NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread #WinItAll4theHAUL

Phire

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I like Sony a lot too, but think I'd have Jones ahead of him as he's more of a home run hitter and is also 2.5 years younger.

Ronald won't turn 21 until after the draft just like Derek and Sidney last year.

I like Jones a lot as well. Think they are both gunna be good, but Michel's ceiling feels a lot higher to me, and I just love the way he runs, reminds me of a less athletic Gurley. 

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Going forward until when?

Till next year. Clement looks to be a guy who could stick around. Ajayi is clearly good enough to start in this league, but I don't think he gets a second contract here. Sproles was our best RB on the roster before he got hurt last year, but his career is clearly close to done. The good news is, you can always find RBs in the NFL. This staff has also shown they prefer the RB by committee feel rather than having one go to guy, at least so far.

Some mid-late round guys I'd be into:

Rashad Penny 5'11 224- I love this guy, but everyone else seems to think he's a really flawed player so he may be around in the 4th-5th.
Mark Walton 5'9 205- Conversely, this site is in love with this dude but he's got an injury history. Explosive player though.
Josh Adams 6'2 225- Straight line runner with some burst for a bigger guy.
John Kelly 5'9 212- Underused at UT, doesn't do anything incredible, but does everything well and is built like a brick.
Akrum Wadley- 5'11 190- Undersized guy, but very good receiver who has the potential of a Rex Burkhead type.
Darrel Williams 6'1 229- Read a blurb about him a couple days ago, did some digging and he's worth a late round flier. Played behind legit pro RB's at LSU but is very talented.

I like Penny as a mid round guy. I am biased, but I think Kalen Ballage is going to fly up boards after the combine. Dude is a physical freak who felt under utilized at ASU.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am biased, but I think Kalen Ballage is going to fly up boards after the combine. Dude is a physical freak who felt under utilized at ASU.

I do too, that's why I didn't list him. 

I don't like him as much as others do. Lots of excuses for his lack of production at school. 

4 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I do too, that's why I didn't list him. 

I don't like him as much as others do. Lots of excuses for his lack of production at school. 

Yeah, he should have produced more, but I think the offense was a bad fit for him, and Richards stole a ton of carries from him the past two season for some reason. They are both good backs, but Ballage was clearly more talented, feels like the team just didn't lean on him as much as the could have.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Richards stole a ton of carries from him the past two season for some reason.

Everyone keeps saying that, but it just looked like Richards was the more dependable, productive runner. I had this argument on the NFL RB thread in the draft forum with someone who flatly blamed the coaching staff. When I asked why Richards (a guy largely looked at as an UDFA) was more productive, he said "the system is built for midget RB's like Richards to outrun defenses to the edge". When I pointed out that Richards is 5'10 220 lbs and far from a midget, I got nothing but "way to bring the strawman argument" rather than actual reasons that Richards was clearly the more trusted RB on that team.

Ballage looks like a giant 3rd down back to me. 

Just now, Jlash said:

Everyone keeps saying that, but it just looked like Richards was the more dependable, productive runner. I had this argument on the NFL RB thread in the draft forum with someone who flatly blamed the coaching staff. When I asked why Richards (a guy largely looked at as an UDFA) was more productive, he said "the system is built for midget RB's like Richards to outrun defenses to the edge". When I pointed out that Richards is 5'10 220 lbs and far from a midget, I got nothing but "way to bring the strawman argument" rather than actual reasons that Richards was clearly the more trusted RB on that team.

Ballage looks like a giant 3rd down back to me. 

Yeah, there is some truth that Richards was flat out just the better fit for the ASU offense though. The biggest problem Ballage has is early contact similar to Blount. When he gets hit in the backfield he is going down, and unfortunately that was a very common occurrence the past couple years. Ricahards had a lot more bounce off early contact and it showed in his average production. FWIW I think Richards actually could be a decent runner in the NFL as well, not going to kill you with physical traits, but has solid vision and a very high motor.

I don't think Ballage is a guarantee by any means, but this physical tools are there and it shows when he gets the ball in space. 

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah, there is some truth that Richards was flat out just the better fit for the ASU offense though. The biggest problem Ballage has is early contact similar to Blount. When he gets hit in the backfield he is going down, and unfortunately that was a very common occurrence the past couple years. Ricahards had a lot more bounce off early contact and it showed in his average production. FWIW I think Richards actually could be a decent runner in the NFL as well, not going to kill you with physical traits, but has solid vision and a very high motor.

I don't think Ballage is a guarantee by any means, but this physical tools are there and it shows when he gets the ball in space. 

Alright, well at least you gave me something other than just "the coaches are stupid". 

But my rebuttal to that would be, if you've got a RB who is entirely reliant on his OL doing it's job and giving him the room to get a head of steam, that's a pretty run of the mill RB isn't it? I don't care if he's 225 and can jump out of the roof if he needs the 2016 Dallas OL to be productive.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Alright, well at least you gave me something other than just "the coaches are stupid". 

But my rebuttal to that would be, if you've got a RB who is entirely reliant on his OL doing it's job and giving him the room to get a head of steam, that's a pretty run of the mill RB isn't it? I don't care if he's 225 and can jump out of the roof if he needs the 2016 Dallas OL to be productive.

I don't think he needs the 2016 Dallas OL to be productive,  I do think he needs a top 15 OL though. He would be an awful fit in Arizona or Seattle, but he could do serious damage somewhere like Washington or Miami. He is special in space, and he has the vision to find the holes, but for some reason he has trouble bouncing off early hits. Idk why it is either cause he has the size and he is going to run a great 40 so he has the explosiveness to do it. Maybe he can improve.

Also, I think he will greatly benefit from getting the ball from under center formations in the NFL. Got the ball strictly from out of shotgun at ASU which was another issue for him imo.

Potential needs in no order, depending on front office moves in March:

OG (if Peters stays,  Warmack cut? need depth)

WR (Smith cut?)

TE (Burton to UFA, Celek retire?)

RB (Blount & Sproles & Barner to UFA)

DE (Curry stay or go?)

DT (Allen to UFA)

LB (Bradham to UFA)

S (Graham to UFA, need depth)

Current picks:

Round How acquired 
 1 Eagles' own pick 
 4 *Requires extensive explanation (see below)
 4 *Requires extensive explanation (see below)
 5 Eagles' own pick 
 5 (Acquired from Seahawks for Matt Tobin and the Eagles' seventh-round pick in 2018) 
 6 Eagles' own pick 

Trade back from 32 (:D) to get a 2nd and 3rd maybe?

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yup. 

I also think we'll end up bringing Burton back. Gut feeling.

I could see them putting as high or higher of a priority on him than Bradham honestly 

having two tight ends is pretty important for the playbook, gonna be tough trying to get a guy as versatile as burton who also does a ton on special teams too.

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I could see them putting as high or higher of a priority on him than Bradham honestly 

having two tight ends is pretty important for the playbook, gonna be tough trying to get a guy as versatile as burton who also does a ton on special teams too.

Probably. But if he gets an offer to go somewhere and start, like say in Indy with Frank Reich we won't be able to match an offer. Lots of teams could use him. 

Archived