Was this the worst call in NFL history?

evilpimp972

I know the NFL dont care about a small town man in the midwest but they have lost a lifetime fan. Havnt missed a super bowl since I was 10, I definately will not be watching this one. Sick of watching the refs decide games, especially games of this magnitude.

16 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

Discuss.

I mean, I'm obviously overreacting, but it did look bad.

Everyone's overreacting because it just happened, but it will probably remain on a relatively short list.  But there are so many bad calls in NFL history this is unanswerable.

The one that sticks in my mind was the non-PI call against the Ravens at the end of the SB vs the 49ers  because that play handed them the title.

54 minutes ago, Raves said:

I'm always sick and tired of hearing that about the Saints deserving an * so I disagree there.  The only ones that deserve an * are ones where there was proven cheating that affected the actual SB.  So if it's found that the refs in the SB manipulated the game due to betting, or that a team in the game used illegal methods to effect/interfere/intercept the opposing team, then there needs to be an * and the SB trophy taken away.

Everything gets an asterisk nowadays. I was a fan of them way before they got so popular. Now it's all...

YOU get an asterisk. YOU get an asterisk. EVERYONE gets an asterisk!!!!

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, bomont said:

Everyone's overreacting because it just happened, but it will probably remain on a relatively short list.  But there are so many bad calls in NFL history this is unanswerable.

The one that sticks in my mind was the non-PI call against the Ravens at the end of the SB vs the 49ers  because that play handed them the title.

I can remember a couple pretty bad ones from back in the day. But one that always sticks out is the Giants-Niners non-call at the end of the game in the playoffs. I probably go to it because I remember watching the game and when that happened it was absolute pandemonium. I thought Michael Strahan was going to eat someone. Dude was livid. They had gotten completely jobbed.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/0ap2000000113878/Top-Ten-Controversial-Calls-Giants-vs-49ers

14 minutes ago, Runeon said:

I know the NFL dont care about a small town man in the midwest but they have lost a lifetime fan. Havnt missed a super bowl since I was 10, I definately will not be watching this one. Sick of watching the refs decide games, especially games of this magnitude.

I won't be watching either, If I want to watch scripted football I'll re-watch Friday Night Lights.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'd be OK if the outcome from this is that you can challenge a play such as this.

Not saying this isn't the way to go...

But I hope you are prepared for a challenge flag and review on many/most exciting game-changing big plays in hope of getting a holding call or something to take it back.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not saying this isn't the way to go...

But I hope you are prepared for a challenge flag and review on many/most exciting game-changing big plays in hope of getting a holding call or something to take it back.

Coaches gotta weight in on whether or not it's worth a time out, and in a close/late game, those are critical.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Coaches gotta weight in on whether or not it's worth a time out, and in a close/late game, those are critical.

Sure, but the bigger the play, the more the risk/reward makes that extra review worth it.

From a fan experience POV, right now we all have that 5-10 seconds of dampened reaction while we wait to see of there is a flag on the field. Now we have to wait and hope there was/wasn't some random hold 30 yards from the play.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Sure, but the bigger the play, the more the risk/reward makes that extra review worth it.

From a fan experience POV, right now we all have that 5-10 seconds of dampened reaction while we wait to see of there is a flag on the field. Now we have to wait and hope there was/wasn't some random hold 30 yards from the play.

I think the caveat here is that the coach has to specify what he's saying was missed - it's not an all inclusive review, just a look at one specific instance on the play. I'm talking name, number, what they did, not just "oh, he was holding". 

Will you get some insignificant hold that could take away a big play? Probably. But we won't have instances such as the no call on the Rams/Saints PI or the roughing the passer during the Chiefs/Patriots.

As far as the fan experience? I'm sure we'll all sacrifice a few extra seconds/minutes to avoid the fallout that we'll no doubt hear about for the next two weeks...

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

Put yourself in our position for a moment though, where we as a fanbase on here were the subject of constant trolling by other fanbases for blaming the referees for costing us games (and this specific crew in particular) and were perpetually told that "you can't leave the game in the hands of the referees."  So you'll pardon me if I have less than zero compassion for anyone whining about referees deciding the game.

Vinovich's crew is terrible.  We've only been telling you guys on here this for who even knows how long.  But leave it to FF to jump straight to hyperbole.  "Worst call in NFL history?"  I'm sorry, but that's just an absurd statement.

It was pass-interference.  I'll find the tweet if I have to, but one of the Rams beat reporters quoted NRC as saying the official told him that he thought the ball was tipped.  NRC was expecting to get called for that.  It was a bad call.  It didn't "steal" the win from the Saints the way some want to intimate.

I have a pretty good idea why you think this way.

Why couldnt the refs in new york buzz the head ref and get the call. They already use this tech for other things. Make absolutely no sense why they cant chime in on everything. Buzz buzz. Yes boss? Drop the flag. They work with them on replays and several other factors like touchdowns and change of possession plays. It's not like it takes that long.

You really dont need to be a genius to figure this out.

I've already cancelled sunday ticket. For next year. It really is getting old with everything they are capable of doing with speed and precision. 

2 minutes ago, Runeon said:

Why couldnt the refs in new york buzz the head ref and get the call. They already use this tech for other things. Make absolutely no sense why they cant chime in on everything. Buzz buzz. Yes boss? Drop the flag. They work with them on replays and several other factors like touchdowns and change of possession plays. It's not like it takes that long.

You really dont need to be a genius to figure this out.

I've already cancelled sunday ticket. For next year. It really is getting old with everything they are capable of doing with speed and precision. 

Doing this would only add a higher rate of calls being even more subjective than they already are. Too many chiefs and all that.

Blatant PI's like that one should not need a third party to intervene just to make the right call.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

Put yourself in our position for a moment though, where we as a fanbase on here were the subject of constant trolling by other fanbases for blaming the referees for costing us games (and this specific crew in particular) and were perpetually told that "you can't leave the game in the hands of the referees."  So you'll pardon me if I have less than zero compassion for anyone whining about referees deciding the game.

Vinovich's crew is terrible.  We've only been telling you guys on here this for who even knows how long.  But leave it to FF to jump straight to hyperbole.  "Worst call in NFL history?"  I'm sorry, but that's just an absurd statement.

It was pass-interference.  I'll find the tweet if I have to, but one of the Rams beat reporters quoted NRC as saying the official told him that he thought the ball was tipped.  NRC was expecting to get called for that.  It was a bad call.  It didn't "steal" the win from the Saints the way some want to intimate.

I completely 100% understand Rams fans not being mad at the call, because I would act the exact same way in your position - but some are  going to extreme lengths ("there were bad calls earlier so it evens out!", "The Saints had a chance to win after this so it didn't matter", etc.) to brush off a call that would've ended the game as "just another missed call, oh well!", when it's not.

I agree it's not the worst call in NFL history.

Yeah you can see by his reaction (and also his quote afterwards) he was beat and trying to save the touchdown. It was an atrocious call - one that would've ended the game. It absolutely, IMO, stole the game from the Saints.

Archived