Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

Refs are terrible.

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield. 

Saints got screwed, but it can happen to any team.  In a game like this, the refs bad/non calls are magnified tenfold.

Saints had some horrid clock management too.

Feel bad for Saints fans and Brees, but that's just reality.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I know it's terrible to say, but that was the plan. We knew the NFL wouldn't do a thing, but we figured if the media picked it up, it would make that crew hesitate to make a controversial call against the Rams.

I saw it coming.  It is what it is.

Had we not gotten some great calls against the Steelers, the game would have been in LA anyway.

5 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I saw it coming.  It is what it is.

Had we not gotten some great calls against the Steelers, the game would have been in LA anyway.

Surely you would have just played your first stringers and beat the Panthers properly in Week 17.

Just now, Magnifico said:

Surely you would have just played your first stringers and beat the Panthers properly in Week 17.

Maybe, but point is, we benefit from some calls, and lose some others.  We've benefitted in the past, and lost the present.

It was a bad no call.

But the Saints had opportunities to win after that. And the even with that call I would argue the officiating ended up being dead even for both teams.

We're also all watching this in super slow motion. Let's say for sake of the argument that the ref thought it was 50/50 - if he calls the flag and replay tells us it was not a penalty, he cost the Rams the game. But not throwing the flag was not going to cost the Saints the game - it would put them up 3.

From that perspective if the ref wasn't sure, it's much better to not throw the flag.

If we want to discuss that the official should have known it was a penalty, I'm cool with that too - but then you have to go back and look at every play and ask that every play be called fairly.

The Saints had several chances to win this game. The non call did not rob them of that - so this is nowhere near the worst non call ever. And it shouldn't even be in the same conversation as the tuck rule since refs got to use replay for that call.

All time? Probably not, but this year? Yes.

Playoffs? Check.

As blatant as they come? Check.

Literally cost a team a victory? Check.

Tough to stomach this if you're a Saints fan, having your season ripped away like that because a DB decided to just try to decapitate a guy, then celebrate it like he made a great play while the referees fail to do their ONE job.

The fact that this non-call happened late, in a tied NFC Championship definitely highlights the call. Had the same play happened in a week 2, Dolphins/Bills game then it doesn't get any attention. 

It also can't be said for sure that the call absolutely changes the outcome of the game. As the game didn't and wouldn't have ended right then. Even if the Saints scored on that play, the Rams could have equalized and you can't say they would have just gotten a FG, as they took a FG on the subsequent drive but only did so because that's what they needed. Had it been a TD or go home situation, they would have changed their playcalls. So we don't know that future. 

It was really bad. The defender was definitely early. But some of the camera angles that were shown regularly make it look worse than it was, because from certain angles its difficult to judge the distance of the ball from the tackle. He got there early, no doubt, but some camera angles make him look like he got there extra, extra early. 

Rams are still deserving of representing the NFC. 

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

It was a bad no call.

But the Saints had opportunities to win after that. And the even with that call I would argue the officiating ended up being dead even for both teams.

We're also all watching this in super slow motion. Let's say for sake of the argument that the ref thought it was 50/50 - if he calls the flag and replay tells us it was not a penalty, he cost the Rams the game. But not throwing the flag was not going to cost the Saints the game - it would put them up 3.

From that perspective if the ref wasn't sure, it's much better to not throw the flag.

If we want to discuss that the official should have known it was a penalty, I'm cool with that too - but then you have to go back and look at every play and ask that every play be called fairly.

The Saints had several chances to win this game. The non call did not rob them of that - so this is nowhere near the worst non call ever. And it shouldn't even be in the same conversation as the tuck rule since refs got to use replay for that call.

Except, even watching it real time, it's not even close. It's not a bang bang play. Ball is 5 yards away in the air still when the Saints WR is tackled.

A bang bang play would be much easier to stomach.

Make that call and it's a chip shot to lead with less than 20 seconds left after Rams last time out and running the clock down.

Miss that call and Goff has 1:40 to tie or win the game.

What are the odds Lutz misses the chip shot? What are the odds Goff gets them in field goal range in less than 20 seconds?

Basically what I'm saying is that the no call cost the saints a trip to the super bowl.  Yes one of the worst in history.

The refs didn't do their job on that play and it cost the saints everything.

2 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Except, even watching it real time, it's not even close. It's not a bang bang play. Ball is 5 yards away in the air still when the Saints WR is tackled.

A bang bang play would be much easier to stomach.

Even if it was five yards, which I don't think it was..

The calls were bad for both teams all game. This call did not lose the game for the Saints. Hell if I'm a Saints fan I'm much more upset with the offense for that turn over and the defense for allowing the Rams to get into FG range at the end of regulation than I am the refs. Especially when you factor in that the Rams had twice as many penalties and penalty yards for the game.

When there's a big game like this, I think officials need to call a roughly equal amount of penalties on both teams. If they did call that PI and the Rams lost, there are screen shots already of missed calls against the Saints and you have to ask - in a game of this magnitude, with two well coached teams, how can you let a discrepancy like that happen? How can you call the Rams for two special teams penalties (on plays where there's a penalty committed every time) that backed us up and helped the Saints jump out to a first half lead but not call them for a single penalty?

How can you allow them to snap the ball several times after the play clock expired?

Instead I'm fine saying the officiating was even because the non call on the PI happened.

Archived