on here for a few days after that game.

18 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Put yourself in our position for a moment though, where we as a fanbase on here were the subject of constant trolling by other fanbases for blaming the referees for costing us games (and this specific crew in particular)

I think people were talking more about it because it looked like Rams fans were setting up excuses in case the Rams lost, which is a bad look.

I'd rather people just say, "Hey, this looks like it should be a close game, it could go either way and these teams seem equally deserving of moving on," which is the truth. But instead it became this vibe where it seemed like a lot of people were saying the Rams couldn't possibly lose this game except for the referees messing it up.

Intentional or not, that's the vibe that particular set of complaints sends out. I'm not into trash talk, I think it's stupid and pointless and especially stupid when we as fans can do nothing to influence what happens on the field, much less "back up" your trash talk if that makes any sense. It seems a little arrogant to put the ref excuse out there ahead of time....again, I am not saying that was intentional, it likely wasn't.

15 minutes ago, ParTime13 said:

Hey guys . First off never played the game just love watching it.   Also i am a soccer referee.   Just wondering , in this case is it only a certain official that can make this call or are all the crew able to make it.  What im trying to say is if the closest official missed it can't another make it or radio to him and say hey throw the flag. 

I ask this because in soccer there was like an unwritten rule between officials where you leave the penalty box for the head ref. 

They can confer, though you don't see that happen a ton on penalties (just every now and again). The problem here was that the penalty wasn't called initially. They weren't going to confer and then throw the flag after talking about it. 

Archived