Is Patrick Mahomes the best young QB (under 30) in the NFL?

tyler735

On 2/4/2019 at 8:58 AM, tyler735 said:

It's crazy to think that Patrick Mahomes has played in half the amount of playoff games that Goff has so far in his career (2 games vs 4 games), but despite that, Mahomes has twice as many touchdowns as Goff in the playoffs (4 touchdowns vs 2 touchdowns).

I think at this point my under 30 year old QB Rankings would look something like this:

1. Patrick Mahomes

2. Andrew Luck

3. Deshaun Watson

4. Carson Wentz

5. Jared Goff

6. Baker Mayfield

There's a lot of great young qbs but not sure I agree with Watson that high. I'd honestly have him last of those 6. The rest is fair. 

On 2/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, LeotheLion said:

There's a lot of great young qbs but not sure I agree with Watson that high. I'd honestly have him last of those 6. The rest is fair. 

I think it's fair, give or take a spot. Watson probably did the most with the least in terms of supporting cast - I mean, what did he have outside of DeAndre Hopkins?

He had the worst OL of the group as well. This all being said, he threw for 4,000/25 and ran for 500/5. (All while coming off of a torn ACL).

I wouldn't argue him higher up, but definitely wouldn't put him last.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think it's fair, give or take a spot. Watson probably did the most with the least in terms of supporting cast - I mean, what did he have outside of DeAndre Hopkins?

He had the worst OL of the group as well. This all being said, he threw for 4,000/25 and ran for 500/5. (All while coming off of a torn ACL).

I wouldn't argue him higher up, but definitely wouldn't put him last.

You've obviously watched more of Watson but when I see him I'm not impressed. I just don't like how he struggles so much on the short/intermediate throws and I really question his decision making at times. 

He has the tools to be at the top of that list but I just can't see how he could be above Goff/Wentz if we are judging on what they've done. If we are projecting on where they'd be in 5 years then I think it is a complete crapshoot. And to be last on that list isn't meant as a diss as I really like all of those QBs. 

That being said, he probably should be ahead of Baker on my list. I just really like Baker's game/attitude to put him last on my list!

Edited by LeotheLion

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

You've obviously watched more of Watson but when I see him I'm not impressed. I just don't like how he struggles so much on the short/intermediate throws and I really question his decision making at times. 

He has the tools to be at the top of that list but I just can't see how he could be above Goff/Wentz if we are judging on what they've done. If we are projecting on where they'd be in 5 years then I think it is a complete crapshoot. And to be last on that list isn't meant as a diss as I really like all of those QBs. 

That being said, he probably should be ahead of Baker on my list. I just really like Baker's game/attitude to put him last on my list!

He reminds me of a middle class version of Mahomes with better running ability

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He reminds me of a middle class version of Mahomes with better running ability

I think that is a little too harsh on Watson. I'm hard on him because when I watch him I just don't see it but the point about his supporting cast is fair. I think if you swapped Mahomes for Watson that the Chiefs offense is still the top scoring offense in the league. He'd be a monster with Andy Reid's system and all those playmakers.

17 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think that is a little too harsh on Watson. I'm hard on him because when I watch him I just don't see it but the point about his supporting cast is fair. I think if you swapped Mahomes for Watson that the Chiefs offense is still the top scoring offense in the league. He'd be a monster with Andy Reid's system and all those playmakers.

Saying somebody is a lesser version of a MVP QB isnt a slight.

Thats still a great/very good QB. One that probably wouldnt have beaten Drew Brees for MVP ala Mahomes. But still leading a top offense.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Saying somebody is a lesser version of a MVP QB isnt a slight.

Thats still a great/very good QB. One that probably wouldnt have beaten Drew Brees for MVP ala Mahomes. But still leading a top offense.

I guess I hear middle class and think average. I think Watson could have been MVP with the Chiefs FWIW. That offense would have been perfect for him as well.

32 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I guess I hear middle class and think average. I think Watson could have been MVP with the Chiefs FWIW. That offense would have been perfect for him as well.

That's like saying (with an equal supporting cast) Watson is just as good as Mahomes. He is definitly not.

It seems like some people dont realize how special Mahomes was this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

That's like saying (with an equal supporting cast) Watson is just as good as Mahomes. He is definitly not.

It seems like some people dont realize how special Mahomes was this year.

No it's not. Alex Smith played at an MVP level in 2017. His stats were very similar to Brady only he had no narrative to win the award. Andy Reid has a very QB friendly system that has elite playmakers. It's not a reach to say that Watson could have performed at an MVP level this year. Would it have been better than Mahomes? I don't know. I'd guess not but Watson's skillset to me is one that would thrive in an open offense like Reid's. 

Also - I watched every Mahomes game this year as I live in KC and had him on my fantasy team. He was great. I don't think he was as great as Chiefs fans think he was.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

He wouldve been great with the Chiefs as well. 

No it's not. Alex Smith played at an MVP level in 2017. His stats were very similar to Brady only he had no narrative to win the award. Andy Reid has a very QB friendly system that has elite playmakers. It's not a reach to say that Watson could have performed at an MVP level this year. Would it have been better than Mahomes? I don't know. I'd guess not but Watson's skillset to me is one that would thrive in an open offense like Reid's. 

Also - I watched every Mahomes game this year as I live in KC and had him on my fantasy team. He was great. I don't think he was as great as Chiefs fans think he was.

He was great enough to win MVP...but hes not that great....

Weird

And MVP voters....and all-pro voters....

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

And MVP voters....and all-pro voters....

You are either misreading my post or purposely missing the point. I said the sentence above that he was great. I'd have voted for him for mvp. I also think he was in an elite situation and took advantage of that. I credit mahomes for that but think the hype train with him is too high. 

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Mahomes put up twice as many touchdowns as Alex did in 2017.

Bringing up 2017 Alex Smith does nothing but show how special and amazing Mahomes truly was this year.

Edited by Nightime

When judging Mahomes and Watson, I look at the career touchdown totals (50 and 45) and their playoff performances vs Indianapolis. 

They're both promising but I feel confident saying Mahomes is simply the better player right now, and it’s more than his surrounding talent 

Edited by Nightime